Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HONOR--An Atlantis scientist meets the Wraiths. Up close.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay! here's

HONOR--EPISODE 25

This is short, a bit of a transitional piece.

Spoiler:

He had indeed entrusted me with his life. The gift of a Wraith.

###

Morning rose in the open doors of the terrace and I woke up with a start. In the zone between dreamless sleep and reality, the events of the day before seeped in, first like shifting ghosts then taking form, passing through my mind one by one, as real as if they stood in front of me—the Wraith Queen with my DNA and no feeding hand; the Commander with his grand plans for the Wraith race that, somehow, included me; the lonely feeling; the questions; and the frustrating lack of understanding of a Wraith’s mind; or rather of THIS Wraith’s mind. What was wrong in my world, was not in his; what was right in his world, was not in mine… And the nagging, corroding thought that I was nothing but a piece of his plans; an easily manipulated human; a vessel of DNA for his race. That worm of anger squirmed inside me.

I threw off the covers and sat up. Moira stood at the foot of the bed waiting my orders. I did not know for how long she had been there, awaiting my awakening; as if she was waiting for a Wraith’s awakening, the odd thought crossed my mind.

With the Commander’s visit, she seemed to have become even more—wasn’t sure how to describe it; even more ‘devoted’; or attentive; or… whatever. I really didn’t want to use the world servile. It was as if she had been injected with some drug or enzyme that had started to fade before his reappearance but had been renewed now.

The same drug or enzyme I’ve been injected with?

I met her eyes. “Moira,” I said, modulating my voice to display quiet authority.

She bowed. Deeper than before.

“Your master,” I started, “has given me his rights over you.”

“Yes.”

“I have the power of life and death over you, according to him. And being a Wraith, he truly means life and death. I am correct in that?”

“Yes.” She bowed again.

“If your loyalty fails me, he has given me the choice to eliminate you by whatever means I think appropriate.” I was listening to myself and shuddered a bit; I was doing a very impressive imitation of a Wraith. “I will not kill you with my own hands,” I continued on the path of threats, “but I will lift my protecting hand off you. You know what that means?”

She nodded, She was a little bit pale.

“But, this is not of concern.” I smiled. “You have proven your loyalty and even your friendship.”

She nodded and lifted her gaze. “After all,” she said softly, “it is easier to love a human master than a Wraith. Although…” she attempted her own smile, “a human could never be the benevolent and perfect master a Wraith could be.” She stared at me. “They certainly would not crave our friendship or affection.”

Her words made me pause. Was that an advice, or warning? I let it pass, my mind bent on the benevolence of the Wraith. Whatever it was, I was certain a human could not match the form it took. It was what had molded Moira’s soul of a worshipper. And that is what I wanted to know. “Tell me, Moira—how does a Wraith obtain and keep your devotion?”

Obviously, it didn’t always work; to wit the killing of the Wraith I had encountered on the planet of winds.

Moira swallowed. “They do it by taking our life then giving it back to us.”

That we all knew. “That’s all?” I said dismissively.

“They take the life slowly, the pain prolonged. But, then when they return it, it is the sweetest and most exhilarating feeling any human could experience. You would not know it, because when the gift was given to you, it was for healing.” Her eyes were gleaming with some inner delight. “You would not know…” She suddenly seemed lost in her own thoughts. There was a light tremor in her hands, as if she was experiencing a whiff of the pleasure of the gift. She looked at me almost feverishly. “It becomes a craving that burns in our gut. We desire it more and more with each gift, a longing that nothing can satisfy, until we break down like madmen and howl for it until it is given to us; if we deserve it. If not, we die at our own hand to relieve the pain.”

I looked at her without hiding my disquiet at her words. “All these years you’ve been with me…”

“It was hell. But, it was my sacrifice for my master.”

“How do they give you this gift?”

“The worshippers’ gift,” she specified. “The same as they take our life. With the hand on our throat.” She seemed puzzled at my question.

“Tell me in detail.”

