No announcement yet.

Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, WTF is up with the rough sex? It ruins the suspension of disbelief; it's like if they just were hanging out by the gate and Jack does a line of coke. It's so out of character and doesn't EVER really happen in real life. I went to college and not once did I get to have ANY rough sex, in fact I didn't get ANY sex - but blame that on the IVY's.
    sigpic
    In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
    "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
      Yeah, WTF is up with the rough sex? It ruins the suspension of disbelief; it's like if they just were hanging out by the gate and Jack does a line of coke. It's so out of character and doesn't EVER really happen in real life. I went to college and not once did I get to have ANY rough sex, in fact I didn't get ANY sex - but blame that on the IVY's.
      see, i've been privy to some f'ed up things in my life (Think Tucker Max) so i can sorta believe it if its VERY well done. The problem i have is that it's so out of character and rarely really makes sense.

Example:

Sam: "We have to go back! Daniel! Teal'c!
      Jack: "They'll be fine, they know what to do."
      Sam: "We just left them... I'm going out there!"
      Jack: "Stand down Captain/Major/Colonel/Doctor!"
      Sam: "Are you coming or not?"
      Jack: "Grabs Sam and slams her into teh wall in a kiss, Sam resists at first, but then gives in and they have sex in a dirty musty old shed they're using for protection)

... WTF? I'd like to know if people think this could ACTUALLY happen!

Hey Coela, i'll PM you a little anecdote so you can have a good laugh. I call it "Superbad the Duece"

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101/Loneranger-1 View Post
        Again, like Skydiver says, i think this has to do with it being WIP. just writing down whatever's on your mind is teh easiest way to end up not finishing a story or ending up with shark jumping plotholes.
        [/rant over]
        Hi, I've been lurking round this thread for a little while now enjoying the interesting conversation but just want to put in a couple of thoughts on the WIP thing.

At the risk of making a point that might already have been made before I started lurking, I think much of the trouble stems from the fact that some people do a WIP without actually taking the time to go back and read their previous chapters. So they end up going off on some tangent that while it might be interesting in their minds leaves the reader totally confused.

I usually do WIP but always have my story well planned out before I begin. I find it can be useful, especially if you get a review that suggests something you've overlooked or that might add extra interest to the story.

And I totally agree about there being some terrible stuff out there on FF.net! I know all stories can't please everyone but its very disappointing to see a good idea for a story turned into something that's very poorly thought through and written. That said, there's also some really good, well written stories out there that make it worth the effort of trawling through to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillian52 View Post
          Hi, I've been lurking round this thread for a little while now enjoying the interesting conversation but just want to put in a couple of thoughts on the WIP thing.

At the risk of making a point that might already have been made before I started lurking, I think much of the trouble stems from the fact that some people do a WIP without actually taking the time to go back and read their previous chapters. So they end up going off on some tangent that while it might be interesting in their minds leaves the reader totally confused.

I usually do WIP but always have my story well planned out before I begin. I find it can be useful, especially if you get a review that suggests something you've overlooked or that might add extra interest to the story.

And I totally agree about there being some terrible stuff out there on FF.net! I know all stories can't please everyone but its very disappointing to see a good idea for a story turned into something that's very poorly thought through and written. That said, there's also some really good, well written stories out there that make it worth the effort of trawling through to find.
          A storyboard will solve most of the problems with WIP. At that point it's just sitting down and writing instead of having to think things through.

I agree that Reviews can give you ideas, but they can really be more like guidelines than actual ideas.

Comment

I have read a lot of your posts here and taken in all that's been said. Yes a lot of writers just do something and it is sheer drivel, not even worth looking at in the first place.
            But a lot of others have some merit, and are perhaps worthy of reading just because their basic story shows promise, even if, they are miss-pelt, lack good grammar, or rove from tense to tense.
            I try to look at someones work objectively and rather than flick through and leave, I'll leave a message for good or bad, to encourage them, and offer candid suggestions where they might improve.
            A lot of these writers are actually writing, not for themselves, but to entertain others, so don't just look and leave, let them no how they're doing, tell them where to improve, it doesn't take a minute and say something, other than "Good story"
            Aragon and Skydiver did so for me, so I'm going back to re-edit my entire 3 years of work, because what they said made sense, that's all we ask for, it doesn't have to be praise. It really hurts you inside when you put a lot of effort in to you story, no matter how clumsy it might seem, to see 4 million view's but only 20 or so replies.
            My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
            sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
              I have read a lot of your posts here and taken in all that's been said. Yes a lot of writers just do something and it is sheer drivel, not even worth looking at in the first place.
              But a lot of others have some merit, and are perhaps worthy of reading just because their basic story shows promise, even if, they are miss-pelt, lack good grammar, or rove from tense to tense.
              I try to look at someones work objectively and rather than flick through and leave, I'll leave a message for good or bad, to encourage them, and offer candid suggestions where they might improve.
              A lot of these writers are actually writing, not for themselves, but to entertain others, so don't just look and leave, let them no how they're doing, tell them where to improve, it doesn't take a minute and say something, other than "Good story"
              Aragon and Skydiver did so for me, so I'm going back to re-edit my entire 3 years of work, because what they said made sense, that's all we ask for, it doesn't have to be praise. It really hurts you inside when you put a lot of effort in to you story, no matter how clumsy it might seem, to see 4 million view's but only 20 or so replies.
              I think it boils down to "Why are you writing?"

