Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dark lord me View Post
    WALLTER
    NOT WALTER...you must bring him back oh he Mitchel calls for a med team and the use the Tel'chak device to restore him
    You want a zombie Walter?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
      You want a zombie Walter?
      Chevron 4...BRAAAIIINNSSS
      Kidding aside, whoa, what an episode. Marvelous and eventful, just like a season ender should be. And I can't blame Walter for what he has done. It's a common theme in many series that once in a while, you've got to team up with someone that has not exactly been your ally during the rest of the series.

My personal feelings on this are pretty mixed, I really dislike the Trust (not as a story element, just as an organisation that can't appear to be weeded out). But in this specific case, I'm with the Trust. If I were in the UN meeting, and someone was telling me about the virus, I would be cheering like a madman. While simultaneously hoping that they have the good sense to drop it on as many places at the same time as possible (the Der'kal aren't stupid, they'll find something to stop it). I also wouldn't be too displeased at the comment of becoming a more dominant player in the galaxy. It's pretty clear that our expansion in the galaxy is pretty inevitable, we as a species have expanded everywhere we could for as long as we exist (check on where the human population is on the globe, as compared to our birth in Africa). It just makes sense that we go settling new, preferably uninhabited worlds, and don't fool yourselves, the galaxy is HUGE, mind bogglingly so.

In doing this, and with our rapid advancements (the Nox seem to be at quite the standstill, the Jaffa have little scientific base and are quite a bit younger in this regard, also the fact that they are a warrior culture), it would be normal that people would turn to us for guidance and protection.

Think of it as what is happening with the European Union now, the promise of economic, cultural and defensive advancement seems to be irresistible for some. Even countries that are technically outside of Europe have been continuously applying (Morroco, of the top of my head). I'm guessing the same would happen with neighbouring worlds, until a large part of the galaxy is part of the Earth Federation/Terran Empire/Whatever you want to call it. At least the human population except for the Asschen will be .

On a final note, the side effects of Agent One would have to be pretty terrible to make me consider not wanting to use it.

Kudos for the mind food

*EDIT*: Xenocide must have happened only hours after Jonas' death, because I can't believe we haven't told the Jaffa some bits and pieces of what would happen, you know, for evacuation. And... are we busy speed constructing housing on Nueva and other habitable planets yet? I'm guessing that with the worlds financial weight behind such a project, millions upon millions of shelter homes could easily be constructed, hell, I'd bring nanites in the game .

Comment

Originally posted by Icer234 View Post
        ............................................Walter? you killed walter?! WHY!?!?!! For all that is sane in the world, why?! It doesn't make any sense to do that?
        WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyy!

Anyways: nice epi. I'm also in agreement, we can't not use it. It's a physiological fact, we're engineered to put our survival over that of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Sector View Post
          Kidding aside, whoa, what an episode. Marvelous and eventful, just like a season ender should be. And I can't blame Walter for what he has done. It's a common theme in many series that once in a while, you've got to team up with someone that has not exactly been your ally during the rest of the series.
          My feelings exactly.

My personal feelings on this are pretty mixed, I really dislike the Trust (not as a story element, just as an organisation that can't appear to be weeded out). But in this specific case, I'm with the Trust. If I were in the UN meeting, and someone was telling me about the virus, I would be cheering like a madman. While simultaneously hoping that they have the good sense to drop it on as many places at the same time as possible (the Der'kal aren't stupid, they'll find something to stop it).
          This was exactly the kind of thought I was hoping to stir up... after all, SG-1 may play the good guys, but that doesn't necessarily mean we have to agree with them every step of the way. And good point on the Der'kal; we know they aren't idiots, and they've obviously found ways to counter things we use to fight them (Asgard defense satellites, etc.).

I also wouldn't be too displeased at the comment of becoming a more dominant player in the galaxy. It's pretty clear that our expansion in the galaxy is pretty inevitable, we as a species have expanded everywhere we could for as long as we exist (check on where the human population is on the globe, as compared to our birth in Africa). It just makes sense that we go settling new, preferably uninhabited worlds, and don't fool yourselves, the galaxy is HUGE, mind bogglingly so.
          Humans may have expanded everywhere, but not ones that think of Earth as their home. Tau'ri are a relatively minor face in the galaxy, whereas non-Earth humans are by far more common on other planets. And you're right, we should be settling uninhabited worlds. But keep in mind, the second Earth lays claim to another peoples' planet, it's imperialsim all over again.