She took in a breath. “It is not an easy task for the Wraith,” she said. “That is why it is done rarely, and only to the ones who have been singled out for devotion. We are left to desire it until we nearly go mad. The Wraith sense when that happens. We are summoned by the Commander, or the Queen if there’s one. If we are found to be especially devoted and of service, then the gift is given to us by the Queen or commander themselves. If it is only to maintain us, then it is given by the other Wraith, who are less skilled in this. Sometimes the heart stops. We kneel and worship and plead with traditional words. Ceremonially, we open the front of our vestments, and the Wraith grabs us and slowly, very slowly takes our life away, until we scream in agony. And then, at that special point, where pain and anticipation become overwhelming, slowly they return life to us, the pleasure of which obliterates everything.”

“When the Commander was here, yesterday, did he give you the worshipper’s gift?” Something weird squirmed inside me. Surely not jealousy.

“Of course,” she said, suddenly sounding proud. “I have served him and you, as no other worshipper.”

Yes, of course… “What about the ones who turned against him?”

She sighed. “They were not born in the hive to worshippers,” she answered. “They tempted us and misled us. We paid dearly for it.”

“How about Doria?”

Her face darkened. “She’s dead. The Commander withdrew the gift of life from her because of her hate for you. She died by her own hand.”

I trembled inside. This was indeed a game of life and death. “When?”

“After my fellow worshipers were taken back from you. She had been plotting against you.”

“Why?”

“She was misled and had lost her way. She was jealous of you, that you have taken the Commander’s interest away from her.”

“Interest?”

“Doria was his most devoted worshipper. She reported to him on everything and she was our mistress for the Wraiths. The Commander spoke to her mind. But she had the audacity to put herself on the same footing as you, to think of you as equal to her in the mind of the Commander. She was fatally mistaken.”

“I was not equal to a worshipper?” I asked, the demon of my suspicions—that I was not more than another form of worshipper to the Commander—rearing its ugly head.

“Oh, no!” Moira flinched. “Never! From the beginning you were above us. You had honored the Wraith as only a Wraith would; and you took the Commander as a mate as only a Queen would. You gave the Wraith a Queen, as only a Wraith queen would. You have been given the gifts of a Queen.”

It took me a while to ask the next question as an unexpected feeling of happiness filled me. But, startled by it, I tried to suppress it, cautioning myself of the foolishness of such a feeling. I shook my head. Absurd. ABSURD. I then had to ask the next question: “Are the male Wraiths male like humans?”

Moira seemed to ponder the question for a second. “I hear that they are.”

“You hear?”

“I hear that they discarded that ability when they turned against the Ancients, and separated themselves from all human ways.” She added, softly: “Their pleasure is elsewhere. No human knows anything of it.

With one exception, perhaps?

“With one exception,” Moira echoed my thoughts. “I have never heard of another, besides you.”

I rose from bed and paced to the terrace doors. “When they give you the worshipper’s gift, do they always take your life first?” I turned to face her again.

“Yes. Otherwise it would not be what it is.”

My breath was a bit shallow. The Commander had not taken my life first. He had simply put his hand on me and drew me into another world. And then, my hand in his—

“Do they ever touch you in any other way?” I asked. “Like putting your hand in their feeding hand—“

She looked at me indignantly. “That is done only between a Wraith and his Queen.”

My heart stopped and then fluttered quickly. She added, gravely: “He has given you his life.” She pointed to the square piece of blue amber on my night stand.

So, she knew what it was… I stared at it and then picked it up. I put it in my right palm. It was cold and lifeless. I looked at Moira.

“It will alight when needed,” she said.

I held it in both my hands. There was a soft point of heat in my palm. But, I said nothing of that.

“What will happen to you, Moira, without the Wraith’s gift? They are gone.”

Moira straightened her shoulders. “The Commander has given me to you. He has given me the rest of my natural life. Doing without the Gift is how I will prove my true devotion and loyalty.”

A thought suddenly crossed my mind. “What happens to the other worshipers now, while the Wraith are in hibernation?”

