Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again, BruTak. I guess superpowers are the way to go!
    Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

You're more than welcome.

Now, a question of my own - I'm looking for information on any military units (preferably from the late 18th/early 19th century) that have inexplicably gone missing, never to be seen or heard from again.

I've tried Google and Wikipedia, but I keep getting redirected to a film called "The Lost Regiment", or a series of sci-fi books of the same name (which actually sound pretty interesting).

Ideally, it'd be a mixed detachment of riflemen from the 95th Rifles and a sprinkling of Highlanders from the Black Watch and/or Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
        Now, a question of my own - I'm looking for information on any military units (preferably from the late 18th/early 19th century) that have inexplicably gone missing, never to be seen or heard from again.
        The only one I'm aware of is the squadron that disappeared in the so-called Bermuda Triangle. Explanation here. Later than you're looking for, though.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Yeah, not quite what I'm looking for.

Oh well, if I can't find anything to suit, I suppose I'll just Make Stuff Up.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Could I just confirm that US Armed Forces military assignments change every couple of years? Or are there situations in which people actually stay something like 10-20 years in one post?
            Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
              Could I just confirm that US Armed Forces military assignments change every couple of years? Or are there situations in which people actually stay something like 10-20 years in one post?
              My own personal experience with several branches of the military have never seen postings last more than 4-5 years (and those were LONG postings). I suppose it's possible though, if your posting were say, the Pentagon, and you were ranked high enough that you might stay somewhere longer than that.
              Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
                Depends on the job, too. My hubby was posted at the same base for 3 1/2 years and would've been MUCH longer if he hadn't finished his enlistment. He was a lab tech.
                sigpic
                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Generally speaking, they do change often, and an unwillingness to change assignments can affect one's ability to be promoted. That said, an assignment to some crucial command like Area 51, the Pentagon, or the SGC would most likely be exempt from this.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                  sigpic
                  now also appearing on DeviantArt
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Continuing this theme, is there such a thing as an automatic advancement in grade once one goes to a new assignment?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                      Continuing this theme, is there such a thing as an automatic advancement in grade once one goes to a new assignment?
                      Are you talking grade as in enlisted or like pay grade, or something else completely? Personally I've found this site to be very informative about such things.

~

On a completely unrelated note; does anyone know if it's ever been mentioned if Prometheus (or the later ships) have something akin to a black box/flight recorder?
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                        On a completely unrelated note; does anyone know if it's ever been mentioned if Prometheus (or the later ships) have something akin to a black box/flight recorder?
                        The Odyssey definitely had a flight recorder - it even featured as a plot point in a Lucian Alliance episode (season 10, "Company of Thieves"?), so it's a very good bet that Prometheus and the rest of the fleet did too.
                        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Whytewytch, SF_and_Coffee, thanks!
                          Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Was there ever an official system established for the letter and numeral designations of planets in Stargate?

P3X-984 being the original Alpha Site as I recall.
                            sigpic

Comment

None they shared with the viewers, just that it was based on the extrapolation program (Broca Divide).
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                                None they shared with the viewers, just that it was based on the extrapolation program (Broca Divide).
                                Fair enough. Thanks.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X