Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll recommend a story no matter who writes it, friend or not. If I like it as G5 said, I'll say so.
    Last edited by puddlejumperOZ; 23 July 2010, 12:59 PM.
    My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
    sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

A lovely little episode tag for Secrets, Second Secrets
      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
        A lovely little episode tag for Secrets, Second Secrets
        Yes, this is terrific.
        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

You know, this is just me, but could anyone recommend some gen fics that aren't expressly Sam/Jack or already on this site with their own threads? No i'm not starting an argument, but come on, there's a thread for Sam/Jack fic recs. I'd love to see more Gen fics recced here.

And i did just read Second Secrets. It was nice.
          Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
          Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
          Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

I would like to recommend the Fan Fic competition for all you writers to enter, Pol especially I'd like to see what you can do there Round 4 has begun, man your keyboards
            My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
            sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
              I would like to recommend the Fan Fic competition for all you writers to enter, Pol especially I'd like to see what you can do there Round 4 has begun, man your keyboards
              Oh, I'd love too, it's just a time thing. I'm so tight for "paying" writing right now that the fun stuff takes back seat. I'm enjoying the entries, though!
              Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                You know, this is just me, but could anyone recommend some gen fics that aren't expressly Sam/Jack or already on this site with their own threads? No i'm not starting an argument, but come on, there's a thread for Sam/Jack fic recs. I'd love to see more Gen fics recced here.

And i did just read Second Secrets. It was nice.
                Hmm... that's a tough one (for me atleast). Alot of the stories I have favorited on FF.net for other reasons besides S/J also happen to have S/J in them but I'll keep an eye out for some good, non S/J stories and if I find them I'll be sure to post here
                sigpic
                Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by Cort View Post
                  Hmm... that's a tough one (for me atleast). Alot of the stories I have favorited on FF.net for other reasons besides S/J also happen to have S/J in them but I'll keep an eye out for some good, non S/J stories and if I find them I'll be sure to post here
                  Well i don't mind friendship (like Second Secrets) because that's what was in teh show. I'd be a hypocrite if i couldn't take at least SOME sam/jack in a fic and i even add it to my own fics involving SG1. But it does get annoying when the majority of general recs are fics that focus on S/J, like it's the better part of the show. I'd think a thread that says Fanfic Recommendations implies Gen especially when there's more esoteric fic rec threads like S/J.

It's the most aggravating thing for a non-s/j shipper. I'm literally scared to click on what i think is a SG-1 Gen fic because invariably Sam/Jack have to get together. It's teh same in SGA with John & Teyla/Weir. I can't tell you how many SG-1 fics i've just had to click out of halfway because the focus on S/J just completely isn't my taste despite an interesting story. That happened to me with Wizard of Mazd and that was waaay before i knew Akamaimom.

Sigh, just... never mind, i should just keep my mouth shut.
                  Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

Have you seen sg_fignewton's recs? S/he pretty much only recs gen stories. You can see a master list of recs here.

Comment

Well i don't mind friendship (like Second Secrets) because that's what was in teh show. I'd be a hypocrite if i couldn't take at least SOME sam/jack in a fic and i even add it to my own fics involving SG1. But it does get annoying when the majority of general recs are fics that focus on S/J, like it's the better part of the show. I'd think a thread that says Fanfic Recommendations implies Gen especially when there's more esoteric fic rec threads like S/J.

It's the most aggravating thing for a non-s/j shipper. I'm literally scared to click on what i think is a SG-1 Gen fic because invariably Sam/Jack have to get together. It's teh same in SGA with John & Teyla/Weir. I can't tell you how many SG-1 fics i've just had to click out of halfway because the focus on S/J just completely isn't my taste despite an interesting story. That happened to me with Wizard of Mazd and that was waaay before i knew Akamaimom.

No, no need for that - you have a good point, and that's coming from an avid S/J shipper (there is no way for me to deny that, not that I want to ). I agree that, with very few exceptions, S/J ship fic rec's should stick to that thread and for this to be the place to rec fic’s that don't already have a thread dedicated to it. There are occasionally a few exceptions where a story is S/J ship but is also much more than that (and likely to appeal to others even if they aren't a fan of that part of the story) and in that case I would post it here as well, but in that case the rec would be more for the non S/J parts of the story - as I said, that is just my take on it.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by sbz View Post
                        Have you seen sg_fignewton's recs? S/he pretty much only recs gen stories. You can see a master list of recs here.
                        Aye, i've read quite a few of those And have gone to Heliopolis and searched up "Gen", as well as the novel archive.