Moira pushed her chin up and looked squarely at me. “They have performed the ultimate act of devotion to their Wraith lords—they were fed upon to provide the sustenance the Commander and the hive will need for hibernation.”

They were all dead… I felt cold. Very cold.

“It’s only you and me,” Moira whispered. “To protect the Wraith.”

I clasped the amber communicator in my hands. I said: “And what are exactly the orders the Commander has given you?”

“To protect you.”

“Protect me?”

“I would protect you by informing the hive that you are in danger.”

“Really…”

“Also, I am to inform you of anything I hear that might threaten and harm the Commander and his Queen and hive.”

“And what about informing him of any harm I might want to bring on his hive?”

She looked at me long. “You will not harm the Commander and his hive.”

“You are certain…”

“You are the Keeper of the Commander’s hive.” She added. “Like no other Keeper the Wraith has ever had.”

Those words were almost incomprehensible to me. Yet, in some bizarre way, in a way one would find only among the mad, they spoke the truth.

“Are the Wraith known for insanity?” I quipped, feeling as if I’ve fallen into a vortex of madness.

Moira smiled: “No. They are known for their intelligence and cunning; and clever plans.”

“Then how do you explain this?!” I spread my arms out.

“You belong more to Wraith than to humans. You are the Queen of the strongest alliance and thus the Keeper.” She bowed deeper. “My Queen.”
    HONOR. A story. http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...22#post8549622

sigpic

Comment

that chapter kind of confuses me a little...

Spoiler:
      is moira implying elena is the new queen now?

and if so, I think you and I think too much alike...

well done, again!

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
        that chapter kind of confuses me a little...

Spoiler:
        is moira implying elena is the new queen now?

and if so, I think you and I think too much alike...

well done, again!

Spoiler:
        Moira speaks from her limited view of the world. Elena has yet to fully understand the position she's in.

sigpic

Comment

*claps hands*
          Bravo on another well written and fascinating installment.
          Spoiler:

And by the way, how in the world did Moira get alone with the Commander in the first place to have the Gift given to her? Sneaky minx, it had to be done on the sly or the Marines would have immediately shot him! Can understand Elena feeling jealous about that....
          Last edited by toomuchcaf; 15 September 2008, 04:23 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchcaf View Post
            *claps hands*
            Bravo on another well written and fascinating installment.
            Spoiler:

A keeper huh? And by the way, how in the world did Moira get alone with the Commander in the first place to have the Gift given to her? Sneaky minx, it had to be done on the sly or the Marines would have immediately shot him! Can understand Elena feeling jealous about that....

Mmmmmm, good point. That's what happens when you posts episodes and can't go back to make changes... Let's see...
            Spoiler:
            May be while the Commander was alone with Elena on the terrace and he put her in LaLaLand with his hand, Moira came in and zap! done. Then they both slithered out... How is that?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler64 View Post
              Mmmmmm, good point. That's what happens when you posts episodes and can't go back to make changes... Let's see...
              Spoiler:
              May be while the Commander was alone with Elena on the terrace and he put her in LaLaLand with his hand, Moira came in and zap! done. Then they both slithered out... How is that?
              That works

Spoiler:
              I didn't mean to poke holes , I was actually just thinking about how Elena would feel on Moira being alone with her Commander. Definitely something to be jealous of
              sigpic

Comment

That works

Spoiler:
                I didn't mean to poke holes , I was actually just thinking about how Elena would feel on Moira being alone with her Commander. Definitely something to be jealous of
                No, no, you were not poking holes. It was a very good point; the sort of thing that would drive me mad if I read it inn someone else's piece. But, I found an explanation, right? Or I'll send Ronon to take care of it.

sigpic

Comment

That works

Spoiler:
                  Spoiler:
                  As for the jealous part--I wondered if that made sense. But, there's also another issue with Elena--she is afraid she's just another worshipper to the Commander. That is why she asks the questions she does. She would feel deeply hurt by it, as if her affection for the Commander would be unrequithed. Like a typical person in love, she's looking for confirmation of returned affection. And, yes, jealousy as well that the commander would be sharing the same thing with Moira. But, she finds out, he is not. She is special.

sigpic

Comment

Thank you again T64!

