Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an interesting thread to be on.
    sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Here:

http://www.oocities.org/rinnypj/game/game.html
      sigpic
      My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
        Thanks, Chemmy.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          Can anyone give me the link to the original fic/author? I've removed LCJS's fic from the AU fic list because it was plagiarized and would like to mention the actual author/fic so that people who want to know how it was supposed to end can still read it.
          Thank you! By the time everything wound down last night I was just too beat to pursue anything further.

And thank you - same excuse from above applies - I love it how everyone works together here!
          Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
            Thank you! By the time everything wound down last night I was just too beat to pursue anything further.

And thank you - same excuse from above applies - I love it how everyone works together here!
            No, we should all be thanking you for catching the plagiarizing in the first place! SJ_green.gif
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

No, we should all be thanking you for catching the plagiarizing in the first place! [ATTACH=CONFIG]38106[/ATTACH]
              I'd like to say it's my pleasure but it was anything but that. I didn't like it at all. But I'm glad it was caught and that this particular kerfuffle is over. Well, for the most part. I've still got a bunch to deal with regarding the Stop Plagiarism case considering the other fics. ::sigh:: But it'll all get done!

Comment

Yep, thanks Amara!
                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

I'd like to say it's my pleasure but it was anything but that. I didn't like it at all. But I'm glad it was caught and that this particular kerfuffle is over. Well, for the most part. I've still got a bunch to deal with regarding the Stop Plagiarism case considering the other fics. ::sigh:: But it'll all get done!
                  Are you a member or just a contributor?
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                  Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                    Are you a member or just a contributor?
                    I'm a member of the comm but I'm not a moderator.

Comment

Why didn’t I know about this thread? *pouts*
                      I was reading that fic! I read the final chapters of the original fic cuz I wanted to know the ending!

Plagiarism happened even with part of my vids or my friends ones! The thief sometimes didn't even bother to delete my watermark!
                      Part of why I don't do vids is because I've never been sure about using other people's clip (not their vids, just clips they've done the work to clip). I didn't totally feel right doing it, so I always thought that I'd do my own clips, and that just never happened.
                      Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                      I'm with you, Amber. I would feel very uncomfortable accepting praise for work I didn't do. Heck, I pass it off if I even share the work with someone else!

Good to see you again, brendini!

The updates thing is not an issue--some folks write the whole story first, then post, so they have the chapters ready to hand. (It's on another page or five or ten on this thread--some people peeve that folks don't finish before posting. )

I'm with you on the reading. I have told folks before that I won't read their (insert name) fics until I'm done with mine, because I don't want to subconsciously steal their ideas.

There was a lady on a FB group for writers who was offering to make book covers for a smaller charge. The folks on that thread are pretty savvy and asked, to be safe, if she owned the copyright to the pics. She said that she had gotten them off Google images. When we pointed out that those were not royalty-free necessarily, and that she could get sued for using them, particularly making money from their use, she got all bent out of shape and removed herself from the thread, yelling and screaming (in typing, you know what I mean) the whole way. Claimed we didn't appreciate her work. While her work was good, no--no, we did not appreciate her setting us up for lawsuits. Some of us even sent her links to websites where she could use/purchase rights, but she insisted that we were "ungrateful".

Unfortunately, the web is a slice of reality--there are good people and bad, there are smart people and stupid, there are honest people and dishonest, there are mature people and immature (whether they're adult or not).

But you and Sky are right--we do have a society of entitlement these days, where folks (in general) think that you should hand them the world. Oh, and don't skimp on the silver platter and the fence around it, too. My kids are victims of this, too, despite what their father and I have tried to teach them. They're not as bad as some, but they are growing up in it, so some of it does rub off; every so often, I have to jerk on their choke collars and pull them back to reality with a shaken finger and a stern, "no!"

I'm hoping to get in one of those writing zones later today. Woke up with a migraine that's working its way out. Am already behind on Camp NaNo, since I had my usual (read: "insanely busy") Monday and got nothing written for it yesterday.
                      When I worked in the photo lab at Walmart, we used to run into the copyright issue all the time. People didn't understand that just because you have the pictures that a pro took, doesn't mean you have the right to copy them. We weren't allowed to make copies unless they had a signed consent form. I can't tell you how many people got ticked off at that!

