This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

try finding sam/teal'c fic

But you do have a very valid point. It is hard to find fic when you're looking for a 'not so popular' pairing
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      try finding sam/teal'c fic

But you do have a very valid point. It is hard to find fic when you're looking for a 'not so popular' pairing
      I actually did search for Sam/Teal'c fic a few weeks ago. Oddly most of what i could find were Teal'c pining for Sam since she's stuck on Jack, or just friendship pieces. A few Unending tags but little that actually put them together that wasn't "reset" after the time shift.

Just for amusement though (since we're on the subject of Teal'c.) i made this last year for... some reason? I dunno. i just snapped a picture when i was watching Chris Judge bloopers (which are hilarious!)

Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Pimping my own fic

http://www.agentwithstyle.com/

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST
        $23.00 (US) * $29.00 (Can/Mex) * $32.00 (overseas)
        Type: gen
        SG-1 has a good track record of repelling invasions. And they do a pretty good job of stopping any aliens and keeping their little corner of the universe safe. Then again, if they’re going to repel an invasion, they need to know it’s happening. And by the time they find out about the Sit’ks, Earth has already fallen. In this captivating novel by Denise, with a beautiful color cover by KAM, SG-1 is quickly running out of time. Facing danger from both without and within, as friends turn to enemies, Colonel O’Neill, Major Carter, Daniel Jackson and Teal’c discover that the only people they can truly trust...are themselves.

sigpic

Comment

Pimping my own fic

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST
          SG-1 has a good track record of repelling invasions. And they do a pretty good job of stopping any aliens and keeping their little corner of the universe safe. Then again, if they’re going to repel an invasion, they need to know it’s happening. And by the time they find out about the Sit’ks, Earth has already fallen. In this captivating novel by Denise, with a beautiful color cover by KAM, SG-1 is quickly running out of time. Facing danger from both without and within, as friends turn to enemies, Colonel O’Neill, Major Carter, Daniel Jackson and Teal’c discover that the only people they can truly trust...are themselves.
          I'm going to have to ask, how does this work?
          Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

I clicked on the link but don't understand...we have to pay to read it? Isn't it...well...fanfic?

Pimping my own fic

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST
            Last edited by Pol; 15 February 2010, 09:08 PM.
            Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

It's a zine. Which means that you buy it, yes. It's a published magazine. sometimes they're anthologies, other times they're a singular story.

In this case, it's a singular story

sigpic

Comment

It's a zine. Which means that you buy it, yes. It's a published magazine. sometimes they're anthologies, other times they're a singular story.

In this case, it's a singular story
                I can't find any documentation on that site beyond buying and a useless FAQ. How does it work? Do you just send them a manuscript and they're licensed to publish the Zine as fanfiction by Denise? Do the TPTB get a portion of the sales through royalties> Sorry to get all business here but i am quite curious.as to how this actually works.

Comment

The site publishes fan stories for many fandoms. This is actually where fanfic existed before the days of the internet

I send them the story, they proof and edit if necessary and print it. When a person buys it, the majority of the cost of the zine is the cost to print it. Mysti may get a little, usually the author gets a trib copy (as in a free copy)

If there's any profit that I get, it's gonna go to Sanctuary for Kids.

They're not officially licensed or endorsed by MGM or any other studio. (If you'll notice on the web site, a good chunk of them are slash fic, that would never be allowed in an officially licensed book. The people that write the official books, Fandemonium for example, have to have their manuscript and its contents approved by MGM, so you'll never see a storyline in an official book that doesn't show the characters or universe in a way that MGM might find distasteful)

Fanzines are....Heliopolis before the internet

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Sky, for the explanation.

Please don't take this post as a criticism of your work, of 'zines, or of course, of fan-fic, as I, too, am a fanfic author. One of the things I treasure about GW is the opportunity to discuss and share ideas.

I did know some of this history as I did my Master's thesis on the fanfic phenomenon, yada yada.... And, *intellectually* I know about 'zines and their history (and that initially the costs of 'zines were to cover distribution (ie, copying, mailing, etc...) expenses with no profit for anyone at all). However, I will admit to a knee-jerk negative reaction to discovering I had to *pay* for fanfic. And, to be brutally honest, at least one small part of my negative reaction came from sheer jealousy, with that tiny inner voice shouting, "Why not me!?"

Now, that said, I am still curious about a few things...If we order a 'zine this way, are we getting an electronic copy or a hard copy? If a hard copy I can then understand the potential costs (though anything above $10 for copying and/or mailing seems a bit steep). I realize that you are willing to donate any (if you get any at all) profits to S4K, and I think that's great.