Spoiler:
                    AAAh....so the commander DOES appreciate Elena's feelings for him and her sincere attempts to understand him. (Someone defined "love" as a way of seeing; ultimately the only way of seeing because it sees and accepts the truth in someone.) Your hypocrytical Commander is a romantic and an idealist, not the cold, detached manipulator he wants to believe he is.

On another note:
                    Spoiler:
                    Don't the Whirling Dervishes believe that thay can draw in energy with the right hand and expel it with the left? That's why they spin with the right palm turned upward and the left palm turned towards the earth. Also, once after a meeting, a woman approached me, looked at my aura, and said "I want to give you some energy," and she placed her hand on me, but i don't recall which hand.
                    So there are humans who can manipulate energy without benefit of a feeding hand.

Will Elena discover that she can give Moira the Gift of Life?
                    And how funny if she had to give it to the Commander himself!

And finally, here's some silliness:

Spoiler:
                    If a Wraith places his hand on a victim's heart chakra and begins to feed, and the victim simultaneously presses his right hand against the Wraith's throat chakra, will the "negative pressure" caused by energy flowing out of the victim's body draw in the Wraith's energy, and as long as they remain in that position will they form a closed loop that causes the energy to go round and round and round?
                    Well, don't look at me like that.... it's only 5a.m..... high time to get some coffee!

(TS Hannah barreling up the east coast brought up the question of flooding and plumbing backing up and negative pressure in pipes.)

Comment

A short transitional piece, hum, still you managed to pack quite a punch with it.

I'm working my way back to chapter 1. That

Spoiler:

The hand Elena's he gave her his life. either he is incredible stupid which he is not or he is very confident. I still come back to the hand.
                      Moria what a sacrifice she has made for the Wraith,still "We are born to die"
                      Neither Elena or Moria without the gift of life can survive until the Wraith come back from hibinate. Or will Moria give her life force to Elena to keep her alive. Or will Elena find a way to use what the Commander gave her (the hand gift)to keep them both alive.
                      The Gifts of a Queen???? - a Queen can give live to other Wraith and she is only one who with the right male can produce a Queen. But why can't the Commander use Amanda? She produced with the Commander Elena grandsons who are being trained to
                      find a Queen. Why can't Amanda produce a Queen? Unless the new Queen could feed as all other Wraith do. That the Commander does not want - hence needing Elena.
                      A Keeper Queen, could his gift invade her body cells turning Elena into a form of a wraith?

Questions question, this story is turning darker, or maybe cos I had a c`~^ty day my theoughts are turning to a darker side.

Hum too many question I have and it's nearly 1am UK time. I loved the "short transitional piece" got to go.MCH
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

Originally posted by MCH View Post
                        A short transitional piece, hum, still you managed to pack quite a punch with it.

I'm working my way back to chapter 1. That

Spoiler:

The hand Elena's he gave her his life. either he is incredible stupid which he is not or he is very confident. I still come back to the hand.
                        Moria what a sacrifice she has made for the Wraith,still "We are born to die"
                        Neither Elena or Moria without the gift of life can survive until the Wraith come back from hibinate. Or will Moria give her life force to Elena to keep her alive. Or will Elena find a way to use what the Commander gave her (the hand gift)to keep them both alive.
                        The Gifts of a Queen???? - a Queen can give live to other Wraith and she is only one who with the right male can produce a Queen. But why can't the Commander use Amanda? She produced with the Commander Elena grandsons who are being trained to
                        find a Queen. Why can't Amanda produce a Queen? Unless the new Queen could feed as all other Wraith do. That the Commander does not want - hence needing Elena.
                        A Keeper Queen, could his gift invade her body cells turning Elena into a form of a wraith?

Questions question, this story is turning darker, or maybe cos I had a c`~^ty day my theoughts are turning to a darker side.