In doing this, and with our rapid advancements (the Nox seem to be at quite the standstill, the Jaffa have little scientific base and are quite a bit younger in this regard, also the fact that they are a warrior culture), it would be normal that people would turn to us for guidance and protection.
          The Nox have no need to really advance further, as their technology is impressivley ahead of ours, even with the Asgard database. As for the Jaffa, they're starting to pick up the science route on their own, but for now, yes they need our help. That said, the Tok'ra and Nox continue to be doing all right... don't forget, they were the ones that designed the new ion cannons now protecting Earth and other Alliance worlds (remember, as of the Second Battle of Ankgor, the Der'kal have found a way to hack the Asgard satellites).

Think of it as what is happening with the European Union now, the promise of economic, cultural and defensive advancement seems to be irresistible for some. Even countries that are technically outside of Europe have been continuously applying (Morroco, of the top of my head). I'm guessing the same would happen with neighbouring worlds, until a large part of the galaxy is part of the Earth Federation/Terran Empire/Whatever you want to call it. At least the human population except for the Asschen will be .
          And yet, in Stargate, most offworld cultures prefer to be left alone to their own affairs. The Jaffa Nation is one exception to this rule, but for the most part it seems non-Earth humans like the idea of separate "islands" of humanity in the great "sea" of space.

On a final note, the side effects of Agent One would have to be pretty terrible to make me consider not wanting to use it.
          Ah yes, side effects... we'll be seeing about that.

*EDIT*: Xenocide must have happened only hours after Jonas' death, because I can't believe we haven't told the Jaffa some bits and pieces of what would happen, you know, for evacuation.
          Most episodes are about one-two weeks apart, so "Xenocide" took place roughly a week after Jonas arrived from the future in "The Time Traveler." The Jaffa were aware the Der'kal were going to attack, but without knowledge of where, when, how, and with what resources, they had no choice but to continue as usual. After all, Jaffa are fairly confident in themselves anyway, being warriors. Did you really expect them to drop everything and evacuate everyone?

And... are we busy speed constructing housing on Nueva and other habitable planets yet? I'm guessing that with the worlds financial weight behind such a project, millions upon millions of shelter homes could easily be constructed, hell, I'd bring nanites in the game .
          Nueva is quickly becoming a valuable offworld asset, but it's still mostly a military/scientific colony, with very few civilians at present. However, as you'll see in early Season 14, there are a few other examples of international response to the galactic need.

That said, Earth is extremely isolationist at the moment. In the Untied Nations, the proponants of galactic involvement hold a majority, but that doesn't mean that every country on Earth is contributing to helping out our neighbors.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            we know they (Der'kal) aren't idiots, and they've obviously found ways to counter things we use to fight them (Asgard defense satellites, etc.).
            Indeed, it makes sense they'd be able to hack our stuff, as we ourselves probably don't have enough grasp of Asgard security protocol to effectively use it, without stepping in the pitfalls (yet many would intuitively assume that it was better than anything we had). For example, the Asgard may well have used a system designed around quantum encryption, and we could have adapted our own primitive understanding of it (see wikipedia if you're interested) to the technology and said our hybrid implementation was unbeatable.

I think the knowledge that this will happen (as foretold by Jonas), will make us revise the system in place, and perhaps by gauging the computational power of advanced species (we have the Asgard and the Nox as measuring sticks), we can rely on good old fashioned system (i.e.: mathematically sound) with enough cypher depth to make it impossible to get around within a reasonable timespan. Just a thought though.

Humans may have expanded everywhere, but not ones that think of Earth as their home. Tau'ri are a relatively minor face in the galaxy, whereas non-Earth humans are by far more common on other planets. And you're right, we should be settling uninhabited worlds. But keep in mind, the second Earth lays claim to another peoples' planet, it's imperialsim all over again.
            I think that an invasion of a world that has done nothing to us would be very, very difficult to justify in front of the UN, morally as well as financially. What I meant by "more dominant" was being the centrepiece of something like the Asschen Confederation, but without the genocide and the keeping other people dumb. Beneficial to all, as some would say.

And yet, in Stargate, most offworld cultures prefer to be left alone to their own affairs. The Jaffa Nation is one exception to this rule, but for the most part it seems non-Earth humans like the idea of separate "islands" of humanity in the great "sea" of space.
            Most civilizations we've come across that exhibit this type of behaviour have been rather primitive (or really high developed (Tollan)). Civilizations of roughly our level (and population) that have a chance of being our equal partners, have been much more amenable to trade/cooperation, or at least some of them saw what goodness it could bring (the Galarans, the Optricans perhaps, the Tagreans). Also there has been no precedent for a more permanent joining of Earth with another planet, and it could not have happened earlier (or even now), because Earth is still too fractured to be making any decisions like that. It's just future thinking. I mean, if I was an Earth-like planet full of humans with 21th century technology that had been watching a bit of what's going on in the galaxy, I would surely think twice about an alliance offering, and I would be worrying mostly about what I had to offer.

