No announcement yet.

Jack/Sam Fic Recs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you download it and save it to your computer as a text or other kind of file. you can then read it offline on whatever device you put it onto that'll read the files.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      you download it and save it to your computer as a text or other kind of file. you can then read it offline on whatever device you put it onto that'll read the files.
      What she said!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell View Post
        FANFICTION TOOLS AND TIPS for copying, storing, reading fanfiction:

1. Fanfiction downloader

FYI for those who don't know about this wonderful tool, let me introduce you to Raimond's fanfiction downloader program. In the past, I would painstakingly copy and paste chapter after chapter of fanfiction.net stories to download into my Sony Reader. It wasn't until after I did said slower-than-molasses copying and pasting of 72 chapters of What Will It Take that I discovered this tool.

Oh, yes, and before I owned a Sony Reader I printed these 72 chapters. That was after my discovery of Sam and Jack fanfiction. I had to take this story on vacation so it was worth carrying a ream of paper (or so it seemed) at the time.

Fanfiction downloader does in seconds what took endless minutes in the past. However, one must change the font type and size for storing in your preferred reading mode.

I have had no bugs or viruses associated with fanfiction downloader. Here's the link to her page:

http://www.home-eisele.de/downloader_e.php

2. Microsoft Sans Serif

I did a little research and found that Microsoft Sans Serif is most recommended as the type face for reading on electronic books. It works for me.

Anybody have any other tips?
        Web-based version of the ff downloader, allows you to d/l as html or as epub. Brilliant piece of coding. Especially as the wonderful ff downloader mentioned in the quotes above does not work on Mac's (though does work brilliantly on PC's).

Awesome.
        http://fanfictionloader.appspot.com/
        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
          And what are you downloading this to? An electronic reader of some sort? You have to pardon me--I'm something of a Luddite.
          Sharon, until I get my iPad (and S. says I have "iPad tourette's" that I just randomly say "iPad" in the middle of conversations!), I d/l fic and put it on my PDA. I have an expansion card in it and have...oh, gosh...probably 100 fics on there? I'm always adding to the "to read" folder. I then categorize the rest thusly:

Stargate (ie, to keep, 'cause most of the fic on the PDA is Stargate)
          JAG (again, to keep). I also ID any non Stargate fic by genre (ie, JAG What Will Be, or SMK Story Title)
          Hot (er, self explanatory. You know, 'cause sometimes you're just in the...well, never mind)
          SMK (Scarecrow and Mrs. King)
          TBR (To be read, sort of the holding tank for fic)
          Maybe (fic I've started and, while it MIGHT be good, it didn't hold my interest, but I'll keep it on the PDA if I'm truly, truly desperate for a read and there's NOTHING else available) <grin>

etc...

And, with regard to fonts, I convert all mine to Times New Roman. Serif fonts are easier to read (leaders and trailers on the letters make for easy flow on the eyes, look it up if you don't believe me). I even wrote a macro and an applet to do that automatically. Yes, I am a nerd. <grin>
          Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Pol, So the microsoft sans serif is in the serif family that you recommend? IMHO I'm not crazy about Times New Roman maybe cause I see it at work so much. Ya know, don't like to mix work with pleasure! When you say PDA do you mean like Palm Pilot sized? Report back when you get your iPad. I'm thinking that will be an awesome way to store and read fanfic.
            sigpic

Comment

The CRAZY thing is that I'm thinking an iPad is the way to go. CRAZY with capital letters because I'm such a book fiend. I would like to be able to take fic on the road with me, though (because I go so many places, you know, but the thought is nice. . .)

I am a Luddite. I don't do technology--I'm very tactile and computers and stuff just feel. . .plastic. Not my favorite tactile sensation. But it's so much more convenient. . .

That and I tend to drop my books in the bathtub a lot--not very good for tech, eh? (And at that, I'm sure you're imagining the scene--bathtub, candles, book, soft music in the background. . .what I'm meaning is 14 month old in bathtub, me sitting reading a book while letting him play in bathtub. . .he pulls all the shampoo into the bathtub, and as I'm getting it out, in goes the book.)

SO I'm a Luddite with a Quandary. To tech or not to tech? That is the question.
              sigpic
              My Stories: FFdotNet
              My Stories AO3
              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

i would LOVE an ipad, but the price vs what you get has me stopping.