I can't believe someone would get pissy (no other word I can think of that fits lol) because you didn't appreciate her using copyrighted photos to make something for you, when you'd be the one getting in trouble for it! Grrr!

Hope your Tuesday goes better

Comment

When I started reading fanfic, I started with anime, Lois & Clark and X-files. And I started reading in Portuguese, which is my native language. (Eventually I moved on to English because there were more stories and better stories - in Portuguese, I felt that only 13-year-olds with bad grammar were writing). Plagiarism is very common in translated fics. I often read fics in which the original author was given credit (and people asked their permission to post a translated version). But there were fics that I read in Portuguese, and then discovered an original version in English years later. Sad, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashi View Post
                          When I started reading fanfic, I started with anime, Lois & Clark and X-files. And I started reading in Portuguese, which is my native language. (Eventually I moved on to English because there were more stories and better stories - in Portuguese, I felt that only 13-year-olds with bad grammar were writing). Plagiarism is very common in translated fics. I often read fics in which the original author was given credit (and people asked their permission to post a translated version). But there were fics that I read in Portuguese, and then discovered an original version in English years later. Sad, really.
                          Sometimes I feel the same way when I'm reading English fics!

But yeah, I've heard of some authors being contacted by others requesting they're allowed to translate the fic into a different language (often French, for some reason). I don't understand why anyone would want to do that; the original author will only be given credit but unless they speak the language they have no idea what reviewers say and whether the story was translated properly and the translator can't really respond to reviewers either since it's not really their story! The only advantage might be that you can reach more people but I don't think that's worth the risk.
                          On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Sometimes I feel the same way when I'm reading English fics!

But yeah, I've heard of some authors being contacted by others requesting they're allowed to translate the fic into a different language (often French, for some reason). I don't understand why anyone would want to do that; the original author will only be given credit but unless they speak the language they have no idea what reviewers say and whether the story was translated properly and the translator can't really respond to reviewers either since it's not really their story! The only advantage might be that you can reach more people but I don't think that's worth the risk.
                            I've read very well-written translations and some so-so. I think it's nice to be able to read a fic that you otherwise wouldn't have access to, because it was written in a different language. But yes, there are some risks.

As for the 13-year-olds, believe me, in English things are way better. The size of the community is much bigger, which means that there will be a lot of bad fics, but a lot of good ones, too. Fanfic writing is something more common in English-speaking countries than it is in Brazil.

Comment

Peeve of the day: Plagiarism. Plain and simple.
                              I'm so sorry you've had to deal with that. It's inexcusable.

A classic Jack/Daniel vidder had one of her best and most well known vids stolen and posted in its entirety under another name. I mean really, if you're going to steal someone's work (and that's what it is, theft) choosing one of that fandom's most widely known and feted examples is a truly dumb thing to do. Actually, it says a lot about the mentality involved full stop.

More insidious than that, where fics are concerned, is when the names are changed in a bid to hide the plagiarism. I don't know how anyone believes they'll get away it with it these days. A lot of people are multi-fannish and read widely, and someone always knows someone etc etc. It's a smaller world than you might think.

Anyone who has created a vid, artwork or written a fic, who has sweated and angsted and tried hard to make it the best it can be has a right to feel personally aggrieved at plagiarism. I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashi View Post
                                I've read very well-written translations and some so-so. I think it's nice to be able to read a fic that you otherwise wouldn't have access to, because it was written in a different language. But yes, there are some risks.

As for the 13-year-olds, believe me, in English things are way better. The size of the community is much bigger, which means that there will be a lot of bad fics, but a lot of good ones, too. Fanfic writing is something more common in English-speaking countries than it is in Brazil.
                                Yes, I agree; most people in my country don't even know what fanfic is. But once I explain it most of them understand it and think it's pretty cool. I also think the language of the source material (either Stargate or some other show/book) is important: there'll be a bigger English-speaking community if the material is in English too. For shows that's especially influential, since they will be dubbed by other actors in different countries or subtitles will be used. Books are easier as they can be translated into a different language without it looking weird (for the most part, sometimes I just roll my eyes at some descriptions of evil villains or something which sound more impressive when translated into English) and the looks of the actors not matching the (dubbed) voice. In my country we simply use subtitles, something for which I'm grateful, and therefore I'm not at all surprised there are no Stargate fics in my native language.
                                On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X