If it's just for fun or Squee, then that's fine and has it's own niche. Squee doesn't even have to be ship. Squee can be "OMGZ! 2 billion ships and every SG race imaginable all duking it out in space! Stargate? Isn't that a donut or something? *Makes sounds of ships flying and laser batteries firing*"

Personally i write to entertain and to improve my art. I've got original ideas i'd love to publish, but alas, my skill is not that level yet. sooo Fanfiction is a way i can practice, get feedback, improve, all without giving out my ideas to be plagerized.

and hey, i love helping people out but you've got to want to improve too. It's a two way street

Since we're on that topic, i'd like to thank Nika Dixon for her help in getting me to improve. One beta from her was all it took and i learned SOOO much. I would not be where I am today without her.

If you want to read her work, she's on FF.net uner that same alias and mostly writes Ronon/Keller ship. Most of her stuff is hilarious and ALL of it's very well written. i also think she has a few published books under that alias...

Comment

I think it boils down to "Why are you writing?"

If it's just for fun or Squee, then that's fine and has it's own niche. Squee doesn't even have to be ship. Squee can be "OMGZ! 2 billion ships and every SG race imaginable all duking it out in space! Stargate? Isn't that a donut or something? *Makes sounds of ships flying and laser batteries firing*"

Personally i write to entertain and to improve my art. I've got original ideas i'd love to publish, but alas, my skill is not that level yet. sooo Fanfiction is a way i can practice, get feedback, improve, all without giving out my ideas to be plagerized.

and hey, i love helping people out but you've got to want to improve too. It's a two way street

Since we're on that topic, i'd like to thank Nika Dixon for her help in getting me to improve. One beta from her was all it took and i learned SOOO much. I would not be where I am today without her.

If you want to read her work, she's on FF.net uner that same alias and mostly writes Ronon/Keller ship. Most of her stuff is hilarious and ALL of it's very well written. i also think she has a few published books under that alias...
                I don't know what Squee, means? But I write because I want to entertain others with an original idea or story. And of course i would like to improve, that is why I take opinions to heart and try and dismantle those words into a better version of my original story, hoping to make it more worthy of reading for all.
                My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

peopel have different motivations to write

some write a story and what they tell is more important
                  others write and how many reviews they get is more important

do they write to garner praise or do they write to write?

do they write the story their muse feeds them or do they write what others want to read?
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'm against the whole, 'please the fans,' thing. If you are a loyal fan, you should be able to write a good ol' story that, at the very least, has some desent ties to the characters, who you think they are, what you think they'd do in that situation and how they'd feel about it. Not all this rodney suddely becomes the dumbest of them all and runs around naked after a nervous breakdown. (seriously, I've read that...)
                    Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                      I don't know what Squee, means? But I write because I want to entertain others with an original idea or story. And of course i would like to improve, that is why I take opinions to heart and try and dismantle those words into a better version of my original story, hoping to make it more worthy of reading for all.

See, that's you. I've been told by an author that he/she is just writing for fun and doesn't care about grammar,etc.

Well, at least the author was honest. I know never to read what that one writes, I'll be too annoyed to enjoy it.

Honesty, some think con-crit is a flame because it wasn't "Squeeee! Great story!"

There's a site in another fandom that actually won't let authors have posting privileges until they spend some time (very short if they coma aboard with good grammar, etc) under an already approved author. They don't discriminate on shipping of any character either. There's ships that would make my hair straighten ( I have curly hair) and really squick me out. But at least I know they are well-written.

suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.
                      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                        See, that's you. I've been told by an author that he/she is just writing for fun and doesn't care about grammar,etc.

Well, at least the author was honest. I know never to read what that one writes, I'll be too annoyed to enjoy it.

Honesty, some think con-crit is a flame because it wasn't "Squeeee! Great story!"

There's a site in another fandom that actually won't let authors have posting privileges until they spend some time (very short if they coma aboard with good grammar, etc) under an already approved author. They don't discriminate on shipping of any character either. There's ships that would make my hair straighten ( I have curly hair) and really squick me out. But at least I know they are well-written.

suse

2 things, one is a totally random example of how i like to show people that.

There's a kids story called "Sideway stories from wayside school" that is pretty damn weird anyways, there's one specific story where one of the students on the 30th floor (Bebe Gunn) is so happy because she's the BEST artist in the school. She can draw a cat in 5 seconds, a mouse in 3, and her dogs are done in 4 seconds FLAT.

