This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    I have a story saved by JenCamp called "Not You Again". I can email it to you if you want to PM me your email address.
    Hello Hedwig! Not sure if you still go on this website but I'm hoping you can help me too.... would you happen to have a story saved called "Above and Beyond by JenCamp"?? Thanks :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie628 View Post
      Hello Hedwig! Not sure if you still go on this website but I'm hoping you can help me too.... would you happen to have a story saved called "Above and Beyond by JenCamp"?? Thanks :-)
      I've got a copy of it that I'd be happy to send you, but because of your probie status I can't IM you for your email address. If you'd like a copy of the fic but would prefer not to post your email on this site, you can email me direct through my website.
      Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

I am looking for a fic I read maybe 4 years ago? It has SG-1, Martouf/Lantash, and Jacob/Selmak going on a mission together. The locals have some rule against women being unmarried when they are above 25, so Sam has to pick someone to marry now or they will force her to marry the son of the local leader. Jack and Martouf/Lantash offer to marry her, and are sort-of fighting for her hand. Eventually she realizes she want them both/all, and she ends up married to Jack AND Martouf/Lantash. I think the fic is NC-17 and has a rather steamy threesome/foursome wedding night scene.
        I think they also discuss how to be together after going back home, and both Sam and Jack are seriously considering joining the Tok'ra so they can all be together.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?
        Originally posted by Skadi View Post
        I think I have read it. Did they have a lot of tests that Jack and Martouf/Lantash had to go through to prove they were worthy of marrying Sam? And the son of the local leader kept making advances to Sam?

I think it was called something like Allies and Enemies? Or maybe Enemies, allies. Hm. I think it was on a geocities page, unfortunately. So unless someone has saved it, I don't know how to find it. Particularly since I don't know the writer.
        Yes, that is the one! It was on geocities? Damn! Does anyone have a copy of it?
        My ships: sigpic
        (Sam/Jack, Sam/Rodney, Sam/Martouf/Lantash, Sam/Cam, Sam/Daniel, Sam/Janet)

Sam/Jack, Sam/Cam, Sam/Daniel, Sam/Janet, and Sam/Rodney smilies made by the talented zuz - THANKS. Smilies merged into one sig by the awesome Nolamom - THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by SamShipper View Post
          Yes, that is the one! It was on geocities? Damn! Does anyone have a copy of it?
          Copies, or if anyone has the old link you may be able to resurrect it through the Internet Archive/Wayback Machine.
          sigpic
          My stories at fanfiction.net or archiveofourown.org.

Comment

I think you're going to have to come up with an author and title to find it.

Seaboe
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
              I've got a copy of it that I'd be happy to send you, but because of your probie status I can't IM you for your email address. If you'd like a copy of the fic but would prefer not to post your email on this site, you can email me direct through my website.
              Awesome!! Thankyou!!

I have messaged you at your website :-)

Nat

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie628 View Post
                Awesome!! Thankyou!!

I have messaged you at your website :-)

Nat
                And I've sent you the fic.

Comment

Need your help.

After re-re-re-re (you get the idea) reading Taken by Laura Y http://sg1-heliopolis.com/adult/viewstory.php?uid=712, I wanted to re-read another major Sam whumping story where she is beaten and dumped on Jack's lawn late at night. That's all I really remember about the story. I thought it might be on the Ultimate Sam Whumping list but nothing really looked familiar. It may very well be on the site but I thought picking the brains of everyone might be easier. You guys usually come through.

So...any thoughts?

*Edited to put in the right link to "Taken".http://sg1-heliopolis.com/adult/viewuser.php?uid=712
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 14 March 2013, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Um...is Taken an adult story? I thought we weren't supposed to link to those.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                      Um...is Taken an adult story? I thought we weren't supposed to link to those.

Seaboe
                      Yes, it is. But the link that works (the second one in the "edit") goes to the author's page. The first link doesn't seem to work (on my computer) but it probably ought to be removed by the OP just in case it one day does work.

Comment

I only noticed the first link, and the words "adult" and "viewstory" leapt out at me. I should've read further.

Seaboe

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
                          So guys... what do you think are the 'must-reads' in the Stargate fandom? Fics that are so good that you would recommend them to anyone without second thought? Fics that make you proud of being in this fandom? (Gen or any ship/slash, doesn't matter.) Is there any fic that is famous for its quality?

I'm trying to sell my friend on Stargate fanfiction,but she believes that this show can't have possibly inspired people to produce anything of true value. Which is why I'm asking you to help me with awesome fic recs.
                          Well, if you're trying to prove Stargate is more than fun and fluffy, you should point her to some of the more serious, dark, adult stories (I don't mean adult in terms of sex). When people have asked me for recs before, I've given them this list (which of course reflects my tastes, YMMV):

Anything by Annerb is worth checking out. I really liked Gravity Always Wins in the End.

Strix Varia's work is excellent. She also maintains the "Ultimate Sam-Whumping List" and I've been through the whole thing - most of them are excellent stories (though there are a decent number of duds) above and beyond the h/c that runs rampant. I suggest you start at the bottom of the page. Her site: http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/index.html

Banshee by SGCbearcub - great, strong Carter fic, that ends on a S/J note if I recall. It's on ff.net.

The Blue Jello Metaphor - Great little fic on ff.net!