Hum too many question I have and it's nearly 1am UK time. I loved the "short transitional piece" got to go.MCH
                        Quick answer here

Spoiler:

If you go back in the story, you will see that the Queen creates the male Wraiths with the Ship Wraith. Remeber, the ship is a living Wraith and is part of the creation of new Wraith. Only a Queen is created between a Queen and a male Wraith like the Commander. Also, even the Wraith do not use the same DNA pool.

sigpic

Comment

great epi t64!!!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler64 View Post
                            Quick answer here

Spoiler:

If you go back in the story, you will see that the Queen creates the male Wraiths with the Ship Wraith. Remeber, the ship is a living Wraith and is part of the creation of new Wraith. Only a Queen is created between a Queen and a male Wraith like the Commander. Also, even the Wraith do not use the same DNA pool.
                            Yes thats what I was looking for, thanks. As for dark theoughts I have had a c~`~y week,with my job.
                            OT traveler 64
                            Spoiler:
                            Let's just say never work in an office with 2 managers. one been there for years-my immediate line manager and the newbi on the block who really is an ars~h~~e. I could have lost my job due to something she did. Matter resolved but you see why my theoughts are upside down and very irrational.

I have read your story, thanks for your comments, I just need to settle back down and start to thinK clearly. It was short but a great setup to where every you deceid to go.
                            The "boys" are getting excited about Honor!!!!
                            MCH
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

Good job as always T64! I love how Elena hesitates between excessive doubt and excessive confidence about how the Commander sees her. Also you have to be prescient, because the attempts from your Commander to escape the wraith matriarchal society match
                              Spoiler:
                              what Todd also does in "The Queen"! Their means differ, but the base goal is the same.

Originally posted by keeperofthehive View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              Will Elena discover that she can give Moira the Gift of Life?
                              And how funny if she had to give it to the Commander himself!
                              Ooh, I like this idea, especially Elena giving Moira the gift of the worshippers.
                              My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                              Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MCH View Post
                                Yes thats what I was looking for, thanks. As for dark theoughts I have had a c~`~y week,with my job.
                                OT traveler 64
                                Spoiler:
                                Let's just say never work in an office with 2 managers. one been there for years-my immediate line manager and the newbi on the block who really is an ars~h~~e. I could have lost my job due to something she did. Matter resolved but you see why my theoughts are upside down and very irrational.

I have read your story, thanks for your comments, I just need to settle back down and start to thinK clearly. It was short but a great setup to where every you deceid to go.
                                The "boys" are getting excited about Honor!!!!
                                MCH
                                I hope I will not disappoint the 'boys'!

Yeah, just settle down and let the wave go by. Unfortunately, this kind of thing is part of the working life. It's a matter of vigilance, survival skills and office politics, unfortunately. I thought, though, for some naive reason, that this kind of things only happen on my side of the world. Working for two managers, especially if one of them feels the need to make his/her mark, is not a good thing. Far from giving you advice from across a continent and an ocean, but from my experience as a manager (in my other life...) the situation is even more un-attainable for the managers. Just sit by and they'll come apart in this arrangement. Just don't get caught in the crossfire. I don't know enough details to say more than that.

OK, back to the 'boys.'

Once you settle down, I look forward to your thoughts.

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
                                Good job as always T64! I love how Elena hesitates between excessive doubt and excessive confidence about how the Commander sees her. Also you have to be prescient, because the attempts from your Commander to escape the wraith matriarchal society match
                                Spoiler:
                                what Todd also does in "The Queen"! Their means differ, but the base goal is the same.

Ooh, I like this idea, especially Elena giving Moira the gift of the worshippers.
                                Thank you once again.

I am gratified that you were able to read the opposing emotions in Elena's heart and mind.

Spoiler:
                                As I was watching Queen last night, the same thought crossed my mind when I saw Todd taking over with a 'token' Queen. Also, I am not sure whether it was one of those subliminal things that entered my mind as I was reading some of the spoilers, but there was also the concept of making alliances between Queens alone.

Anyway, I am getting ready for the next episode(s). They might be the concluding ones. I have some interesting ideas. Or... I hope they're interesting. Just to whet your appetite before the feeding.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X