No announcement yet.

Continuing Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice episode, not the best, but certainly not the worst (features little novelty in my opinion).

What I never got though about this new "election" plot, is how on earth could anyone be for isolationism now? I mean, you'd have to be seriously dumb to think the Der'kal would just leave us alone after they've wiped out the rest (them going after us after doing everything else in would be the _optimal_ probable scenario here).

I mean, sure we may argue that politicians are on average not smart (I'm not saying that I think that is true, but many people do feel this way), but there's a whole level between not being a genius and not understanding cause and effect.

That said, there are levels of isolationism that could probably be helpful rather than the deathwish of pure isolation. Namely the temporary kind.

Temporarily staying out of major battles, requesting aid if it will speed things up greatly (else just leave it, to avoid those nasty "you owe us" conversations, nobody likes to be dependent). Essentialy just quick rebuilding. Then that policy should end if certain goals are met. For example if the fleet has doubled and there is enough food being produced on the planet and there are no major wars going on on the surface.

Just my $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasunda View Post
      Yeah!
      And it's ASGARD not asguard!
      It's Der'kal not "Dar'kel".
      Rasunda, not to sound rude, but you probably shouldnt lecture other people about spellling...

its WITH, not WHIT like you write mostly.

and its PEOPLE, not PEAPOL.

Comment

Originally posted by wraith queen inga View Post
        Rasunda, not to sound rude, but you probably shouldnt lecture other people about spellling...

its WITH, not WHIT like you write mostly.

and its PEOPLE, not PEAPOL.
        Calm down, not everyone has the luxury of having English as their first language...

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Wraith queen inga is from sweden, just like rasunda and me.
          sigpic

Comment

calm down people, lets have some cake
            Captain Simms

Comment

Oooh cake. I hope it's chocolate.
              sigpic

Comment

Yes, and out english teaher isn't that good.
                She was burned out for 3 months, so we didn't have any english then...
                sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

My third grade english teacher sucked out loud.
                  She thought union was spelled onion
                  sigpic

Comment

She did?!
                    Well my teacher spells like this
                    "problom", can you belive that?!
                    sigpic

Comment

The school should make sure that that teacher can write/speak english properly beofore they hire them.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah!
                        But she's still working...
                        ...at our school...
                        sigpic

Comment

calm down people, lets have some cake

Dr. D
                          God is the original transporter.

Acts 8:39b-40a: The Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Phillip away and the official did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. Philip, however, appeared at Azotus (an old city in ancient Israel) and traveled about.

He is also the author of love and justice:

Spoiler:
                          Romans 5:8: But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

John 14:6: Jesus (Christ) answered: I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

*Takes a peice of cake, and eats it in 1 bite!*
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sector View Post
                              Nice episode, not the best, but certainly not the worst (features little novelty in my opinion).

What I never got though about this new "election" plot, is how on earth could anyone be for isolationism now? I mean, you'd have to be seriously dumb to think the Der'kal would just leave us alone after they've wiped out the rest (them going after us after doing everything else in would be the _optimal_ probable scenario here).
                              Earth's population has been reduced to around four billion people... that's a third of our entire society gone. The planet's infrastructure is almost nonexistent, we have little ability to grow food, produce supplies, or even purify drinking water. In this case, I would actually agree with the Assembly; how can we go back to the war and practically beg the Der'kal to make another pass when we couldn't even resist a minor attack? Earth does need time to rebuild, but at the same time, the Alliance is on the fence right now, and the war is nearing its turning point.

[QUOTE]I mean, sure we may argue that politicians are on average not smart (I'm not saying that I think that is true, but many people do feel this way), but there's a whole level between not being a genius and not understanding cause and effect.

That said, there are levels of isolationism that could probably be helpful rather than the deathwish of pure isolation. Namely the temporary kind.,/QUOTE]

That's where the Assembly was coming from. They're all for fighting off the Der'kal, just not right now. On the other hand, Talbot and the old SG-1 crew all argue that it's now or never.

Temporarily staying out of major battles, requesting aid if it will speed things up greatly (else just leave it, to avoid those nasty "you owe us" conversations, nobody likes to be dependent). Essentialy just quick rebuilding. Then that policy should end if certain goals are met. For example if the fleet has doubled and there is enough food being produced on the planet and there are no major wars going on on the surface.
                              The problem is that there is no real fleet. We have two MBP-305s, three DSC-304s, three BC-303s, and that's it. It seems like a lot of ships, but with Earth's defense grid destroyed, there's no way we could ever send out more than half of those ships to combat without leaving the planet more-or-less defenseless.

Now, on to the election issue. The problem in "Loyalties" was that the the military at the Beta Site wanted to keep their tiny fleet at the outpost at all times to protect themselves and give them time to rebuild and rearm. But Carter was adamant that they couldn't just leave the Alliance to keep up the fight all alone, and the civilian population wanted revenge just as badly. So when Talbot established the FPE, she saw to it that it was civilians that were elected into leadership positions, giving Carter the authority and go-ahead to fight as much as she wanted.

But that turned against them once they retook Earth. The same civilians that had been so instrumental in legitimizing the guerrilla war against the Der'kal had been driven by a desire to see their homeworld liberated, and now that it was theirs again, they had no intention of risking their precious ships for the Alliance. Makepeace wanted the Assembly dead because he believed it was unfair to let these Beta Site civilians swoop in and take all the power, not because he disagreed with them; he would have certainly followed their views on the subject. So that's why Talbot arranged for emergency elections, to get a new Assembly in power drawn from refugees and occupation-sufferers alike, and she probably did have a hand in ensuring that it was only those who would certainly champion going back to war that got seats. It may be slightly underhanded, but I doubt anyone will fault her when it's humanity that's at stake. Either way, he appointment to the position of Chief of State was completely legitimate; she had nothing to do with that, and the group voted her into leadership freely and on merit alone.

So, that should answer that And also:

ISGC Unit Roster - SG-1

CO: Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell
                              2IC: Maj. Rebbecca Eaton
                              Diplomat/Linguist: Dr. Daniel Jackson
                              Special Operations: Vala Mal Doran
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Good.
                                And I'm with you on that point about consentrating on EArth.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X