500 bucks for 16 gig? with no expansion slots?

i was just on best buy and lusting over a lenovo tablet pc for 449 that has 250 gig. bit bulkier yes, but it feels like you might get a bit more for your money. that said, if they had a ipad with expansion slots or more memory, i'd love it and be seriously considering one later on this year.

that said, if i had the money 'extra' i'd have one just cause they look cool

what i'm hoping for is to find mimicks later on this year and find a 'generic' version, maybe something that meshes coolness and the memory i want. Im lazy, i don't want to have to constantly sync things up, I want to dump things on it once and not have to continually mess with it, or deal with 'shoot, forgot to resync and now i'm on the road without stuff i want'
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

AkamaiMom, All I can say is that my e-book has made my reading opportunities better. I have a wide selection of fanfiction and books that I carry in one lightweight thingie anywhere. But, not near water!!! My first e-book had 64 MB and my upgrade has 256 MB with expansion slots. That's alot of fanfics!!!

Sky, You know, patience is a virtue when it comes to many electronics. iPad and generic versions will come down in price given time and not too long at that. For now, I'm happy with my Sony reader. I'll wait till you, Pol, and AkamaiMom get iPads and report back here. BTW I just checked and iPad has storage capacity for flash memory of 16, 32, 64 GB.
                  sigpic

Comment

AkamaiMom, All I can say is that my e-book has made my reading opportunities better. I have a wide selection of fanfiction and books that I carry in one lightweight thingie anywhere. But, not near water!!! My first e-book had 64 MB and my upgrade has 256 MB with expansion slots. That's alot of fanfics!!!

Sky, You know, patience is a virtue when it comes to many electronics. iPad and generic versions will come down in price given time and not too long at that. For now, I'm happy with my Sony reader. I'll wait till you, Pol, and AkamaiMom get iPads and report back here. BTW I just checked and iPad has storage capacity for flash memory of 16, 32, 64 GB.
                    Since this conversation began, I've been musing how fun it is that there is such a plethora of quality fic that needs to be kept and saved. What a pleasant problem!
                    sigpic
                    My Stories: FFdotNet
                    My Stories AO3
                    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

I just discovered this crossover story today and it's good but in progress: SG-1 and M*A*S*H. For those of you who aren't old enough to remember or don't watch classic TV reruns, the series is about The 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) during the Korean War. There is reference to Sam and Jack's budding relationship but that's it. However, the author has written other S and J fanfic.

Stargate 4077 (Remerkaba, author of Continuum Interrupted, recommended the title to the author)
                      http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5127299/1/Stargate_4077
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell View Post
                        I just discovered this crossover story today and it's good but in progress: SG-1 and M*A*S*H. For those of you who aren't old enough to remember or don't watch classic TV reruns, the series is about The 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) during the Korean War. There is reference to Sam and Jack's budding relationship but that's it. However, the author has written other S and J fanfic.

Stargate 4077 (Remerkaba, author of Continuum Interrupted, recommended the title to the author)
                        http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5127299/1/Stargate_4077
                        Thanks, I look forward to reading it
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Comment

My philosophy with the iPad right now is my general rule with technology - never buy version 1.0 LOL I know, I know, if everyone followed that philosophy then it would never get popular so I by no means think of it as a blanket philosophy, but being a young family with limited resources... yeah, never buy v.1.0. I suspect that the Apple is currently "testing" the waters with the iPad. I think it will out-do the e-readers for one reason and one reason only - versatility. In the end, as we become more and more integrated tech that only does one specific function will be outdated. Think about it - whether we like it or not - smart phones are all the rage - they play music, they take pictures, they have GPS, and they have apps. TVs are computer monitors and gaming systems play movies.

All that to say, soon we'll be able to not only read our S/J fanfic on a very cool iPad - but we'll be able to watch the vid that another person made for it too! And hey, isn't more S/J what we all want around here?

Comment

More S and J, for sure!
                            sigpic

Comment

Been perusing SelDear's stuff on LJ - found this and just absolutely adored it:

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                                Been perusing SelDear's stuff on LJ - found this and just absolutely adored it:

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish
                                Very cute story, thanks for the rec!
                                sigpic
                                Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Comment

Working...
                                X