But...what about the others? I know you can't speak for other artists and/or authors, but it is a bit problematic for me to send money over and above a copying/mailing cost in order that a fanfic/fanartist gain profit from someone else's proprietary work. I say that with my own screenwriter's hat on, and also as a fanfic author. While I would love to have a dollar...even just 50-cents...for every hit I've gotten on every chapter I've written; however, I recognize that I am, in fact, "borrowing" these characters and that if I want to make money I must create my own.

Again, don't think I'm attacking you, personally, Sky. I am truly curious about the continued publishing and distribution of 'zines, as I just assumed that, with the advent of the Internet and free and instant access to fan-fiction, they had simply outlived their time.

Best,
                    Pol

The site publishes fan stories for many fandoms. This is actually where fanfic existed before the days of the internet

I send them the story, they proof and edit if necessary and print it. When a person buys it, the majority of the cost of the zine is the cost to print it. Mysti may get a little, usually the author gets a trib copy (as in a free copy)

They're not officially licensed or endorsed by MGM or any other studio. (If you'll notice on the web site, a good chunk of them are slash fic, that would never be allowed in an officially licensed book. The people that write the official books, Fandemonium for example, have to have their manuscript and its contents approved by MGM, so you'll never see a storyline in an official book that doesn't show the characters or universe in a way that MGM might find distasteful)

Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

ahhh okay i getcha That actually makes alot of sense it's annoying that there isn't even an explanation like that on the website :@

Comment

i think they just take for granted that their audience knows what it's getting.

this is a hard copy, a physical book, so to speak

You know, theoretically, anyone can trib to a zine. Mysti publishes anthologies, which are collections of shorter stories. I used to contribute stories to another zine that's since folded (the editor just got tired of doing it every year)

we'd put together over 300 pages of fanfic and then put it up for sale

There's a convention, Media West, held in Lansing Michigan every memorial day, and it used to be THE launch point for zines for the summer. and peopel would attend the con simply for a chance to purchase the zines and take them home.

they still do that to some degree, but the internet now allows people to mail order them.

I ws writing for a couple of years before I got my fic in a zine, and, i think, one reason I can continue is simply because i've been writing for a long time and have some name recognition (god, that sounds pretentious, doesn't it )

but, anyone can trib. It's just a slowly dying artform....that i don't think will ever totally die away, but has faded

sigpic

Comment

So speaking as someone that has never seen, touched, held a zine (lol), by book, you are meaning something paperback, or hadback sized? Just curious. The website would do much I think just to have an example of finished product for those that are new, but like you said, most people still purchasing zines are those that were involved in them years ago, and know what they are. If they are fading, they are not doing much to keep up with the current level of tech.

I've heard of zines, just never owned or purchased one, not getting involved in fanfiction until it was widely spread about the internet. I do recall in old author's notes of favorite authors, that long ago, many of my favoirite authors like McCaffrey, and Lackey, Norton, and others published in zines before they became known.

So I imagine the point of publishing in a zine is more something along the lines of copyright protection, recognition, and distribution, rather than just posting it up on the internet where everyone can see, and anyone can take, copy, and distribute even though technically you still own it, once it's on the net it's kinda everywhere, but if it's in print, it's dated and all that, and easier to prove ownership. Or at least that's how I understand it. But mostly I imagine it's the distribution and trying to get people to find your works, perhaps seek you out as an author.

And if it's a heavier bound book, though probably even if it's not, just the small number of copies is what will drive up the price versus say, a mass market paperback.
                          sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

it's 'full sized' which is to say 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper

usually printed on both sides, in about a 12-14 point font. A lot of them have original artwork and drawings in them

sigpic

Comment

Which actually sounds not too bad. The site doesn't go far to tell you much, not even length. you usually get at least that much when you buy a book. Some of the descriptions say it's novel legth stories, or collections of stories, but most don't. Pretty much, you'd have to know and be familiar with the authors.

I feel like some of these titles I've seen before elsewhere, wouldn't it be recommended not to post stories on the internet if you are offering them in a zine? to only publish something thats not been posted/published before? or would this be because they've been offered in the zine for so long, the author now offers them elsewhere?
                              sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

I think with a lot of them, like the stories that are in the Revelation zines, there's a year moratorium on putting them on the web. so after they're in the zine for a year, then you can put them on the net.

so that'd be why some sound familiar.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X