Jack/Sam Fic Recs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canadianfolk View Post
    I just pm'd you. Let me know if it helps!
    Please reply with a post so we all know what to do.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
      Please reply with a post so we all know what to do.
      Here's what I sent, with some modifications. Much is repeated from above, maybe just better organized here:

I hope this helps.

If not, you might want to check out the Mobile Read forum for kindle http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140

(Mobileread.com is a great place to ask questions)

Download calibre at calibre.com

Go to Preferences and click on 'Get Plugins to Enhance Calibre'

I use the FanFictionDownloader plug in with calibre

So if I'm reading something I want to download in ff.net or ao3, I highlight the link in my browser.

Then I open calibre, and go to the FanFictionDownloader 'down arrow' and click on 'Add New from URL'

It will populate the link I'd highlighted into the box, (or I cut'n'paste if I have a few) and then hit ok.

Calibre checks to see if it's already in there (title, author, etc) and will say it's good to upload, or it's a duplicate, and do you want to overwrite (which is great for WIPs, which I won't read til they're done). To update WIPs you have to be on the first chapter/page/etc.

If it's on LJ or some other sites that won't work directly, I've downloaded dotepub at dotepub.com It downloaded onto my web browser bar (I use Chrome) This is NOT a calibre plug in. It's a green dot on the top right of my browser, but might be in a different spot in another browser. I go to the webpage I want downloaded, and click on the green dot, and it downloads the page, and goes into my Downloads file. I then import that into calibre by clicking the 'Add Books' 'down arrow', then 'Add books from a single directory' and click on the book wherever it downloaded. Again, it'll check to see if it's a duplicate.

Then, you can quickly then edit the metadata if you don't like how it's displayed.

The LJ ones tend to be the name of the website, so I edit the metadata to fix the author's name and/or the book title. I also delete the cover to save space, and change the tags to suit what I want them to say. I also delete the publisher, but that's just me (for an LJ story, it'll say the publisher is dotepub.com, which is NO help lol)

To put them on my Sony eReader

I make sure I’ve edited the metadata so the author and title will sort how I want

Highlight the book I want to add, and hit Convert. Make sure it's set to the output mode that you want (I like .epub since they're smaller files)

Convert ALL the books you want to put on your reader (because that'll 'fix' the metadata you've updated so far, and convert to epub or however you set your output format) - if you don't convert, they aren't updated. NB: I don't really understand this, but it's needed.

Go to File Manager and search for .epub (or whatever you chose as your output format) and then view by date.

Copy to the reader all epubs that have been modified on the latest convert date, or however you will keep track.

I have an SD card for my Sony, so I just drag'n'drop.

I don't own a kindle. If you are able to get books/files off your computer, you should be able to do this. Just pick the right output format if it's specific to kindle when converting the books. There are 17 formats, including .epub, mobi, txt and rtf.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks so much for the fic recs, everyone!
        And I've seen the first three. I'm trying to watch it in order
        sigpic
        "For All Eternity"
        The Five | Multi-shpper
        SamxJack | JohnxHelen
        Currently watching: Stargate SG1 Season3. Currently reading: Broken Wings by L Stoddard Hancock.
        Banner courtesy of couplechemestry.livejournal.com

Comment

New Campfire up!!
          No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
          It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by amaradangeli View Post
            I'll second the ones already recc'd and also, I enjoyed...
            Gone Fishing by Sally Reeve that is set after Season 3's Nemesis.
            Turning Point by SaraBahama which is a tag to Season 1's Politics.
            And Heightened Sensation by Gail Delaney (KissHerJack) set after Season 3's Urgo. (Link to author's profile due to adult material.)

ETA: I assumed you saw the first three seasons, but if you've seen different ones I might have other links that won't spoil you for your future seasons.
            Thanks for rec, amara.

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
            A cute little fic about kissing
            A Quarrel and a Kiss
            I giggle-snorted. Nice one, Trin.

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
            New Campfire up!!
            YEA-YUH!!! Thanks Pol!
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by jafacakes View Post
              Thank you very much for the link, I assume this plug in will enable all the chapters from a fic to be downloaded together into calibre ? I have tried to download it but am having problems, do I save it to my hard drive ? but then how does it get into calibre ?
              On a fic related matter, I have some fics from Annunaki does anyone know where she has her fics archived ? I can't find them anywhere but I know she has written many more than the ones I have and I'd like to reread them.
              Her fics aren't online anymore. I have many of them saved on my pc if you want them!
              sigpic
              My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Here's what I sent, with some modifications. Much is repeated from above, maybe just better organized here:

I hope this helps.

