Here is a Sam in Atlantis coping with leadership fic

Title: Letter Writing
      Author: rolleson
      Fandom: SGA
      Rating: G
      Character/Pairing: Sam!fic
      Spoilers: Doppelganger
      Warnings: None
      Summery: Colonel Carter writing her first "letter to the family" at Atlantis Expedition Leader, after Kate Heightmeier's death.

http://rolleson.livejournal.com/589727.html#cutid1

Comment

I had been searching for a fic for ages and with a whole bundle of help from Melora, this is the fic that has been keeping me awake in my search...thank you Melora for finding it for me!!!!

Against the Wall: by Coz
        http://www.samandjack.net/stories/sj...stthewall.html
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

here's a little sam fic, with shades of sam/jack

http://syxp.livejournal.com/33831.html

post gemini, so spoilers for that
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

here's a heavy angst fic, sam/jack in a moderately substantial manner

http://annerbhp.livejournal.com/79588.html

an au bit for Descent

sigpic

Comment

I found this kind of cute one:
              http://holdouttrout.livejournal.com/...28478#t1328478

Comment

that's a good fic. poor sam, she just can't win

sigpic

Comment

Goddesses by Rachel500

Comment

there are times when i can deal with OOC fic. for example, sbz's fic could be seen as out of character

Spoiler:
                    because sam is shipped with ba'al, she's more hard ass than we've ever seen her, she and tealc are closer than we've ever seen them....

but they're all explained and rationalized. In that way, i can easily see sbz's sam as a real sam.

but writing characters OOC to facilitate a plot is a long standing writer issue. There was more than one slash fic wehre jack was a brute and mean and cruel and thoughtless...because it let to selfless little daniel getting owied, then sam and teal'c taking jack to task for being so mean, which prompted jack to apologize, daniel to forgive him and they realize their undying love.

the thing is, switch the names, and there's ship fic like that. where thoughtless jack gets sam hurt so daniel and teal'c can push him into acknowledging his love for her that he's been denying so long.

whatever works, and there are plenty of readers for stories liek that because....well, at the end of the day, we ALL see the characters how we need/want to see them. thus 'in character' becomes a relative thing.

there are jack fans out there that see him as the super soldier and impervious to pain and the OTT hero, while there are daniel fans that see him as the most understanding character in the world because he has to whip these thoughtless warriors into shape.

and for every sam fan that sees her as strong and kick butt, there's a sam fan that sees her in a romantic setting and writes her that way.

about the only character that doesn't suffer much from OTT characterization is Teal'c...and i think that's because there's less than half a dozen people that even write him, so less room for 'error'

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig
                      I understand what you've pointed out above. However, in the stories I described, there was nothing about the "rapes" that furthered the story. It may have made them a bit more intense, but the story was just as intense without that added to it. And Jack may have felt some remorse for his actions, but very little and he didn't actually apologize to Sam for his behavior. He took advantage of her vulnerability and used it for his own selfish reasons. To me, this is "out of character" fiction. True, the stories showed a side of both characters not shown on the series, but even so, I can do without Sam or anyone else being raped. As well written as some of those stories may be, I avoid them whenever I can. And if an author is offended by my attitude, I apologize. However, I'm sure there are plenty of other readers that share my attitude. Plus, there are so many other fanfiction stories out there that are right up my alley (so to speak) that I could spend the next several years reading them and never get to any of the kind I dislike.
                      Yea, such is the problem with fanfiction. It can take a lot of wading through before you find a fic that you like; I usually then read stories from that author, before finding others. I find that if I recognize the author's name as a fic I didn't like, I will skip their next story.
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

i understand where you're comeing from, and that's why authors should label fic that has major squicks like that

bad language
                        OTT violence/torture
                        character death
                        non-con sex
                        graphic sex
                        kinky sex

should all be warned for when people t ype up the header of their fic, and should be used when folks rec stuff here, just as a courtesy for the fact that people dont' like some of this 'hot button issue' content

sigpic

Comment

here's some big honkin angst
                          http://sharim.livejournal.com/412398.html

and AU character death with a touch of sam and jack

sigpic

Comment

I've only found a few times (like 2) a fic was different from what I expected. And those times involved character death (cause, really, I can't deal with that, so if they die for real, I don't read it).
                            sigpic

Comment

there was one, many years ago, and it was a daniel fic, and daniel died and stayed dead...and the author didn't warn for death.

i n ever read anything of hers again

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the fic recs everyone!

I forgot about this thread - what a fun surprise!

I thought this one was very nice:

Mail Call

http://www.jackfic.net/emeraldcity/a...s/mailcall.htm

Category- Thoughts/POV fic
                                Season- Atlantis season 4 speculation
                                Spoilers - Just the fact that Sam will be there, the rest is speculation.
                                Content Level - OLDER KIDS
                                Content Warning- Nothing really
                                Summary- Sam thinks about her new job…and gets a little surprise in the mail.
                                Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                                Quint Studer

Comment

Working...
                                X