1991 by Starbuck92 - it's Carter pre-SGC about the Gulf War. I don't generally read non-Stargate placed stories but this one is pretty darn good. It's on the Stargate Novel Archive (http://sgnovels.shahrazad.net/archive1/titleab.html)

jadedfirefly writes good fics. I've only read her two long stories (Ninth Chevron and Do Not Go Gentle - actually, I beta'd them too) but her shorter works are just as good, I'm sure. She writes S/J to varying degrees. Here: http://www.fanfiction.net/~jadedfirefly

The Road from Nadir by Rebecca Preen - if you don't mind fics that deal with sexual assault this one handles the subject matter better than most I've seen. Too often fics that wade into this territory either gloss over the aftermath or use it as a way to get Sam and Jack together. This one is about the "after" more than the event.

The Hidden One by Gracie - this is a fic I've seen several people mention off and on. I read it. I thought it was good but not as fantastic as most people. Novel Archive.

My Andromeda by Mabyn and its unfinished sequel My Perseus - awesome, amazing story worth reading even though the second story has been languishing for awhile and I doubt will ever be finished. There is an S/J established relationship. On ff.net.

There was a Sam Carter ficathon a few years back that yielded nothing but awesomeness. Here. I'm sure other character ficathons produced good work too.

The Stargate Fic Rec LJ community is a good place to send people; the fics are all neatly tagged. Here.

The SG Fic Awards is also a decent place to find well-regarded fics. You'll run up against missing fics and broken links a lot, though.

Scarimor's work definitely falls in the dark, adult, mature - in NO way fun and fluffy - category. See Barbarian, a fic that fills in SG-1's time in ancient Egypt. Her LJ is here.

So, there's a place to start. It's really hard to respond to such a general request. I would say there's no single, defining SG fic, simply because tastes and... "camps"... within fandom are so distinct and divided. Everyone's idea of "the best fic ever" is unique to themselves.

Regards,

sbz

Comment

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good John/Sam or Evan/Sam fics, I've found a couple but would love to read more.
                            sigpic
                            McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
                            Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
                            ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sbz View Post
                              Well, if you're trying to prove Stargate is more than fun and fluffy, you should point her to some of the more serious, dark, adult stories (I don't mean adult in terms of sex). When people have asked me for recs before, I've given them this list (which of course reflects my tastes, YMMV):

Anything by Annerb is worth checking out. I really liked Gravity Always Wins in the End.

Strix Varia's work is excellent. She also maintains the "Ultimate Sam-Whumping List" and I've been through the whole thing - most of them are excellent stories (though there are a decent number of duds) above and beyond the h/c that runs rampant. I suggest you start at the bottom of the page. Her site: http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/index.html

Banshee by SGCbearcub - great, strong Carter fic, that ends on a S/J note if I recall. It's on ff.net.

The Blue Jello Metaphor - Great little fic on ff.net!

1991 by Starbuck92 - it's Carter pre-SGC about the Gulf War. I don't generally read non-Stargate placed stories but this one is pretty darn good. It's on the Stargate Novel Archive (http://sgnovels.shahrazad.net/archive1/titleab.html)

jadedfirefly writes good fics. I've only read her two long stories (Ninth Chevron and Do Not Go Gentle - actually, I beta'd them too) but her shorter works are just as good, I'm sure. She writes S/J to varying degrees. Here: http://www.fanfiction.net/~jadedfirefly

The Road from Nadir by Rebecca Preen - if you don't mind fics that deal with sexual assault this one handles the subject matter better than most I've seen. Too often fics that wade into this territory either gloss over the aftermath or use it as a way to get Sam and Jack together. This one is about the "after" more than the event.

The Hidden One by Gracie - this is a fic I've seen several people mention off and on. I read it. I thought it was good but not as fantastic as most people. Novel Archive.

My Andromeda by Mabyn and its unfinished sequel My Perseus - awesome, amazing story worth reading even though the second story has been languishing for awhile and I doubt will ever be finished. There is an S/J established relationship. On ff.net.

There was a Sam Carter ficathon a few years back that yielded nothing but awesomeness. Here. I'm sure other character ficathons produced good work too.

The Stargate Fic Rec LJ community is a good place to send people; the fics are all neatly tagged. Here.

The SG Fic Awards is also a decent place to find well-regarded fics. You'll run up against missing fics and broken links a lot, though.

Scarimor's work definitely falls in the dark, adult, mature - in NO way fun and fluffy - category. See Barbarian, a fic that fills in SG-1's time in ancient Egypt. Her LJ is here.

So, there's a place to start. It's really hard to respond to such a general request. I would say there's no single, defining SG fic, simply because tastes and... "camps"... within fandom are so distinct and divided. Everyone's idea of "the best fic ever" is unique to themselves.

Regards,

sbz
                              Wow, sbz, thank you so much! I haven't read a lot of this fic myself (although I know Annerb is pretty damn good). I'd never even heard of the Sam Whumping list! The only fics from this list I've actually read are Annerb's Gravity and The Blue Jello Metaphor. So many new authors! *is excited*

I understand that my request was... vague, but that's pretty much what I wanted - to see what people thought was the best that the Stargate fandom had to offer, different tastes and all. Given that my friend has no shipping preferences, and likes all the characters equally, I thought seeing various points of view would help me figure out what fic to recommend. Thank you so much for such an extensive response! I look forward to reading all this fic myself!
                              Last edited by Raelis; 17 March 2013, 10:31 AM.

Comment

That goes for me too, sbz, I'm going to have a great time checking out all these links.

Thanks!

Cate
                                sigpic

...with thanks to the wonderful Bay...

Comment

Working...
                                X