Continuing Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rasunda View Post
    I don't think money exists any more, thekillman...
    Certainly some things are temporarily demonetized because of the emergency situation right now, but to throw away the backbone of our economy...

(if anyone has had even a basic econ class they'd know the important role money plays in our capitalist economies*)

Basically, it would simply be unfeasible to move to a planned (moneyless) economy right now because it requires a massive administration, not to mention it is also less efficient at developing wealth (look at economic output statistics that have been retro-actively made up for the Soviet Union and the United States). Money effectively self-organizes rebuilding, so that no "department" needs to concern itself with for-example rebuilding individual houses. i.e.: more macro decisions can be taken, and there is little need for micromanagement (except for super important projects like the new SGC)

I would ofcourse very much like a detailed analysis of the economic situation on Earth right now. Like, were companies allowed to at least function partially during Der'kal oppression? Did disbanded companies try to get themselves together again after the victory over the Der'kal?

But I realize the author probably has more important and (for him and everyone else) more interesting things to write about, so I'm just going to assume that the economic recovery is going as expected, not too fast, not too slow.

Oh, and I was also wondering: the Asgard tech we inherited could probably be used to get our manufacturing capability up to par at an accelerated rate, not to mention a clean slate for training our scientists and engineers with more advanced methods. (hey, if the Tollan ditched Quantum Mechanics, so did the Asgard)

Keep up the good work!

* And make no mistake, there are almost no communist economies in the world today, and the one I can think of (Cuba) isn't doing very well indeed.

Comment

what i simply meant is, we just put a ton of effort into rebuilding the smashed thing, but as its way beyond us, its not gonna work

Comment

Yes, it's not going to work.
        Do you want a medal for that statement?
        sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Ras you get greened
          sigpic

Comment

Thank you Commander Thor!
            You seem to have my back in all threads
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG-18 View Post
              I also thought it was interesting that it was stored aboard the Jupiter. It makes sense, but its kinda odd..., but makes sense.
              It was on the Jupiter to allow for it to be used immediately should a Der'kal fleet arrive to attack. If it was on the ground, they'd need to get it into orbit before it could be used.

also, it is true it should have been under more scrutiny. like maybe a shield around it that immediately raises when plasma charges or is detected. we know the goa'uld could raise their personal shields real quick, like as fast as a bullet kinda thing. so we should have had something like that.
              ...you realize that the material for all that is kind of scarce at the moment, right? Earth's a bit more concerned with trying to feed/shelter its massive population and rebuild its cities right now.

As for some of the other questions; no, companies were not allowed to function while the Der'kal occupied the planet. The aliens simply moved in and re-purposed a lot of their factories for use in their own shipyards. As it stands, some corporations may be trying to get back on their feet, but the global economy is still shattered.

Yes, there will be ramifications for the Tau'ri-Jaffa relationship due to this.

No, as Sam said it simply isn't possible for us to rebuild the device.

Why did the Jaffa attack with his staff over just knocking it over? It looks cooler on television and I'm still writing as if you're watching this.

Also, this is not the Gateworld Virtual Fleet. I do things in my episodes as the show's precedent has set... that means that Asgard beaming will not allow for instant construction of everything, nor will Earth be able to miraculous fix all its problems with Asgard tech within mere days. The sacking of the planet is going to cause problems for years to come.

And lastly, remember that this is supposed to be a TV show. I'm trying to continue in the spirit of Stargate, which means not everything can be perfectly realistic, as SG-1 always fudged common sense a bit. So yes, it is understandable in this universe for Jaffa to be allowed to bring their weapons onto the Jupiter, as they've always brought them onto ships, and it's alright for superweapons to just be sitting there, as they always have.
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Also, this is not the Gateworld Virtual Fleet. I do things in my episodes as the show's precedent has set... that means that Asgard beaming will not allow for instant construction of everything, nor will Earth be able to miraculous fix all its problems with Asgard tech within mere days. The sacking of the planet is going to cause problems for years to come.

And lastly, remember that this is supposed to be a TV show. I'm trying to continue in the spirit of Stargate, which means not everything can be perfectly realistic, as SG-1 always fudged common sense a bit. So yes, it is understandable in this universe for Jaffa to be allowed to bring their weapons onto the Jupiter, as they've always brought them onto ships, and it's alright for superweapons to just be sitting there, as they always have.

for the first, well said, i think asgard tech CAN magically fix all, only what use is there? we'd be sitting will all that almost-magical tech, and we know what it does, but we cant build it ourselves, we dont understand the physics.

for the second, i know your opinion, we just stated ours. stargate gets criticism aswell.

i guess you can say that carter more or less did not pay alot of attention and was not really expecting allies to do such a thing.

Comment

Very well said s09. !
                  Green for yoU!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rasunda View Post
                    Thank you Commander Thor!
                    You seem to have my back in all threads
                    yes i do. stated why in BWT v1
                    sigpic

Comment

I know.
                      sigpic

Comment

Great eppy (did i say this already? i really cannot remember! Odea!) but it was. Does this mean Anise has permanent control over Lor'al, or was she in control because Lor was unconscious from being beaten up by T?

Anyway..
                        when everyone started talking about what they think Talbot looks like i started wondering what the der'kal looked like? I always imaged them as Brutes from Halo. click here to see them!
                        And well i looked back at the first episode they appeared and it mentioned them as a Unas/Serrakin/Wraith hybrid?
                        My attempt at drawing one. I'm rubbish at art, and i don't have a scanner so i used my phones camera to take the picture!
                        click here to see my beautiful picture..

Comment

The second one looks just like one, well, I don't know what it is.................
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post

Sure, it seems only reasonable that common sense solutions are not always taken in TV shows because that would totally kill some of the plot arcs. That doesn't take away from the fact that it's just generally nicer if there aren't many moments when you're screaming at the TV: "WHYYYYY (didn't they just do what anyone else with half a mind would do)!?!". That's also not levelled as a critiscism against your writing, because even though a boatload of episodes has passed, I have only had that feeling once. Just once. Which makes you about 42 times better than the original writers.

Another general observation is that it's really nice when the people in the series do things I would do/think of. It's incredible when people in the series do things I couldn't possibly have thought of, but make sense when you hear them (this doesn't happen very often, at all). Oh, and it's almost equally nice when people do things I thought of, only to have it backfire in a logical way (not some crazy anti Deus Ex Machina).

Comment

I always thought that they'd look something like this...

From Mass Effect. Never played it, but think it looks cool.

The first one is female the second male, if the Der'kal looked like that.
                              Last edited by SG-18; 01 October 2009, 04:28 PM.
                              Check out my music on Youtube and iCompositions.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/phildebrand2http://www.icompositions.com/artists/olympus/
                              sigpic

Enjoy!

Comment

BTW: I'm not screaming at people saying you can't criticize, I like feedback, even when it's negative. I was just saying why I do things the way I do them. Not everyone is going to have the same viewpoint, obviously.
                                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                                X