No announcement yet.

Continuing Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually there ARE explosions in space. they're often very short and they're not as pretty like in an atmosphere.

why do you think Space force sounds silly? starfleet or spacefleet or whatever with fleet in it IMO sounds like you should have a strange forehead and do silly stuff. depends on taste, i believe.

sorry i can't quote you. my mouse is acting weird.

anyway, missiles are useful in space, simply because nukes are so powerful. and torpedoes? please. realistically they would be lasers, though particle beams would work nicely too. torpedoes are slow like crap and any laser defence would take them out with ease. missiles probably too, but they have maneuverability. and they'd probably be for shorter range warfare, so there's less time for intercept.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
      You just don't get it, and that's okay. In the REAL WOLRD they actually call it the "Air Force Space Command" Which IMO sounds much better than "Space Force".

Seriously, Space Force sounds like i should run around in circles in my room with my arms outstretched making flying noises!

Whhrrriii!! Pew Pew!

The fact that they were willing ot rename the first shuttle from it's original name to Enterprise of all things is quite telling as far as naming is oing. Is Enterprise a good name? Sure! but they were going to call it something else. Star Trek fans of all things convinced them to change it.

And the final point, this is ENTERTAINMENT. Do we have the technology to fire asgard plasma beams of doom in real life? Can we transport people hundreds of kilometers? I don't mind having some less than realistic moments in my ENTERTAINMENT, as long as it's ENTERTAINING. If i wanted pure realism i'd read another tech manual.
      can i come over and play??

all the rest i agree with!

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        actually there ARE explosions in space. they're often very short and they're not as pretty like in an atmosphere.

why do you think Space force sounds silly? starfleet or spacefleet or whatever with fleet in it IMO sounds like you should have a strange forehead and do silly stuff. depends on taste, i believe.

sorry i can't quote you. my mouse is acting weird.

anyway, missiles are useful in space, simply because nukes are so powerful. and torpedoes? please. realistically they would be lasers, though particle beams would work nicely too. torpedoes are slow like crap and any laser defence would take them out with ease. missiles probably too, but they have maneuverability. and they'd probably be for shorter range warfare, so there's less time for intercept.
        Agree on the tech stuff
        but starfleet sounds more...I dont know sophisticated than Space Force. Space Force sounds liek a three year old is in command of the spacial military. A three year old thats watched too much power rangers.
        sigpic

Comment

i''l call that personal opinion.

while you believe SpaceForce is invented by a 3-year old, i think SpaceFleet is not only overused, but also something too Trekky.

anyway, i'm not old enough for the 50's, nor have i heard the term Spaceforce lately, while anything space-associated with fleet, ship, cruiser, battlecruiser etc in it has been overused.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            i''l call that personal opinion.

while you believe SpaceForce is invented by a 3-year old, i think SpaceFleet is not only overused, but also something too Trekky.

anyway, i'm not old enough for the 50's, nor have i heard the term Spaceforce lately, while anything space-associated with fleet, ship, cruiser, battlecruiser etc in it has been overused.
            Well what else would you call them? There's no Air Force analog for "giant ship with lots of guns and high defense" or "medium-sized ship that's very fast but has only light armament." Even futuristic Air Force units have Navy-esque names to some extent, like the SHIELD Helicarrier in Marvel Comics.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              On an unrelated note, my research paper is done and I'm horrified to see that although it's 11 pages long, it has fewer characters than one of my episodes on here...
              sorry and all, but i'm certainly not betaing something THAT long

(btw: is it betaing? beta-er-ing? .... i'll go ask in the pet peeves section ... )
              [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                Well what else would you call them? There's no Air Force analog for "giant ship with lots of guns and high defense" or "medium-sized ship that's very fast but has only light armament." Even futuristic Air Force units have Navy-esque names to some extent, like the SHIELD Helicarrier in Marvel Comics.
                Well let's look at the heaviest firepower the Air Force has, the "GunShip." it's a big cargo plane refitted with cannons for ground support.

