No announcement yet.

Continuing Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3) The supergate is effectively a very small corridor, when the analogy with ground warfare is drawn. Anyone seen the movie 300? -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae
    dont base anything on that film its historically incorrect hahaha i should know im doing a degree in history

also the ori are a different evolution to the humans so not directly the same so we might not be affected the same, biology is very complicated

also the aschen could plant a bomb on a planet when a battle is being waged
    Captain Simms

Comment

Originally posted by captain simms View Post
      dont base anything on that film its historically incorrect hahaha i should know im doing a degree in history
      Well, ofcourse I don't mean to say it's historically accurate, but it _is_ true that the spartans put up a very valiant and otherwise untenable defense thanks to the geography of the location. If it had been a plain, the Persian army could have just as well walked around

also the ori are a different evolution to the humans so not directly the same so we might not be affected the same, biology is very complicated
      Hmm, they are indeed a different evolution, but by the way they evolved to be exactly like us, I think both the Ori and the Alterans "programmed" the primitive organisms to evole to their current state. And as we are 99% of the way there, we should really kinda look alike, genetically speaking.

also the aschen could plant a bomb on a planet when a battle is being waged
      I wouldn't know why the Ori followers would want to get out of their cosy super powerful ships...

Comment

Originally posted by Sector View Post
        The Ori followers are also human, so if such things
        3) The supergate is effectively a very small corridor, when the analogy with ground warfare is drawn. Anyone seen the movie 300? -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae
        In addition to being historically inaccurate, that strategy wouldn't work since the Ori Motherships would be unable to wipe the Der'kal ships out instantly like they could when they invaded the Milky Way. The Der'kal would only have to send a few hundred ships in through the gate at once and overwhelm the Ori like they did on Earth.

Comment

not immediatley no but as it takes 3 cruisers to dispatch a 304(and thats with out our uber beams just tuned down) and one Ori cruiser could do it on it's own.

lets do add up again no?

ORI :
          near indestructable shields sto energy blobs +2
          beams that make our "uber" beams look weak +2
          several pulse cannons that cause decent damage +1
          hundreds of fighters that are unmatched in agility +firepower +1
          got epically powned(eventually) by "infidels" in their crusade - 1

DER'KAL :
          weapons fire that due to R.O.F would cause SOME minor damage to Ori shields +2
          shields cannot stand against our tuned down uberbeams one on one -1
          only have one class of weapon cannon (but effective) +1/-1
          hundreds of fighters that have extreme rapid fire + missiles
          defeated Earth (has to be put in cause not even Ori could do this) +1

[edit]i make it ORI : 5 DER'KAL : 3
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
            Hershel.

Still very confused.
            sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Thor View Post
              not immediatley no but as it takes 3 cruisers to dispatch a 304(and thats with out our uber beams just tuned down) and one Ori cruiser could do it on it's own.

lets do add up again no?

ORI :
              near indestructable shields sto energy blobs +2
              beams that make our "uber" beams look weak +2
              several pulse cannons that cause decent damage +1
              hundreds of fighters that are unmatched in agility +firepower +1
              got epically powned(eventually) by "infidels" in their crusade - 1

DER'KAL :
              weapons fire that due to R.O.F would cause SOME minor damage to Ori shields +2
              shields cannot stand against our tuned down uberbeams one on one -1
              only have one class of weapon cannon (but effective) +1/-1
              hundreds of fighters that have extreme rapid fire + missiles
              defeated Earth (has to be put in cause not even Ori could do this) +1

[edit]i make it ORI : 5 DER'KAL : 3
              To be fair, in a straight one-on-one math-up, a Der'kal cruiser could equal a DSC-304 in terms of firepower. It's really only the maneuverability of our ships that lets us take out multiple cruisers, and even then it's only one or two before things get too risky to keep going.
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                To be fair, in a straight one-on-one math-up, a Der'kal cruiser could equal a DSC-304 in terms of firepower. It's really only the maneuverability of our ships that lets us take out multiple cruisers, and even then it's only one or two before things get too risky to keep going.
                in the eppy Lost and Found it was stated that 3 cruisers were heading to the location of the last known Furling location and that three was enough to defeat the AURORA (304 one) thus implying that i can handle two but the thrid takes it out not mentioning about manouverability of the 304s agility.

also during the space battle scene of that eppy the AURORA did not do alot of major evasive manourvers. mainly flying in a straight line to get behind one of the Furling ships temporarily. and it still took out 2/3 of the cruisers with the 3rd being forced to flee by the combined firepower of the armada.