Thanks for the effort though!

Originally posted by Cort View Post
                        No, no need for that - you have a good point, and that's coming from an avid S/J shipper (there is no way for me to deny that, not that I want to ). I agree that, with very few exceptions, S/J ship fic rec's should stick to that thread and for this to be the place to rec fic’s that don't already have a thread dedicated to it. There are occasionally a few exceptions where a story is S/J ship but is also much more than that (and likely to appeal to others even if they aren't a fan of that part of the story) and in that case I would post it here as well, but in that case the rec would be more for the non S/J parts of the story - as I said, that is just my take on it.
                        I love those stories that have ship as just a background element ot a larger story too. There's too few of those. I don't see any issue with reccing a fic for that reason no matter the pairing, but yes, something beyond the standard "Sci-fi story with sam/jack getting together at the end' would be a fresh change. All i'm really saying is that in a general fanfic recommendation thread, some variety would be nice. I've recced quite a few differnet stories including one with sam/jack ship (wasn't the main point of the story) and i clearly mentioned it. I don't know whether i'm just not getting the point of this thread or expecting too much. most of my reading lately has actually come from livejournal, and a few of my readers who've been in contact with me. That's actually proved the best because then people who enjoy my own writing are the most likely to know more of what i may like

Its sad for me to say it,but i really don't hold this thread high in my list of 'potential' reading materials.

Comment

I, too would like to see fewer S/J recs on this thread and more gen. I'd especially like to see fewer double posts (i.e., posted in both this thread and the s/j thread at the same time) and of pure fluff and/or gutter.

I don't expect it will happen, though, especially this time of the year.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Snip

An updated list of recommendations I've made.

Glennfiddich12
                            *Over the Horizon
                            *The Glory of Their Days
                            *The Unlikely Road Taken

Bob Regent
                            *Consequences of Actions Part 1
                            *Consequences of Actions Part 2
                            *Enterprise Squared
                            *Reunions are a *****

AndrewJamesWilliams
                            *Altered Destiny: Divergence Point
                            *Another Way
                            *Flight of the Orion
                            *Stargate: New Frontier
                            *Stargate: Reopened

John Harper
                            *Chronicles of the Crusade Part 1
                            *Chronicles of the Crusade Part 2

Bryan0711
                            *From Glory to Ash
                            *Dust of the Stars

Hotpoint
                            *XSGCOM: Mirror Image
                            *XSGCOM: Terra From the Deep

ToBeTasered
                            *Asura Path

Sayle
                            *Voyage of the Aesir

Richardson
                            *Smite 1701

prometheus55
                            *Reaper's Origin

Night33
                            *Stargate: Project Arctic Circle

Zcenicx
                            *Task Force 43

F-302 Pilot
                            *The Wicked Shall Be Vanquished
                            *Broken Circles Intertwined

Firematt97
                            *BSG: The Haephestus Chronicles
                            *Earth 2010: The Colonies of Kobol Reunited
                            *Galactica 2010: The Fleet Reborn
                            *Galactica 2010: Avengement

Lord of Misrule
                            *The Dilgar War
                            *The Last Star

AlbertG
                            *WorldWar: Discovering the Balance
                            *WorldWar: The Balance Destroyed
                            *A Thin Veneer
                            Last edited by Col. Shadow Quinn; 11 December 2010, 10:19 AM. Reason: adding more fics
                            Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Have you checked out the Stargate Novel Archive? There are too many to go through and pick out a few individual ones to rec, but they are all across the board as far as characters and ship or non-ship. Most of them will say what characters they are about and whether ship or non-ship. You can safely find pretty much anything you want there, if you're willing to go through the whole thing.

Stargate Novels Archive

In looking through the sgnewton stuff, I see one I really liked:

A Vacation at Jack's Place - a vacation gone south with intrigue and spies and terrorists, etc. Very teamy. I have it saved, and I think I'll need to edit my saved fics and move it into the "team" section.

I haven't read it in a long while, but the Gates of War series by Rebecca Ratliff (can be found on Stargate Novels Archive) is pretty good. Some of it focuses on Janet going on a mission with SG1.
                              Last edited by hedwig; 24 July 2010, 04:18 PM. Reason: fixing a typo

Comment

I just stumbled across this. It's great:

Mission: Improbable

You're safe! It's a team fic, with everybody, including Jack, Cam and Vala.
                                Last edited by hedwig; 24 July 2010, 09:52 PM. Reason: fixing typo

Comment

Working...
                                X