The B-52 is a strategic bomber, it basically floats up there until it rains 70000 pounds worth of bombs

Neither is a self sustaining craft with domiciles and mess halls because the missions they undertake and relatively short ranged when speaking about Space. Space Ships are much more like Navy Ships in that the crew lives there for the duration. It's not just where they work. The fact that they give space ships individual names as they do Navy Ships is another point.You don't hear about the amazing "F-22 Raptor Class "USF-Arrow", yet you DO hear about the OV-105 Class "Endeavour" (i.e. The shuttle)

That facts seem to point towards a "fleet" rather than a "force"
                Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Neither is a self sustaining craft with domiciles and mess halls because the missions they undertake and relatively short ranged when speaking about Space. Space Ships are much more like Navy Ships in that the crew lives there for the duration. It's not just where they work. The fact that they give space ships individual names as they do Navy Ships is another point.You don't hear about the amazing "F-22 Raptor Class "USF-Arrow", yet you DO hear about the OV-105 Class "Endeavour" (i.e. The shuttle)

That facts seem to point towards a "fleet" rather than a "force"
                  Actually, planes are referred to with the call sign of the pilot or the number assigned to that plane. Both the Navy and Air Force do that.

The Navy groups their ships into fleets (which will generally become battle groups or task forces when deployed). The Air Force on the other hand, actually groups some divisions into forces like the Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force. So because the ships are under Air Force control, it is probably force is actually more likely a name than fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fettucchini View Post
                    Actually, planes are referred to with the call sign of the pilot or the number assigned to that plane. Both the Navy and Air Force do that.

The Navy groups their ships into fleets (which will generally become battle groups or task forces when deployed). The Air Force on the other hand, actually groups some divisions into forces like the Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force. So because the ships are under Air Force control, it is probably force is actually more likely a name than fleet.
                    But you wouldn't see a fighter called Odyssey unless that happened to be the pilot's callsign. Whatever the name of the captain, a Navy ship called the Odyssey is always going to be called the Odyssey, just like in space fleets.
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Fair enough, but look at how the naming of naval ships and air force planes differs.

The HMS Hood was an Admiral Class Battlecruiser

There's an ACH-47 called "Easy Money"

One is an official designation given to teh craft by the military, the other is a nickname given by the pilot.

The OV class (Space Shuttle) wasn't given its names by the pilots. It was along the same lines as Naval ships. Each craft was given its name and dedication.

SG follows the same structure. The 304s are "Daedalus" class ships, with differnet names for each. Ellis didn't choose Apollo, just like the flight crews for STS missions don't choose the name of their craft.
                      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

Fair enough, but look at how the naming of naval ships and air force planes differs.

The HMS Hood was an Admiral Class Battlecruiser

There's an ACH-47 called "Easy Money"

One is an official designation given to teh craft by the military, the other is a nickname given by the pilot.

The OV class (Space Shuttle) wasn't given its names by the pilots. It was along the same lines as Naval ships. Each craft was given its name and dedication.

SG follows the same structure. The 304s are "Daedalus" class ships, with differnet names for each. Ellis didn't choose Apollo, just like the flight crews for STS missions don't choose the name of their craft.
                        So basically what you're saying is that the Air Force doesn't name their planes like Navy ships, but they do name their space vehicles like them? I'm kinda confused as to exactly what you're trying to prove here.

Comment

So basically what you're saying is that the Air Force doesn't name their planes like Navy ships, but they do name their space vehicles like them? I'm kinda confused as to exactly what you're trying to prove here.
                          Since we're talking about Space Force/Fleet/Whatever, i'm showing precedent that because a space vehicle is more like a Navy ship than Air Force, the naming proceeds along those same lines. In concordance, it would be a fleet rather than a force because they can be out for extended periods with a large (relatively) crew that literally lives on the craft. I'm sure many pilots feel like they live in their planes, but it's not the same as a boat.

It has precedent. Look at what the shuttles are called when they're mentioned as a whole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_S...#Fleet_history

There you go. Fleet, not Force.

Comment

why would you name spacecraft after the navy roles? there might be analogies, but why not just go with new names fit for the actual role? the only reason spacecraft get those names is to have quick and easy recognition from everyday people. "its a battlecruiser? well that's probably quite a big and powerful ship"

though horribly wrong it's probably horribly easy to use.

also a spaceship would -realistically- have a skyscraper layout, not a boat layout.

Comment

Well if the Air Force had a massive, gigantic, gargantuan, aircraft that could carry thousands or hundreds people would you call for it designation? Or just give him a name because he is one of a kind? How many ships does the navy have and how many aircrafts the AF does have?
                              sigpic
                              - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

i'm not getting your point....

Comment

Working...
                                X