No announcement yet.

All fic is AU. Discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fanficing stuff is not new. Even stuff that messes with the previous stuff.
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
      Don't you love stuff like that?

I do. You find all kinds of fun stuff when you go looking. You see people who seemed so interested and then only posted a few times. I always wonder what made them decide to stop posting.
      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
        I do. You find all kinds of fun stuff when you go looking. You see people who seemed so interested and then only posted a few times. I always wonder what made them decide to stop posting.
        To be honest, I've considered it after a long lull, but you guys always post something interesting and/or hilarious to draw me back.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

It's easy to lose momentum with fanfiction. If all your early reviews are "Meh" to "Dumb," why would you want to keep writing for that audience?
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

It's easy to lose momentum with fanfiction. If all your early reviews are "Meh" to "Dumb," why would you want to keep writing for that audience?
            Or, as many of my fandoms have, you run out of people to talk to. The thing become isolated and stagnant and boring.

Comment

I hope SG never becomes stagnant and boring!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
              sigpic
              now also appearing on DeviantArt
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

i love to see the brain children (more like brain civilization) of the Gateworld Fleets make it to Stargate. ranging from the Nomad project (ships sent out by earth to "seed" subspace buoys to speed up first contact and explore galaxies further away) which bears resemblance to Destiny and it's seedships, to the Drones and their resemblance of the Swarm(machine species made to fight a war from one side. eventually they adapted to their failsafe, and overcame their masters and continued their programming)

i love fanfic because it offers great food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  i love to see the brain children (more like brain civilization) of the Gateworld Fleets make it to Stargate.
                  i love fanfic because it offers great food for thought.
                  If fanfic is food for thought, my food probably leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

Comment

i don't know.

S09's food is what nurtures my brain when i crave for stargate

Comment

Hmmm. That's true.

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                      Or, as many of my fandoms have, you run out of people to talk to. The thing become isolated and stagnant and boring.
                      This place is huge with an enormous number of posters! I don't think you will run out of people to talk to for ages!

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                      I hope SG never becomes stagnant and boring!
                      Three series with many years of episodes. It should continue for a long time yet. Many people may still become fans even without new episodes airing.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                        Three series with many years of episodes. It should continue for a long time yet. Many people may still become fans even without new episodes airing.
                        I only recently managed to permanently get into it (my fiancée nearly ruined it for me).

Comment

I started watching just over a year ago. I needed something to watch while I was on the treadmill and my son suggested this.

Comment

it has generated sufficient material to create original fiction for decades. which is precisely why MGM will never permanently abandon it. in terms of analogies, we're in the fridge.

Stargate itself has a beautiful premise because the Gate is an artifact which allows low-threshold interstellar travel. unlike ship-based or jump-point based stories

Comment

I count myself lucky to have been a fan of the franchise since the film came out! I think (and hope) that there is enough fan interest to keep discussions going for a long time to come. If any form of the show is still being transmitted on tv, there will always be new fans being attracted and there are plenty of long term fans who are happy to keep things ticking over. Look at other fandoms, Trek has keep going with periods of time where there hasn't been much new material to work with and so has Star Wars.

I think there is definitely an argument for fanfic being AU. If someone writes a fic that deviates from canon, then it is pretty much AU. So all shipper fic that involves a relationship that hasn't been confirmed, at the stage in the SG timeline the fic is set, is AU. Any fic where the characters behave in a fashion that the onscreen characters wouldn't is AU or fic written to 'correct' a plotline the author didn't like is AU.
                              The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Comment

Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post
                                I count myself lucky to have been a fan of the franchise since the film came out! I think (and hope) that there is enough fan interest to keep discussions going for a long time to come. If any form of the show is still being transmitted on tv, there will always be new fans being attracted and there are plenty of long term fans who are happy to keep things ticking over. Look at other fandoms, Trek has keep going with periods of time where there hasn't been much new material to work with and so has Star Wars.

I think there is definitely an argument for fanfic being AU. If someone writes a fic that deviates from canon, then it is pretty much AU. So all shipper fic that involves a relationship that hasn't been confirmed, at the stage in the SG timeline the fic is set, is AU. Any fic where the characters behave in a fashion that the onscreen characters wouldn't is AU or fic written to 'correct' a plotline the author didn't like is AU.
                                Many authors would argue that the way they write the canon characters is completely believable even if it was not shown on screen. I tend to think that any fiction written by a non-sanctioned author is AU. Some AU may be very close to canon, but it's still AU. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X