No announcement yet.

Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, yes! Stargate was aired years ago in a regular TV channel, but since then, I can only watch it on cable. That happens with a lot of TV shows - NCIS was in the fifth season or maybe sixth on cable before it got to a regular channel here. Fanfics about Twilight or Harry Potter are way more common in Portuguese than fics about TV shows, specially sci-fi (and geez, some of the HP ones are cringe-worthy).

Comment

Originally posted by brendini View Post
      Part of why I don't do vids is because I've never been sure about using other people's clip (not their vids, just clips they've done the work to clip). I didn't totally feel right doing it, so I always thought that I'd do my own clips, and that just never happened.

I do cut my clips but IMHO it's harmless using clips of the show with zero editing, just a small portion of an episode.
      But I see people stealing other vids and uploading them as theirs or maybe changing only the song. The latter fact is even more stupid because the effect and transitions don't have any sense with a different music.
      sigpic
      My vids Sig made by me

Comment

One of my fics was translated to French. Asked before it was done, and I was sent the translations for review before they were posted. I speak French on the side, so that's always helpful.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I am so dissapointed about this whole plagiarism thing. I thought Sam was quite out of character but was enjoying reading it anyway. It's good that the author is being called upon, but at the same time dissapointed that there is not going to be an end. I usually stay away from wii but as the updates were coming so quickly I gave it a chance anyway. *sigh*

Guess I'm going to read the Dawson Creek thing now to get some closure, even if I didn't watch the show since it annoyed me greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
            Yes, I agree; most people in my country don't even know what fanfic is. But once I explain it most of them understand it and think it's pretty cool.
            I tried to explain to my colleague this a couple of days ago. She was wondering what I was reading on my phone. It's actually quite difficult to explain. But when she got the idea she came up with five different scenario's she'd like to read about her favourite soap opera so she totally got it *lols*

Comment

Originally posted by damnflamingos View Post
              I tried to explain to my colleague this a couple of days ago. She was wondering what I was reading on my phone. It's actually quite difficult to explain. But when she got the idea she came up with five different scenario's she'd like to read about her favourite soap opera so she totally got it *lols*
              Yeah, sometimes I think they get it and then they'll ask something like "so why are you going to write another one?". As if I only have one idea? Hello, the show has ten years, two movies and even two spin-offs (although I don't write about Atlantis except for season 4 and SGU is only referred to in future fics when necessary) so there's going to be plenty of ideas for things that could/should have happened!

Sometimes I also think my answer makes complete sense and then they'll say something that has me going "huh?". Such reactions, however, often come from people who don't watch a lot of television shows or aren't "loyal" viewers, at least.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes I think they get it and then they'll ask something like "so why are you going to write another one?". As if I only have one idea?
                Yeah, there are endless idea's, a lot of them are hopelessly cheesy, but fun none the less. I don't write but I'm really tempted because I have tons of ideas. There was a thread on lj for another fandom about dreaming about your fandom. I have fanfic in a dream all the time! If only I could put it in words *lols*

Comment

Yeah, sometimes I think they get it and then they'll ask something like "so why are you going to write another one?". As if I only have one idea? Hello, the show has ten years, two movies and even two spin-offs (although I don't write about Atlantis except for season 4 and SGU is only referred to in future fics when necessary) so there's going to be plenty of ideas for things that could/should have happened!
                  One of the many things I like about fanfic is that you authors can let things happen to our favorite characters, that the writers of the tv show never would be able to due to rating restrictions

Comment

Rating restrictions have little to do with it, I would reckon.

Thank goddess for fanfic... otherwise there would be no femslash.

Anyhow, some ideas are just too far out, or too cracky... although Wormhole X-Treme anyone... to actually do in reality.

Comment

Time to move on guys. He did it, he fessed up, time will tell if he's learned his lesson or not. This thread isn't going to be a bash fest or witch hunt.

so....new topics please.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I missed all the fun. No idea about who or what fic it's about. Damn you, holiday, for keeping me out of a juicy loop.
                        you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Rating restrictions have little to do with it, I would reckon.

Thank goddess for fanfic... otherwise there would be no femslash.

Anyhow, some ideas are just too far out, or too cracky... although Wormhole X-Treme anyone... to actually do in reality.
                          American rating restrictions have a lot do with it, in my opinion. There can hardly be any (suggestion of) sex, nudity, torture, violence in certain shows because of the rating they have. They tend to show a lot more on European shows/movies. Plus, there is of course the limitations of what actors/human bodies can go through (convincingly) on television, which is much easier to write about. Not just for torture but CGI effects etc, too.
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Odd to know then maybe for you is that The White Queen, a British show, simultaneously shown in both the UK and the US, shows more nudity on Starz (US) than it does on the BBC (UK).

So, I would say it really depends on channels.

But okay... some of the whump inflicted on the characters in fic could be problematic showing on screen.
                            Last edited by Falcon Horus; 03 July 2013, 07:59 AM. Reason: Starz, not Space... my mistake...

Comment

I thought Space was Canadian?
                              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

I thought Space was Canadian?
                                It should be Starz, not Space... fixed the mistake.

Comment

Working...
                                X