Jack/Sam Fic Recs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
    It's pretty amazing to me how popular some authors/stories are when I think they're absolutely dreadful, horrible drivel.

My point simply was that people vote because they're twit-friends or a FB friend's with someone, or for any other myraid of reasons not at all representative of the quality of work being voted on.

But - perhaps I'm overthinking it. It's just fanfic and will probably bring additional people to the thread for Ship Day.
    I think you will always have some "loyalty issues" whenever you are doing voting. Voting is by nature about popularity, personal or otherwise. It does amaze me what some people consider a good story. But we each have our own tastes. Hopefully, we can get a diversity of opinions and the cream will rise to the top.

Comment

^^^I read almost excusively LJs at this point, so I'll be happy to provide you with some rec's and links. I certainly hope that I'll have the time for that in July. Just let me know which ratings, if any, are a no-no.

And just for the record, while I agree with leiasky re popularity of some authors, personally I always vote for the story and not the author and I think the whole contest is a great idea!
      There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
      sigpic
      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
        ^^^I read almost excusively LJs at this point, so I'll be happy to provide you with some rec's and links. I certainly hope that I'll have the time for that in July. Just let me know which ratings, if any, are a no-no.

And just for the record, while I agree with leiasky re popularity of some authors, personally I always vote for the story and not the author and I think the whole contest is a great idea!
        I'm thinking we'll stick with anything I can link directly on the forum (so no mature fics). Makes it easier for me and keeps us to the broadest possible audience. If that's really disappointing to people, maybe we could have a category for favorite M fic. I know stories are basically self-rated; so I'd just have to go with the author's assessment.

Comment

I'm up for this, if it makes Ship Day more fun! (As long as it doesn't become a popularity contest as others have mentioned )

It does sound like it has the potential to get overly complicated though, if we have several categories and people putting forwards fics and then voting. I'm hesitant to put my hand up and offer help, as I have a feeling I'll be really busy come July, but like Petra, most fic I read is on LJ or A03 these days, and am happy to rec if I can. And so we should have some diversity at least

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
            I agree. I think a "contest" should be for the story, not the author ... unless, of course, it's a contest to determine favorite author.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate1013 View Post
              I'm up for this, if it makes Ship Day more fun! (As long as it doesn't become a popularity contest as others have mentioned )

It does sound like it has the potential to get overly complicated though, if we have several categories and people putting forwards fics and then voting. I'm hesitant to put my hand up and offer help, as I have a feeling I'll be really busy come July, but like Petra, most fic I read is on LJ or A03 these days, and am happy to rec if I can. And so we should have some diversity at least
              Yeah this probably will be a lot of work. I would try to make it as easy and painless as possible for myself and everyone else. I do like the idea of trying it at least once and see how it goes.

Comment

Instead of opening a new thread for this contest, which I'd really rather not do, would y'all mind if I use this thread as a place for everyone to post their nominations? It seems like a logical place for it. Hopefully, it will generate a lot of good recs (old and new).

Comment

Hmmm, I like the thing we already do where we post the master list after 'ship day and folks go and read it. I don't know that I'll have time post-operatively to contribute, so I'll just be reading...thus have no dog in this fight, so to speak (not that it's a fight, just a cliché).

So...that said. My only concern is this (and it's a really mild one). I subscribe to the "best fanfic quotes" thread and have noticed a tendency of authors to just post favorite HUGE sections of their OWN fics (instead of a single, short quote), which rather defeats the purpose.

Not saying I don't like the idea of folks posting a list of their fave's for ship day (I think that's what you're saying Highland, yes?) just thinking of instead of voting on fave's, just making a list of overall faves. Generally 'cause we tend to only post NEW fic for ship day and there are a lot of faves out there that fall by the wayside (I am currently rereading To Save A Life and it's sequel, which are both quite old, but faves of mine).

All this to say...a list of faves from members is a great idea, 'cause we all have diverse reading preferences, with the caveat that if it's a WIP, please note that.

Voting...? Dunno. I'm easy about that but as Leiasky pointed out, I've seen some absolutely dismally written OOC things win contests on the basis of author popularity, and that hurts this grammarian's heart. So...there you go.

Long-winded and really nothing to show for it.

Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                    Hmmm, I like the thing we already do where we post the master list after 'ship day and folks go and read it. I don't know that I'll have time post-operatively to contribute, so I'll just be reading...thus have no dog in this fight, so to speak (not that it's a fight, just a cliché).

