Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is 2 of them, thank you both Hedwig and Smargs.

How on earth do you keep track of them all, I know I can't I tend to remember the stories but never the names or authors, which is shame because so many of the authors are great writers and they certainly deserve the credit.

so again thank you

Comment

Personally, I keep a spreadsheet. However, I've only cataloged 444 fics, so I'm only so much help...
      Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by etag rats View Post
        That is 2 of them, thank you both Hedwig and Smargs.

How on earth do you keep track of them all, I know I can't I tend to remember the stories but never the names or authors, which is shame because so many of the authors are great writers and they certainly deserve the credit.

so again thank you
        I'm as surprised as anyone else that I remember as many of these stories as I do. I remember reading "Starting Over" and absolutely hating Jack in it for the way he treated Sam (even though the author gave him a bunch of excuses - none good enough in my opinion). And then I vaguely recalled part of the author's name, so I did a search on ff.net and found her whole name, and there was the story.

Comment

I'm like Amara, I keep a spreadsheet. However, the descriptions tend to be brief one-liners that mean something to me. Which means a searcher would need to remember the right information to trigger my ability to identify the story.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Yes. I use brief descriptions of the plot but mostly keywords or odd things that stood out detail-wise for me (as it's the strange little details that tend to stick with me for a long time so I imagine they would for others, too).

Comment

Hedwig, I too wasn't crazy about the way Jack treated Sam, but at the same time it was something different so it made it interesting for me. I am a bit of a shipper, so sometimes it the same old thing, so it is kind of nice to see something different, although there is nothing wrong with a good old ship

And there may be a spreadsheet in my future lol, it might make it easier for me. I have read a lot of sg1 stories and re read them a year or two later so it would definitely help

Comment

I download fanfic. The fields I track are author, story title, document title, section (each story has a separate section in the document), first page, last page, total number of pages, and comment. Comments will be things like "Jack as sniper."

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I download lots of fics. I have a rather vast file full of them on my computer (backed up to a flash drive). I have them broken down by author, and by some subjects. There's also a fairly large "general" section that I haven't figured out where to put them.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    I download lots of fics. I have a rather vast file full of them on my computer (backed up to a flash drive). I have them broken down by author, and by some subjects. There's also a fairly large "general" section that I haven't figured out where to put them.
                    I've downloaded several people's files of fics (and left their organization schemes in tact). It's time for me to make a version of my own.

Comment

I despise spreadsheets. This is why I haven't set one up for fics yet I have been saving them all in the same place and I do backup everything now not only online but on an external drive...learned my lesson with losing my hard drive last year. I let Amazon store a good bit of them because I use the fanfiction downloader and have them sent straight to my Kindle, then they are kept in my Amazon cloud drive.

So, I'm still looking for the fic/novel with the scene where Sam has to rescue Jack because he's tied to some kind of pole and the room he's in is filling up with water...still no bells for anyone??
                      sigpic

----------
                      FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Originally posted by IamDKScully View Post

So, I'm still looking for the fic/novel with the scene where Sam has to rescue Jack because he's tied to some kind of pole and the room he's in is filling up with water...still no bells for anyone??
                        I'd like to read that one, too.

Comment

Rings huge bells and I know I've reread it not too long ago. I was on vacation when you first posted it so let me try now that I am home to see if I can find it.

Edit-Found The Fountain one I thought it was but it was Sam tied up and Jack saving her.

I do recognize the scene you are describing and I believe it is a team action/adventure fic and this scene is at the end of the story. Sam is trying to get Jack untied while Daniel and Teal are working on the situation from another room or level of the room. Jaffa are surrounding them but that is all I can remember atm. Does this sound right? I'll look more tomorrow but /me has to work tomorrow so off I go.
                          Last edited by JanSam; 12 June 2014, 09:01 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                            I do recognize the scene you are describing and I believe it is a team action/adventure fic and this scene is at the end of the story.
                            Your description is more familiar to me, but I don't remember the water; Jack stuck in a pit and tied up, yes. All of them in a cell with Jack unable to reach water (and no one close enough to bring it to him), yes. Rising water? No.

Seaboe

Comment

Wow, I just had a flash of what could be this fic... I read it, wow, a couple of years ago I think. I know it's not on my spreadsheet, though.

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                                Rings huge bells and I know I've reread it not too long ago. I was on vacation when you first posted it so let me try now that I am home to see if I can find it.

Edit-Found The Fountain one I thought it was but it was Sam tied up and Jack saving her.

I do recognize the scene you are describing and I believe it is a team action/adventure fic and this scene is at the end of the story. Sam is trying to get Jack untied while Daniel and Teal are working on the situation from another room or level of the room. Jaffa are surrounding them but that is all I can remember atm. Does this sound right? I'll look more tomorrow but /me has to work tomorrow so off I go.
                                Link? Or title and author?

Comment

Working...
                                X