in Star By Star it was also stated that a particular battle group had specifically targetted the AURORA implying more than one was attacking. now assuming that some kills were made by the AURORA logic dictates that you shoot the ones shooting at you. as most battle groups tend to be 4-6 in size this implies that the Aurora sustained heavy fire from more than 3 cruisers AND dispatched about 3 in rerturn (from what i remember about the eppy)
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Thor View Post
                  in the eppy Lost and Found it was stated that 3 cruisers were heading to the location of the last known Furling location and that three was enough to defeat the AURORA (304 one) thus implying that i can handle two but the thrid takes it out not mentioning about manouverability of the 304s agility.

also during the space battle scene of that eppy the AURORA did not do alot of major evasive manourvers. mainly flying in a straight line to get behind one of the Furling ships temporarily. and it still took out 2/3 of the cruisers with the 3rd being forced to flee by the combined firepower of the armada.
                  And as I said, a DSC-304 is a match for one or two Der'kal cruisers, but any more would be pushing the ship past its limits.

in Star By Star it was also stated that a particular battle group had specifically targetted the AURORA implying more than one was attacking. now assuming that some kills were made by the AURORA logic dictates that you shoot the ones shooting at you. as most battle groups tend to be 4-6 in size this implies that the Aurora sustained heavy fire from more than 3 cruisers AND dispatched about 3 in rerturn (from what i remember about the eppy)
                  The Aurora was only targeted by so many ships in that case because Vur'naa was commanding that battle group, and he had a personal vendetta to settle with Col. Sanders concerning the opening battle of the war. Also, you need to remember that there were a lot of ships in the First Battle of Earth; more than the Aurora was attacking the battle group.
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    And as I said, a DSC-304 is a match for one or two Der'kal cruisers, but any more would be pushing the ship past its limits.
                    yupp i knowi was pointing out that not much in terms of out manouvering was done on the AURORA's behalf.flying in a straight line. thus 2 on 1 survivable with what was it? 5-15% shields left. enough to buy time to jump.
                    thus meaning Ori would survive much greater on their own (with their vastly larger fleet than our own if they attacked +their sat def grid would be more efficient no?)

The Aurora was only targeted by so many ships in that case because Vur'naa was commanding that battle group, and he had a personal vendetta to settle with Col. Sanders concerning the opening battle of the war. Also, you need to remember that there were a lot of ships in the First Battle of Earth; more than the Aurora was attacking the battle group.
                    my point was that the AURORA was attacked by an entire battle group. so it's shields must have been under some serious strain as it survived roughly 6 cruisers attacking it. and yes other vessels obvioously chipped in a bit to dispatching the cruisers but the AURORA was engaging them most of the time on it's own.
                    Last edited by Commander Thor; 02 June 2009, 12:29 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sector View Post
                      Well, ofcourse I don't mean to say it's historically accurate, but it _is_ true that the spartans put up a very valiant and otherwise untenable defense thanks to the geography of the location. If it had been a plain, the Persian army could have just as well walked around
                      they wouldnt have been able to walk around any way because there was an athanien army of 4000 troops in reserve plus reinforcements from other greek settlements, also the only reason the spartans lost was because a spy told the persians a way through the valley haha and even when they won they sustained so many casulties that the campaign was abandoned.

anyway that aint the point the point is that s09 stated that the ori would only appear in about 2 episodes max, just gave a guess on what might happen
                      Captain Simms

Comment

cant wait to see the Ori altough part of me thinks they will refuse to get involved in A massive war like this one...

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
                          cant wait to see the Ori altough part of me thinks they will refuse to get involved in A massive war like this one...
                          I doubt they'd want to but to be honest, they do kind of owe us one?
                          They did invade our galaxy and kill millions of innocent people? It's only fair they help out now. and anyway if they don't the der'kal will find the supergate eventually when they conquer that area of space. If they can activate it the Ori are goners!

Comment

Does anyone know how many ships the Ori have? Or if they're able to build more without the priors help. (They were mostly farmers and didn't have any modern technology before the crusade so would they be able to build these ships without someone leading them by the hand.)

Comment

Well the priors are still alive, they where just "cleansed" of origin.
                              sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Originally posted by asdfgh View Post
                                Does anyone know how many ships the Ori have? Or if they're able to build more without the priors help. (They were mostly farmers and didn't have any modern technology before the crusade so would they be able to build these ships without someone leading them by the hand.)
                                Well the humans built the ships, the Priors were like supervisors? I guess they gave them plans and the knowhow and let them do it so im guessing they can. They built at least 4 in about a year at the most? They'll have quite a few more by now?

Comment

Working...
                                X