Help!! O_o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!! O_o

Okay people...I've been working on a fic called Land of the Dead, and I have a conundrum I need help with! It involves the Point of Origin symbol on the Stargates.

Okay. The Point of Origin symbols are unique to each 'gate, correct? Like, the Earth symbol would only be found on an Earth 'gate?

Well...My problem is as follows...If someone was dialing from another galaxy, would the Earth gate only receive 7 chevrons? Or all 8? I'm a little confused about this. Because I've read the that origin symbol is unique...I'm totally lost on this, and I can't get going again if I don't figure it out...so any help would be great!!

I know this sounds like something I should know...but I just wanna clarify before I continue with the story...
    "I'm not taking a bath with you..." - John

The recieving gate's origin chevron probably lights up.

Comment

As I understand, the gate symbols are constellations- but constellations will not have the same shapes when viewed from different planets. Perhaps ALL gate symbols would be different depending on the planet?
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
        The recieving gate's origin chevron probably lights up.
        That's what I thought...Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
          As I understand, the gate symbols are constellations- but constellations will not have the same shapes when viewed from different planets. Perhaps ALL gate symbols would be different depending on the planet?
          This could be. I know the symbols on the Pegasus gate are different than the Earth gate, which makes sense...but there are corresponding symbols on each, I believe. It's all pretty confusing.

Comment

Only in the movie were all the gate symbols different on different worlds - in the SG-1 TV series, the symbols on all gates in the Milky Way galaxy are all the same. This made it much more convenient for the filming crew to take the stargates with them and would only have to change 1 symbol, the point of origin, in order to use it as a new planet's stargate. Changing all the symbols just weren't feasible. However, you are right that all the stargates in the Pegasus galaxy are different from the ones in the Milky Way, but I believe even those stargates (the ones in that galaxy) are identical to one another, except for the Atlantis stargate, which has a special crystal designed to allow it to dial Earth.

Comment

Thanks! Yeah, I knew all of the Milky Way gates were the same, and all of the Pegasus gates are the same...It's just if someone is dialing in from another galaxy, would all 8 symbols appear on the gate, or just seven? Would the Earth point of origin symbol take the place of the other galaxy's point of origin just as a place holder?

Comment

Originally posted by dhaken666 View Post
                Would the Earth point of origin symbol take the place of the other galaxy's point of origin just as a place holder?
                I would assume so since that would make the most sense, given the other Stargate's symbol is unique. Any time I've seen it dialed the same number of chevrons activated on both gates.
                Last edited by shadowfx1; 31 July 2008, 12:02 PM. Reason: Quotes + More of a reply.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfx1 View Post
                  I would assume so since that would make the most sense, given the other Stargate's symbol is unique. Any time I've seen it dialed the same number of chevrons activated on both gates.
                  Thanks very much! This is probably one of the most helpful answers I've received!

Comment

Working...
                  X