Of course this is until one of the teachers tells her it's not the quantity that counts, it's teh quality. If someone takes 2 hours to draw a cat and it looks a million times better than teh scribble Bebe does, then that person has created more art than her. She cries, she pouts, but then she gets an idea. She leaves teh school to go home and tells the janitor who she's friends with that she's going to draw a picture of a cat. The janitor says "oh i'd like to see that tomorrow when you're finished." and Bebe says "Ha! Tomorrow? I'll probably not even be done one hair by tomorrow!"

Granted this is very exagerated, but teh premise is sound. The better quality something is, the more "art" it is. Not to sound pretentious, but i would rather read well done crack fic than badly written gen.

number 2, what site is that that does that Suse?

Number 3, to PJOZ, Squee is... well Squee is what 14 year old girls do when they see their favorite boy band. Here's a larger explanation http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squee

Comment

Number 3, to PJOZ, Squee is... well Squee is what 14 year old girls do when they see their favorite boy band. Here's a larger explanation http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squee
                          ... and what S/J Shippers will be doing when they get their confirmation about S/J in Movie #3 ...

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            ... and what S/J Shippers will be doing when they get their confirmation about S/J in Movie #3 ...
                            Heresy!

Nah, it's okay. I can see why S/J is so attractive to people. I'd argue but i know it'll achieve nothing.

i'm more expecting a S/J confirmation in Universe than anything else. I highly doubt anymore movies will be made (especially after COTG reedit)

I will say this, S/J imo weakens each character and is too fairy tale for me to stomach. I'm a realist and i can't see either of them waiting god knows how many years now to get together. This is apart from all the other reasons i think they don't work.

I think what attracts people is the fact that RDA and AT have such good chemistry. RDA's a total player while AT is a bouncy blonde. Match made in heaven if you ask me.

BUT RDA is not Jack O'Neill. and AT is NOT Sam Carter. I seperate real life from fiction ^_^

Comment

Nah, it's okay. I can see why S/J is so attractive to people. I'd argue but i know it'll achieve nothing.

<snipped>

And yet you had a try anyway

I'm sure there's a whole gaggle of shippers who'd happily argue every statement you made on the right thread for that discussion.

I think it's fair to say for every possible pairing, for every person who doesn't think it would work between the characters, there's someone who thinks it will; for every person who doesn't see chemistry between the characters, there's someone who does; and for every person who will argue themselves blue in the face that X loves Y not Z, there's someone who will argue themselves blue in the face that X loves Z not Y.

That's the beauty of fanfic, it allows all variations of pairings to be explored.

I've discovered a new pet peeve of my own recently: authors who distort a canon character to simply make their own pairing work. Fine, if someone really wants to write Jack/Daniel, write Jack/Daniel (I've actually read quite a few and enjoyed some) but I don't see why Sam ends up being the Evil Stepsister, preventing Cinderella Daniel from meeting Prince Jack. (Oops - maybe I've given someone a plot bunny )
                              sigpic
                              Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                              My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post

I think it's fair to say for every possible pairing, for every person who doesn't think it would work between the characters, there's someone who thinks it will; for every person who doesn't see chemistry between the characters, there's someone who does; and for every person who will argue themselves blue in the face that X loves Y not Z, there's someone who will argue themselves blue in the face that X loves Z not Y.

That's the beauty of fanfic, it allows all variations of pairings to be explored.

Indeed. I've even heard of Sam/Thor shippers.

I've discovered a new pet peeve of my own recently: authors who distort a canon character to simply make their own pairing work. Fine, if someone really wants to write Jack/Daniel, write Jack/Daniel (I've actually read quite a few and enjoyed some) but I don't see why Sam ends up being the Evil Stepsister, preventing Cinderella Daniel from meeting Prince Jack. (Oops - maybe I've given someone a plot bunny )
                                You've given someone a Crack!Fic plot bunny for sure!

That's not much different from those who demonise (for example) either Pete or Martouf - Kerry or Laira because they just happen to interfere with the Sam/Jack ship.
                                I can actually see where the Jack/Daniel thing comes from actually and, like you, have read and quite enjoyed a couple of slash fics both in this fandom and others (depsite shipping other characters with one of the pair) but it's compeletly posisble to do that without having to recharacterise everyone to make it work. The only isssue I have is that, by the very nature of making obviously and canonicly established heterosexual characters gay, then it automatically makes the whole fic out of character. I can, however, get past almost any major character inconsistency if it is consistent with the plot and it is a very well written story.

Yes but then if you're writing for fun only and "don't care" about that stuff, why then publish it on a website that has and encourages a review system? Why not just leave it on your hard drive or on your own site or somewhere where it's just there and nobody can complain?
                                If you're going to go to the effort to invite others to read and review then I think you ought to consider your audience's needs too.

True enough but then I also think there's a danger that it can become quite elitist when you do stuff like that and it is open to abuse if the system is not rigidly managed. I am sure it is in this case but it's not always.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X