Spoiler:
                If not, you might want to check out the Mobile Read forum for kindle http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140

(Mobileread.com is a great place to ask questions)

Download calibre at calibre.com

Go to Preferences and click on 'Get Plugins to Enhance Calibre'

I use the FanFictionDownloader plug in with calibre

So if I'm reading something I want to download in ff.net or ao3, I highlight the link in my browser.

Then I open calibre, and go to the FanFictionDownloader 'down arrow' and click on 'Add New from URL'

It will populate the link I'd highlighted into the box, (or I cut'n'paste if I have a few) and then hit ok.

Calibre checks to see if it's already in there (title, author, etc) and will say it's good to upload, or it's a duplicate, and do you want to overwrite (which is great for WIPs, which I won't read til they're done). To update WIPs you have to be on the first chapter/page/etc.

If it's on LJ or some other sites that won't work directly, I've downloaded dotepub at dotepub.com It downloaded onto my web browser bar (I use Chrome) This is NOT a calibre plug in. It's a green dot on the top right of my browser, but might be in a different spot in another browser. I go to the webpage I want downloaded, and click on the green dot, and it downloads the page, and goes into my Downloads file. I then import that into calibre by clicking the 'Add Books' 'down arrow', then 'Add books from a single directory' and click on the book wherever it downloaded. Again, it'll check to see if it's a duplicate.

Then, you can quickly then edit the metadata if you don't like how it's displayed.

The LJ ones tend to be the name of the website, so I edit the metadata to fix the author's name and/or the book title. I also delete the cover to save space, and change the tags to suit what I want them to say. I also delete the publisher, but that's just me (for an LJ story, it'll say the publisher is dotepub.com, which is NO help lol)

To put them on my Sony eReader

I make sure I’ve edited the metadata so the author and title will sort how I want

Highlight the book I want to add, and hit Convert. Make sure it's set to the output mode that you want (I like .epub since they're smaller files)

Convert ALL the books you want to put on your reader (because that'll 'fix' the metadata you've updated so far, and convert to epub or however you set your output format) - if you don't convert, they aren't updated. NB: I don't really understand this, but it's needed.

Go to File Manager and search for .epub (or whatever you chose as your output format) and then view by date.

Copy to the reader all epubs that have been modified on the latest convert date, or however you will keep track.

I have an SD card for my Sony, so I just drag'n'drop.

I don't own a kindle. If you are able to get books/files off your computer, you should be able to do this. Just pick the right output format if it's specific to kindle when converting the books. There are 17 formats, including .epub, mobi, txt and rtf.

Good luck!
                Thanks. You rock!
                sigpic

Comment

I just pm'd you. Let me know if it helps!
                  Yes :-) Thank you so much. Followed your instructions and the fanfictiondownloader was the first on a list of plug ins to install so it was just click and away , simplicity in itself when you know what to do, lol, you're fantastic.

Comment

Okay, I need some help. I just read a fantastic taggish to 100 Days called Fragile Balance by SelDear. Problem is that it is supposed to have been finished by Denise (wondering if this is Skydiver), but I couldn't find it on her fanfiction.net page. Anyone know where it is? The first part was amazing and I need to finish it!!!
                    sigpic
                    Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                      Okay, I need some help. I just read a fantastic taggish to 100 Days called Fragile Balance by SelDear. Problem is that it is supposed to have been finished by Denise (wondering if this is Skydiver), but I couldn't find it on her fanfiction.net page. Anyone know where it is? The first part was amazing and I need to finish it!!!
                      http://www.jackfic.net/emeraldcity/au/fragile.htm

Comment

I've also got it up on AO3 (been working on getting all my stuff up there in case I lose Jackfic)
                        http://archiveofourown.org/works/475294

Glad you liked it.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                          Her fics aren't online anymore. I have many of them saved on my pc if you want them!
                          Such a pity that some authors of early stories pulled their fantastic works down. I'm so regretting that I didn't save the stories from sjforeverandalways.
                          Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Fic from various sites at odd times...
                            Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Looking forward to going through that!
                              sigpic
                              Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                I've also got it up on AO3 (been working on getting all my stuff up there in case I lose Jackfic)
                                http://archiveofourown.org/works/475294

Glad you liked it.
                                What's the deal with AO3? I had it set up for Sam/Jack and suddenly it wasn't and continues to say there is trouble with filtering.I've tried the other way and not being all that smart with 'puters and also with family concerns practically all summer I probably don't take the time--at any rate, I want Sam/Jack !

Comment

Working...
                                X