Nueva is quickly becoming a valuable offworld asset, but it's still mostly a military/scientific colony, with very few civilians at present. However, as you'll see in early Season 14, there are a few other examples of international response to the galactic need.
            Yes, Nueva is an awesome thing, but following the "not putting all the eggs in the same basket"-theory, I would argue for the creation of at least 2 other colonies, maybe with more of a civilian balance.

That said, Earth is extremely isolationist at the moment. In the Untied Nations, the proponants of galactic involvement hold a majority, but that doesn't mean that every country on Earth is contributing to helping out our neighbors.
            Nope, just the important ones

Comment

And because I am a benevolent god... Season 14 previews!

14x01 "Total War"
              The Trust flees an Earth left shocked by the events of "Xenocide," bringing the Agent One virus into the farthest reaches of enemy space. In the compromised ISGC, Dr. Talbot struggles to convince the United Nations to attempt to rescue General O'Neill, and a still-divided SG-1 tries to rally the Jaffa before their fleet collapses in a desperate last stand over Ankgor. Meanwhile, the Trust itself launches an all-out assault on the Der'kal, but is the price of utilizing Agent One too great?

14x02 "Growing Pains"
              In the face of the continuing Der'kal invasion, several dozen human worlds petition the Alliance for membership, hoping its collective military might can defend them. However, their attempts are marred by continued political strife on both Chulak and Earth, threatening to tear the two old allies apart in the process.

14x03 "Resistance"
              A heavily-populated refugee world currently playing host to ten million displaced humans and Jaffa contacts the ISGC begging for assistance. The Der'kal have conquered most of the planet, but they have one simple hope remaining; that Earth can break the alien blockade and liberate the planet long enough for most of the refugees to escape.

14x04 "The Coming Storm"
              With the war's ferocity increasing by the day, the Nox send a legendary mystic to Earth. Her stated goal is to evaluate how ready SG-1 is for the trials ahead, but is there something more to her visit? And when her methods nearly put Daniel Jackson into a coma, can Dr. Talbot and her staff hold off an infuriated United Nations long enough to preserve the fledgling Alliance?

14x05 "Conflict of Interest"
              Construction of a revolutionary X-305 begins over Nueva, promising a serious boost to the Alliance fleet if it is completed on-time. However, an international appropriations board demands reallocation of funds to more pressing planetary concerns, threatening to shelve the project. At the same time, Colonel Mitchell is contacted by members of the Trust still at large...
              Last edited by s09119; 08 July 2008, 10:19 AM.
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Interesting..........

Comment

14x05 "Conflict of Interest"
                  Construction of a revolutionary X-305 begins over Nueva, promising a serious boost to the Alliance fleet if it is completed on-time. However, an international appropriations board demands reallocation of funds to more pressing planetary concerns, threatening to shelve the project. At the same time, Colonel Mitchell is contacted by members of the Trust still at large...
                  It's nice to know that, even though it's science fiction, the basics of life are still accurate: politicians and bureaucrats are idiots.

Comment

Not one episode that sounds less interesting than another, can't wait

Comment

AAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!! The Trust has captured s09119 and put a snake in him!!!!

Ah well. As long as he continues to write these brilliant stories we'll let him live.
                      sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post

Ah well. As long as he continues to write these brilliant stories we'll let him live.
                        *Pats on head* good snake head

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                        Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Very Nice, they all sound very interesting.

I was going to ask you anyways, about other humans in the Galaxy,what are the chances of Earth and the other human worlds joining as one, like he Jaffa?

I know theres no chance in hell, but it would still be interesting
                          [kick ass signature coming soon]

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                            *Goa'uld voice* Curse you, Lt. Col. Mcoy! Your world shall burn for this!

o_O Oh... um... *human voice* In that case, you didn't hear that.

Originally posted by Apollo214 View Post
                            Very Nice, they all sound very interesting.

I was going to ask you anyways, about other humans in the Galaxy,what are the chances of Earth and the other human worlds joining as one, like he Jaffa?

I know theres no chance in hell, but it would still be interesting
                            Not very likely. They're willing to join the Alliance because it doesn't involve giving up their sovreignty, but turning control over to Earth is a completely different matter. Personally, I think it only worked for the Jaffa because they had no concept of sovreignty beforehand anyway, so it wasn't such a sacrifice.

Comment

Just to get some more speculation going... if you want a peak at a new race entering the SG-1 universe, I suggest you check out Gateworld Virtual Fleet 3.0. I'm sure Mcoy knows which race I'm referring to

Comment

Just to get some more speculation going... if you want a peak at a new race entering the SG-1 universe, I suggest you check out Gateworld Virtual Fleet 3.0. I'm sure Mcoy knows which race I'm referring to
                                Ok McCoy, spill the beans

Comment

Working...
                                X