This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fems View Post
    As for the Minor Lord, isn't it possible that he used to be in the service of Ra? I won't claim to have watched the original movie, so I don't know if Ra used under lords or not. But we know from Jolinar's Memories that
    Couldn't that work for SaraBahamas' fic? That after Ra was killed, her Minor Lord decided to keep the planet he'd already been ruling. After all, what's one planet in an entire domain?
    As for the speed… we know from Lost City that it takes two days to reach Praclarush in a teltak with hyperspeed . Not sure if that’s of any help, but figured I’d mention it anyway.
    I appreciate the thought, fems...I don't really want him to be in service to Ra (and I acknowledge that this device has canon background -nice example with Bynar). I want him to be an independent lord of a backwater system (oh -maybe 5 useful planets). Not enough that he is a player in the grand scheme. He rose to power between 100 and 500 AD, and aquired a queen shortly thereafter, transporting slaves to his system (still working out the timing). My main concern was that I not have to schedule the exodus over years or decades of travel, and that he is off the radar of more powerful system lords. One of the planets has a gate, but by the time my goa'uld is removing slaves, the Giza gate is buried and the Antartic gate is encased in ice.

Everyone seems to have given a general idea of travel in these vessels (and I know we are all discussing something that resides outside of current technology facts, so I'm flexible).

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    Oh, and on Sara's fic: no, that wouldn't work either, I don't think. It's a timeline thing. I could be wrong, and if I am, she'll correct that. In any case, not to worry: I'm sure there are plenty of worlds in the Gateverse ruled by minor System Lords that are off the beaten path, but not so far off it that they can't make for a good story.
    Thanks SF -and thanks for pondering the math on the lightspeed. In my head I think I'm going to place it somewhere between Machello's world and Cal Mah (on that map). If any other possible problems that I haven't thought of blip the radar, let me know (like this is another major lord's territory).

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
    Not as wrong as the anatomy of a character i've just drawn! *head to table* GAH!
    Ugh, Fic Help? Well at the moment i've got the creativness (working on another 'idea' sure) just not the motivation. Or focus. (ie: ideas for other projects just don't seem to be working out).
    Can anyone help? Any advice?
    How WRONG can the anatomy be? <:-/ *see my comment with Sealurk's below*:

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
    Try working on something very different - the change of gears can sometimes help to kind of 'kick start' the engine, as it were.
    This works well much of the time -a cousin who is a visual artist told me that if she has a paying piece to work on, but is motivated to work on a hobby piece, if she tries to 'be good' and work on the paying piece, she never gets anything accomplished. If she goes with the inspiration and works on the hobby piece, she normally comes back to the paying piece refreshed and inspired to go. Hope that helps...
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

^ it happens. You insert refrences and *sigh* you seem to be the ONLY person who knows their there!
      Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
      Been there. No one knew who Solomon Grundy was in one of my fics.
      I'm glad I'm not the only one! Thanks!

Not as wrong as the anatomy of a character i've just drawn! *head to table* GAH!

Ugh, Fic Help? Well at the moment i've got the creativness (working on another 'idea' sure) just not the motivation. Or focus. (ie: ideas for other projects just don't seem to be working out).

Be careful before following Sealurk's advice. I got seriously stuck six months ago and just decided to stop writing. Backed up all my stories onto a flashdrive and put it in a locked drawer. Deleted every story from my hard drives. I took out some math books and did problems. It took about a month and then suddenly the urge came back.
      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

MP is probably right. As with nearly everything to do with writing, it's a case of different strokes for different folks. The key is to experiment and find what works for you, Choo.
        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
        sigpic
        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I'm sorry Sealurk. My first sentence was aimed at your fine print, not the advice. The advice is excellent. The fine print is delightful!
          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Yes...his fine print made me inhale a large portion of my Pepsi when I snorted in laughter...
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

go for a walk. That's what I do to clear my mind

jsut relax and take a bit of a walk and let your brain muddle it out
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Fems, SP....your discussion might be better served as a private message to each other.

sigpic

Comment

Disclaimer: This advice does not come from a professional. Sealurk cannot be held responsible for loss of creativity, motivation, organs, limbs, blood, lifeforce, memory or finances. All procedures are carried out at the victim's patient's own risk.
                  Sound like a fic I wrote: The establishment is not responsible for lost items including virginity or the realization of who you just slept with. Please keep limbs and underwear inside cart at all times.
                  Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

shouldn't that be 'please keep all body parts inside your underwear at all times?'

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      shouldn't that be 'please keep all body parts inside your underwear at all times?'
                      No.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                        How WRONG can the anatomy be? <:-/ *see my comment with Sealurk's below*:
                        Head too small, didn't foreshorten the arms and the chest was/is miss sized. And i only realised when i started INKING the pencils. *sigh* S**t happens, and its just a simple case of 'starting over', but having worked (on/off) on this page for a while now, and delaying updates for my fic it just got a little 'ugh'

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        go for a walk. That's what I do to clear my mind

jsut relax and take a bit of a walk and let your brain muddle it out
                        Well that late at night, i took it as a sign that i needed SLEEP. Sleep is good!

On the plus side i did think of an interesting 'face off' scenerio (i'm a guy. Gun Fu & explosions = Good!)

Spoiler:
                        Aaron Frost: I forgot to mention, they know how to accessorize!

MP is probably right. As with nearly everything to do with writing, it's a case of different strokes for different folks. The key is to experiment and find what works for you, Choo.
                        Thanks for the advice ladies (and Sealurk) i'm getting there. Just got to stick a few ideas into 'drive' (like ... university maybe? )
                        Last edited by Choo1701; 16 July 2011, 02:24 AM.
                        [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Lost a bit of my mojo on my trip. Being so busy with basic day-to-day living and helping others for 18 hours a day, sleeping only about 4 hours a night really hurt my muse. Then when the hard drives crashed on BOTH laptops at the same time, a thousand miles from home (and techie hubby), I became quite discouraged.

I have been home now nearly 2 weeks & my brain is finally clearing, but I am having difficulty still as the programs I'm using for writing are new to me. I CAN write longhand if need be, but my thoughts often out-race my typing (which is quite fast, if I do say so myself), let alone my longhand. Hubby is re-installing Office this week-end while we are away getting the teen settled in his boot camp (voluntary for Naval Sea Cadet/ROTC training, not because he's being unmanageable).

Next week sees me with 1 child in boot camp, the other in karate day camp, both for the next 2 weeks. I am hoping my muse will peek her little head out from beneath the covers at that point. I haven't posted to ITB in over a month. I hate that feeling of having no creative spark. Good luck, Choo!
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

^Whytewytch: YIKES! ...and good luck!
                            sigpic
                            sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Oh! forgot to say:

Still having issues describing action sequences, and not letting my romance turn harlequin. GAH!
                              sigpic
                              sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                                Oh! forgot to say:

Still having issues describing action sequences, and not letting my romance turn harlequin. GAH!
                                Sounds like a need for a beta. Or a pm discussion with someone.

Comment

Working...
                                X