Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all you military guys out there in the forum or anyone that likes action on every page you should check the stories this guy made.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/803240/Glennfiddich12

Comment

Originally posted by SantaSlayer View Post
      For all you military guys out there in the forum or anyone that likes action on every page you should check the stories this guy made.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/803240/Glennfiddich12
      Done, damned fine piece of work as well, is he here on GW?
      My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
      sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Gen Varel has started posting Another's Universe the sequel to Quantum Destiny
        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

a bunch of fic to be posted this week
          http://community.livejournal.com/gate_women/

The ficathon was 'first times' for any of the Ladies of the Gate, sg1, sga, sgu. Gen or ship, slash or het. Only about a half dozen have been posted thus far, but there were over 20 prompts claimed, so they should be showing up during the week.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Judgment Day

A Season 5 SGA fic, it's the third in a series HardBoiled has done featuring Alicia Vega + a few OCs along side Team Shep. While the technical writing isn't that great, the idea of each story has been very very intriguing. This third one looks to be the best with with a group of Rogue Travelers using a familiar Ancient Technology to strike out against the Wraith.

I quite like the idea and HardBoiled has yet to write a fic he hasn't finished. (even if it takes awhile)
            Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
            Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
            Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Due to the Northern summer I've been asked to keep the voting open for the FanFic competition until July the 9th, so there is still time for you to read all the wonderful stories
              Last edited by marilynrose; 01 July 2010, 01:54 PM.
              Without the medical corps, there would be no SG teams left

wonderful Signature by my Daughter RogueRanger aka Melanie

Comment

Folks you have just got to read this by Garrowan5th

Aliens: Heart of Darkness
                http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6120506/1/#

It's only the first chapter but already feels as if it will be a grand story. Warning it is M rated.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                  Folks you have just got to read this by Garrowan5th

Aliens: Heart of Darkness
                  http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6120506/1/#

It's only the first chapter but already feels as if it will be a grand story. Warning it is M rated.
                  So, I'm just curious, and please read nothing more into this than simple wondering...are you Garrowan5th's beta? Or somehow associated with his/her writing? I ask because (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it), but you always seem to only be promoting this author's work and I can't remember seeing Garrowan post him/herself.

Now, hat sai, it's more than likely that I've missed some of G's posts, but in my pain-med induced (and inhibitions-lowered) state, I thought I'd ask.
                  Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                    So, I'm just curious, and please read nothing more into this than simple wondering...are you Garrowan5th's beta? Or somehow associated with his/her writing? I ask because (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it), but you always seem to only be promoting this author's work and I can't remember seeing Garrowan post him/herself.

Now, hat sai, it's more than likely that I've missed some of G's posts, but in my pain-med induced (and inhibitions-lowered) state, I thought I'd ask.
                    He's a friend here on GW, but that being said, he does write very exciting action themed stories and he has helped me with my fic which is in limbo atm as my right hand is in a cast for a while. Typing with my left hand only is sooooo slow. It does have the makings of a good story, that's the only reason I recommended it though. And it doesn't hurt to do so, I only wish it would do some good though

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                      He's a friend here on GW, but that being said, he does write very exciting action themed stories and he has helped me with my fic which is in limbo atm as my right hand is in a cast for a while. Typing with my left hand only is sooooo slow. It does have the makings of a good story, that's the only reason I recommended it though. And it doesn't hurt to do so, I only wish it would do some good though
                      Ah. thanks for clearing that up. And, re: Hand.
                      Spoiler:
                      gotcha. I spent a year in a cast a year ago due to twice breaking my scaphoid and subsequent surgery.

Comment

I think the thought is to recommend things that you don't exactly take a part in, or only authors with whom there may be a bias.

Case in point, i always recommend "The Way" and "Some Corner of a Foreign Field" to someone asking for angst/apocafic that isn't 'canonish' pairings.

But while i had no part in "The Way", i'm assisting Neela in beta services. So i'm obviously bias towards her work (which she does stupendously i might add, if a little drama heavy) And as such, i don't feel comfortable marketing it as a 'recommendation' because obviously i have a conflict of interest since she assists me as well.

That being said. "Judgment Day" which i recced a few posts back wasn't my idea at all. I recced it before i got in contact with teh author and i'm not doing beta services in teh same way. I'm a proofreader just to make sure the ideas and story itself are legible.

it's the difference between copyediting and proofreading. "SCoaFF" i copyedit for neela, while "Judgment Day" i just proofread.

Not to mention the fact that the Rec thread is - IMO only of course - meant for posting links to those fics that you've found by browsing and you enjoyed. Admittedly, it does lean towards specific trends in fandom, but for the most part fics that are recced here are of high caliber.

It also depends on what 'style' you want to recommend. Here's a few from my favorites without any real preference towards a specific ship or style of story. (well... maybe an emphasis on characters )

1. Mei and Uncle Jack/Mei and the Anomaly: (Drama/Angst)
                        Technically two stories, but the angst and sheer believability of the story of Mei, a genetically engineered little girl using John Sheppard and Samantha Carter's DNA in an alternate reality coming to ours, is one of the most soul wrenching stories i've read. It's two stories really, but while the first sets up the second, the second takes you to extremes of character drama and the problems with being "different" to a whole new level. This IS Sam/Jack ship as well as you can damn well imagine how good i think it is if ME of all people is reccing it.

Spoiler:
                        OTS, If Sam/Jack had developed like Mei/Jonathan. I'd be a Sam/Jack shipper.

2.) Turning Point: (Daniel Centric Drama)
                        A Daniel centric fic, it involves Daniel going back in time and encountering Egeria, queen of the Tok'ra when she was still a Goa'uld. Very Very well written, oh-so-Daniel, and the OC characters are brilliantly handled. The story itself is quite well paced too and while the sequel kinda disappointed me, the first is awesome.

3.) Murphy's First Law (McKay Centric Sci-fi/Humor)
                        This is for the McKay fans, what do you do when teh Stargate keeps spitting out a new McKay every 38 minutes?! Especially when teh world is going crazy around Atlantis and there's no way out!? It's a little irreverent, but i still enjoy it and would rec it to any McKay fan.

4.) Walk Beside Me (Sam centric)
                        Still on of my little faves, It's Sam in her first bit on Atlantis, and earning Teyla's respect I quite enjoyed this despite one little shark jump moment but it's throughly enjoyable and does both Sam and Teyla justice

5.) Spinning to the Xtreme! (Another Sam Centric, but...different )
                        Almost a crack fic, but it totally isn't. It's hilarious and the ending was so priceless i'm chuckling just now thinking about it
                        Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                        Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Please don't get me wrong, often the best way the word is spread is by our beta readers, but I do think full disclosure is a good idea.

Comment

With my other story, I agree. However, PJOz has had NOTHING to do with this new story. I didn't even tell him I was writing it unitl I posted it. If he likes it, he likes it.
                            sigpic
                            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                              With my other story, I agree. However, PJOz has had NOTHING to do with this new story. I didn't even tell him I was writing it unitl I posted it. If he likes it, he likes it.
                              Again...I'm truly not trying to pick a fight, poke at people, make overly subtle (so as to be obfuscated) suggestions. It's just a question I had and has since been answered.

I know that as an author I do not rec my own stuff on the rec lists. It seems a little...I don't know...self aggrandizing. But that's me and how I was raised (by midwestern grandparents). That said, I do post links to my stuff on the other threads on which I participate, especially when I update a story. It's not a rec, though, it's an update of postings.

To each their own. Again, not an ounce of offense intended.

Comment

No offence taken. But I don't rec my own stuff either, mate. That's just rude.
                                sigpic
                                385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Working...
                                X