Continuing Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    why would you name spacecraft after the navy roles? there might be analogies, but why not just go with new names fit for the actual role? the only reason spacecraft get those names is to have quick and easy recognition from everyday people. "its a battlecruiser? well that's probably quite a big and powerful ship"

though horribly wrong it's probably horribly easy to use.

also a spaceship would -realistically- have a skyscraper layout, not a boat layout.
    My point is there's precedent for naming a space craft in the manner of navy ships, and they're called "fleets" rather than "forces" the closest to "Space Force" there is is the Air Force Space Command.

I think Steelbox's point is along the lines of the craft that the Air Force use are meant as "relatively" short range weapons compared to space craft. They can get callsigns sure, but the craft itself won't have a military designation like a Navy, and up until now most if not ALL space vehicles. It stands to reason that they'd continue that Navyesque tradition even though it's the Air Force.

Believe whatever you wat, i'm done arguing.
    Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

lets call it a matter of opinion then. IMO spaceforce is nowhere near as cheesy and populist as Spacefleet or whatever it was

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
        Since we're talking about Space Force/Fleet/Whatever, i'm showing precedent that because a space vehicle is more like a Navy ship than Air Force, the naming proceeds along those same lines. In concordance, it would be a fleet rather than a force because they can be out for extended periods with a large (relatively) crew that literally lives on the craft.
        Maybe since it's a hybrid of Air Force (the space part) and Navy (type/design of craft), it should be called the Space Force Fleet.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        lets call it a matter of opinion then. IMO spaceforce is nowhere near as cheesy and populist as Spacefleet or whatever it was
        I agree. I could care less for either Space Force or Spacefleet or Starfleet or whatever. There isn't a good reason it should be one of them, but there isn't really a reason it shouldn't be either.

Comment

well there are reasons why it should be Space Force. it's just that "space fleet" is more obvious though IMO incorrect. talk of cruisers, BC's, dreadnoughts, and everyone knows what you're talking about, though IMO it's incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            like the SHIELD Helicarrier in Marvel Comics.
            Those things have to be the biggest waste of taxpayer money in history.

Comment

imo it should honour jack and call it starfleet (startrek)

i rule startegic games

Comment

okay wow! I just logged back on after not seeing anything on my comment before. Apparently there was a huge debate while I was gone about the semantics of our fictional-possibly-future space combat groups/fleets/forces.

neat.

anyway.... just my two cents in defense of the initial comment that started this. I chose space fleets out of personal preference, but it does seem, to me at least, that the navy would be better at it. I mean, in pretty much everything I've seen, the navy not the air force is in charge. i understood why the air force was chosen by the SG writers, but once they wrote in ships like Prometheus, I thought they should turn those over to the navy. Now I also get that they couldn't draw in more armed forces branches into an already large and unsustainable in real life secret, but they got the USMC involved... Besides, the marines and navy work much closer together than the air force and navy. marines would be the forces transported to place via the starships, so it only seems logical that it'd be the navy as well.
                Check out my music on Youtube and iCompositions.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/phildebrand2http://www.icompositions.com/artists/olympus/
                sigpic

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                  Those things have to be the biggest waste of taxpayer money in history.
                  ...but it's so cool looking!!!
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

And its commanded by a guy with an EYEPATCH!

or someone who once nearly lost everything thatnks to his DRINKING PROBLEM!

or ..... *drum roll* ..... DAVID HASSLEHOFF!! *

see, you just can't lose with a Heli Carrier!

* he played Nick Fury in a TV movie. Not joking...
                    [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post

I guess it depends on which incarnation of Nick Fury you're thikning of

Old Man?

Younger Soldier?

Black guy?

the possibilities are ENDLESS!
                      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Any updates on when we can expect new episodes?
                        SG Vennix
                        (Executive Producer/Creator)
                        - Coming Soon -
                        http://vennixproductions.wikia.com/

Star Chronicles: Dark Frontier

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post

Up to the Hasslehoff line, I just had a Colonel Tight post-New Caprica image in my head...

Originally posted by Dan93 View Post
                          Any updates on when we can expect new episodes?
                          Within a week, unless I can't get this latest project done in time... in which case a week and a half. I'm not gonna pull a Horizon and keep telling you it's about to be here when it never is, but I'm also not gonna be a Blizzard and just insist that "it's coming when we're ready for it to come, so stfu." But yeah, these last few weeks are just a little more workload-intensive than I was anticipating is all.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Within a week, unless I can't get this latest project done in time... in which case a week and a half. I'm not gonna pull a Horizon and keep telling you it's about to be here when it never is, but I'm also not gonna be a Blizzard and just insist that "it's coming when we're ready for it to come, so stfu." But yeah, these last few weeks are just a little more workload-intensive than I was anticipating is all.
                            Thanks, I understand what's it's like to be swamped with work and not be able to get anything done... At least your keeping us in the loop and not lying about when stuff will be done. Will you be completing Season 16 of SG-1 before continuing Atlantis?
                            SG Vennix
                            - Coming Soon -
                            http://vennixproductions.wikia.com/

Star Chronicles: Dark Frontier

Comment

I guess that's why it's always getting blown up/taken over by the bad guys, they're jealous of SHIELD riding around in style.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                                I guess that's why it's always getting blown up/taken over by the bad guys, they're jealous of SHIELD riding around in style.
                                Something tells me that's not the main reason, but it may very well be a contributing factor

Comment

Working...
                                X