No announcement yet.

Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have only read one MPreg story, and it was severely tongue-in-cheek, since it had all of the guys (Jack, Daniel and Teal'c) being pregnant. It was okay for humor, but I wouldn't want to read any others of the same.

Comment

I think I do understand the appeal of MPreg a bit - it's about seeing a man so completely out of his comfort zone that you just know it has to bring about some colossal changes for his character. The trick is to keep the man in question in character and show the inevitable character growth in him in a believable way. It's kind of similar to the genderswap trope in that it really, really challenges the man to look at the world from the perspective he'd never considered before. But it really has to be written well for this premise to work.

Comment

Usual fic etiquette is that you warn for the biggies

mPreg
        Incest
        Rape/non-con
        Character Death

at the very least. Because these are usually massive squicks for people.

Then if you're writing adult fic you warn for kinks or abuse or give people a heads up on things beyond your basic 'boy/girl sex' fic....such as denoting pairings or if it's a multiple pairing thing etc.

If it's a whump fic then it's often expected if your fic is graphic in its whumpage or extended detailed torture.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Mpreg for humor is one thing--Trip Tucker getting "knocked up" by that alien was humorous. Other than that, I'm not all that interested.
          sigpic
          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

^ Oh god yeah, I'd totally forgotten about that.
            sigpic
            McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
            Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
            ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
              Mpreg for humor is one thing--Trip Tucker getting "knocked up" by that alien was humorous. Other than that, I'm not all that interested.
              Lol, I just watched that episode last week. Every now and again I just have to re-watch my Star Treks.

And while MPreg usually makes me back-button like a beast, that episode didn't bother me at all. Odd...
              Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by amaradangeli View Post
                Lol, I just watched that episode last week. Every now and again I just have to re-watch my Star Treks.

And while MPreg usually makes me back-button like a beast, that episode didn't bother me at all. Odd...
                ^ Actually it didn't weird me out either, I can't remember if he actually gave birth to that baby or not, it's been awhile since I've watched it, so I might have to have a re-watch at some point.
                sigpic
                ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki Alexander View Post
                  ^ Actually it didn't weird me out either, I can't remember if he actually gave birth to that baby or not, it's been awhile since I've watched it, so I might have to have a re-watch at some point.
                  Just in case you want to know without rewatching...

Spoiler:
                  The embryo was able to be transferred to another host so he didn't carry it to term or birth it.
                  Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Huge peeve that I'm sure has been mentioned before (because it's the most ridiculous thing ever): Singing. Of any kind. Especially, but not limited to, karaoke.

No character in any of the fandoms featured here (or anywhere else that I frequent, but alas) would ever -- EVER! -- express his or her feelings through song. Especially not in public. Double especially not to the likes of Celine Dion or some such.

No.

No, not even drunk.

No, not even really hammered.

They just wouldn't, so stop projecting.

More importantly, warn for the bloody song!fic.
                    you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

I'm not a fan of song fic, either.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

oh yeah, song fic.....cringe worthy.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I don't mind using a line from a song or quote at the beginning of the chapter or for the title of that chapter, but I don't like song fics either.
                          sigpic
                          ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki Alexander View Post
                            I don't mind using a line from a song or quote at the beginning of the chapter or for the title of that chapter, but I don't like song fics either.
                            I don't even like that. I'm reading a Christine Feehan book right now, and I usually like her stuff, but the last couple have been so...predictable. And this one has a bit of a song that the hero and heroine sing to each other (supposedly--they haven't even met yet in the book). I'm sorry, but I'm not even a big fan of musicals that much anymore, not even really crazy about Phantom, although I will "suffer through" the Gerard Butler one just to hear his voice. That man could read the telephone book or sing disco and I'd just sit and listen.
                            sigpic

Comment

One of my fanfic pet peeves: Troll reviews that insult both the writer and the readers.
                              sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Gee, Sparky, I'm so surprised you find that annoying.

Seaboe
                                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Working...
                                X