This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fanfiction written with real military facts

After reading so many fanfiction, I find a major weakness in some of the fanfictions, that being the lack of military knowledge and how to use actual tactics rather than relying on character shield. Moreover, it's really hard to find good fanfiction that is written in epic scale, involving massive battle and being able to write them well. I'm talking about the level of Tom clancy level minus the american tech wank. Stories that actually research on military fact rather than jumping around it or ignoring it. Things like being able to describe how a fighter react in zero-G enviroment to the choice of using MP-7 rather than an M-16 for SG forces, and the roles of marines to Rangers.

Most stargate fanfics I found are more of emotional stuggles than battle scenes, even if they are there, it is rather short. So is there any author that actually know what exactly are they writing about? Reason is, unlike other sci-fi shows, stargate takes knowledge of real life military, even the writers would have to consult the airforce before putting in their script to ensure accuracy. So I don't hope for things like x-304 for production ships or X-302 for fighters when it is already in production.

I have a few stories that actually are able to meet those level..

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2885152/1/

and the spearhead saga

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/185761/

Can anyone find more of this kkind of stories or write one?

Check out one of my stories, maybe its got a few facts right. Say, remember the Atlantis season ending episode where the Marines were wearing cute little red berets - barf, puke!

Mike3121

http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/47/eveof.html

Comment

I try to keep military realism in any military story that I write. Spending time in the army helped me a lot though in tactics and reality. I'm normally the one who shouts at screen when I see something wrong on SG-1 or Atlantis. I think one of the major problems came in Season three into the fire. They were too close and was there any real tactics by the rescue team? or on the towers?

However how much more of a perfect military withdrawal on than on season 8 Reckoning when
      Spoiler:
      the replicators come down the ramp in the SGC. The guards in the room leave perfectly with going one after the other while the others give covering fire and as they are passing they tap the next one to let them know they've passed.

But generally I've heard a lot of fanfics and episodes have got major military problems. But I don't think that the emotional aspect of combat should be completely ignored.

"A man is made up of his worst and darkest moments, and destroyed when he takes nothing from them..."
      -A quote from me

Stargate Frontier a new VS at http://www.stargateomega.com

Comment

I'd say the lack of military knowledge is because most fanfic writers weren't in the military, although i know of several who were, but since they're in the medical field, they concentrate on other aspects of fanfic. Most fans tend to write character pieces over battle sequences, as we do get a lot of gunplay, etc. in the show

Alas, can't think of any 'Tom Clancy' style stories...

Comment

While I am not saying the emotional aspect of the battle should be ignored, most fanfics tend to skip a battle sequence or writing the battle to be very stupid, telling us ridiculous reason for victory or defeat and totally ignoring military facts in real life.

Several people tend to write fanfics of SG-1 wrongly and believe every thing in the show to be correct, and don't know how to use military facts well, making the fanfic less exciting in battle scenes for people. Also, there are people who write 'rambo' characters in fanfic or writing main characters to be one, making very little sense. Moreover, most fanfic writers I heard are too much of a fanboy to take their stories seriously, and did not even bother to research on facts or cannon, and calling it to be part of cannon.

Several fanfics are what many considered to be 'Wanked' fic, where earth can be suddenly very strong in a time too short and deafeat anyone with ease or a fleet that have very unorganised supply and never have a promblem with logistic.

They often talk about making things big but never understand the promblems of maintaining such a large force.
          Logistic- the most important thing before any tactics can even be talk about, with enough supplys, there is no need to talk about war.
          Furthermore, many things done by the air force doesn't so very real including how they orgainse things.

I really all fanfics authors can really research on facts, political, medical or military fanfic, it can really improve the story, rather than simply believe they can create new facts or write around those like in future sci-fi like star trek. Stargate is set in modern day, at least get those right before talking about writing...

P.S. Mike3121, you are right about marines with red berets, they never wore those, and highly possible those are simply paratroopers with red berets led by a marine officer together with a few other marine units.

Comment

Mr Prophet is pretty good at the big battle stuff on occasion

ETA: what I meant is, when he's writing big battle stuff, it is pretty good. Not that sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't.
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ray245
              While I am not saying the emotional aspect of the battle should be ignored, most fanfics tend to skip a battle sequence or writing the battle to be very stupid, telling us ridiculous reason for victory or defeat and totally ignoring military facts in real life.
              I would have to say that READING fights/battles is not exactly thrilling. Well, not to all of us. Some folks love to read strategic stuff, but not everyone.

As for ignoring military facts, well, just watch the show. It's not exactly 100% either

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                As for ignoring military facts, well, just watch the show. It's not exactly 100% either
                I was hoping nobody would mention that!

A well-written battle is thrilling, but there aren't many fic writers who can do that. I read a lot of Sharpe & Hornblower and the battle scenes are real page-turners. But then, I'm a blood-thirsty little soul.

sigpic

Comment

Ah! Another Sharpe and Hornblower fan! . Squee!
                  Well, on topic, I dabble in fanfic myself, and I write what battle scenes there are to the best of my ability; however, I know I'm mostly ignorant of any type of battle that is on this side of the Napoleonic era, so I try to avoid battles and, if they're necessary, make them as short as possible.
                  I mean, really - researching is important, and I do it for my original fics excessively, but who has time slug through research in order to write a 300 word battle scene in a 20,000 word story? Myeh. I like my Tom Clancy too, but...ultimately, I'm just to busy to research military tactics properly, and I think many other people are as well.
                  Not to mention that stargate isn't necessarily...well, you know.

Banners by Luciana, Nici and myself.

Comment

If you want real military facts the Stargate doesn't exist. Just for you're information.
                    Lastest Episode: Alliances, Part One

Comment

is this where we all jump in shouting:

Plausible deniability!!!

As for me, I wish they'd just once in a while:

1) use correct radio procedure
                      2) have an ND* due to stupid weapon handling
                      3) make a point of wearing hats when it's cold

that's a fic that would make me send glowing feedback and recs for awards

if it had a well paced, well thought out battle scene in it too, I'd probably think I'd died and gone to heaven.

*negligent discharge

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                        is this where we all jump in shouting:

Plausible deniability!!!

As for me, I wish they'd just once in a while:

1) use correct radio procedure
                        2) have an ND* due to stupid weapon handling
                        3) make a point of wearing hats when it's cold

that's a fic that would make me send glowing feedback and recs for awards

if it had a well paced, well thought out battle scene in it too, I'd probably think I'd died and gone to heaven.

*negligent discharge
                        Hats! HATS?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck, real people don't wear hats when it's cold... on TV, 'hat hair' must be avoided at all costs, and I'm SURE that's why you don't see it.

Comment

*wonders in the mods would say anything if I attacked prion with The Spoon*

*glares*

sigpic

Comment

Hey, you surrendered your spoon priviledges voluntarily.

I do worry about my militaria since my soldierly beta most foully let me down for the flimsiest of reasons (something about two young daughters and family commitments), but I try to remember everything I learned from her. (So it's a weapon, not a gun).
                            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Not being a mod doesn't interfere with my Spoon Weilding abilities/rights at all - I had them waaaay before I was a mod. In fact, now it's more unfettered than ever!

ha!

As I recall your beta tendered a tearstained and crumpled resignation and sat on it for at least a month before handing it over...

*hands over medal for the Weapon/Gun Lesson Learned*

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X