So...that said. My only concern is this (and it's a really mild one). I subscribe to the "best fanfic quotes" thread and have noticed a tendency of authors to just post favorite HUGE sections of their OWN fics (instead of a single, short quote), which rather defeats the purpose.

Not saying I don't like the idea of folks posting a list of their fave's for ship day (I think that's what you're saying Highland, yes?) just thinking of instead of voting on fave's, just making a list of overall faves. Generally 'cause we tend to only post NEW fic for ship day and there are a lot of faves out there that fall by the wayside (I am currently rereading To Save A Life and it's sequel, which are both quite old, but faves of mine).

All this to say...a list of faves from members is a great idea, 'cause we all have diverse reading preferences, with the caveat that if it's a WIP, please note that.

Voting...? Dunno. I'm easy about that but as Leiasky pointed out, I've seen some absolutely dismally written OOC things win contests on the basis of author popularity, and that hurts this grammarian's heart. So...there you go.

Long-winded and really nothing to show for it.

Well I guess the nominations is like a complete list of faves and if you don't feel like going that step further and voting for your one very favorite you wouldn't have to.

As for people voting for themselves, I don't really have a problem with that. Some authors give themselves too much credit, some take too little. Hopefully it all comes out in the wash.

And what is truly awful is all a matter of opinion. I suppose there is a definite line when it comes to inexcusably bad spelling and grammer. (Did I spell that right? ) Although, even some of those stories may be based on a really excellent premise and have some great moments. On the other hand, I know there are some stories around here that are extremely well written from a technical perspective that I just can't stand.

Oh and I'm absolutely not suggesting doing away with the fic/vid/art list that we do every year. That thought never even crossed my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                      I'm thinking we'll stick with anything I can link directly on the forum (so no mature fics). Makes it easier for me and keeps us to the broadest possible audience. If that's really disappointing to people, maybe we could have a category for favorite M fic. I know stories are basically self-rated; so I'd just have to go with the author's assessment.
                      Hmm, I wouldn't mind M category, but I'm probably in minority, so...*shrug*

Anyway, as soon as you post the categories I'll start thinking about rec's. Here's hoping I'll have the time to actually track them down and link. *crosses fingers*
                      There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                      sigpic
                      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

As a compromise, how about we all select/agree on a list of categories, and those that want to, can name one fic in each, that is their favourite?

For example, a Apocolyptic fic, stranded fic, 'aliens made them do it'... etc etc.

Then we collate all the fics that everyone has put forwards and share them for fic day?

Just another idea

Comment

As a compromise, how about we all select/agree on a list of categories, and those that want to, can name one fic in each, that is their favourite?

For example, a Apocolyptic fic, stranded fic, 'aliens made them do it'... etc etc.

Then we collate all the fics that everyone has put forwards and share them for fic day?

Just another idea
                          If we're just looking to do a list of favorite fics by category than I would suggest someone start a list on the Ship Day Thread and just let people add to it. No adminstration/collation necessary.

Are people really that uncomfortable with voting? I didn't grow up with the notion that competition was bad and everything and everyone has to be equal. I just don't get that.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                            If we're just looking to do a list of favorite fics by category than I would suggest someone start a list on the Ship Day Thread and just let people add to it. No adminstration/collation necessary.

Are people really that uncomfortable with voting? I didn't grow up with the notion that competition was bad and everything and everyone has to be equal. I just don't get that.
                            I'm not necessarily against it - I was just trying to find some common ground for us all to agree on (my friends often call me the voice of reason )

And we probably shouldn't start a debate about equality on here!

Comment

I'm not necessarily against it - I was just trying to find some common ground for us all to agree on (my friends often call me the voice of reason )

And we probably shouldn't start a debate about equality on here!
                              I appreciate your desire for cooperation. I think as long is no one is ademently opposed, I would prefer to follow my original plan to ask for nominations for favorite fics in a few really broad categories. Take votes. And announce the winners on Ship Day (with the shared understanding that it's all in fun and all fanfic has some following and the more S/J fanfic we have the better).

If it proves to be too much work, horribly contentious, or an unmitigated disaster I will promise never to do it again.

Comment

I gotta say you will never find a totally fair 'best' scheme.
                                let people vote and, yes, they vote for friends or buddies (i saw this when I used to be involved with the SG awards....i helped tally the votes and could see the voter name and know exactly how they'd vote....many would vote 'party line' voting.....members of a group voted for fellow group members)

on the other hand, any sort of 'the committee chooses....' is just as flawed. because a group's idea of 'good' won't be everyone's.

There is no perfect way or totally fair way.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X