X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
    Ok here's a quick question for you all.
    As you know I'm in the planning stages of a crossover fic. And I need some input from you lovely Ladies and Gentlemen out there.

Do I transport the team in the fic in a C130 Hercules or a CV22/MV22/AV22 Osprey?

As in the fic I plan to have whatever aircraft they are in crash.
    Up to you, C130s are more common. But the CV22 Osprey has only just entered regular service.

Plus of course, you can't fit a Humvee in the back of an Osprey. Well, you could, but you wouldn't be able to open the doors.

Helpful?
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
      Oh, jeez. I know it might technically be correct, but it just looks (and sounds, to my inner ear) like a snake pit. I'd probably try to avoid it by using some term other than "boss". Supervisor, perhaps, so you could use supervisor's?
      Supervisor doesn't have quite the nuance I want to portray, but I agree that boss's is simply too sibilant. To me boss' doesn't look right. It is a problem.
      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Manager? Superior? Bossman? (Or bosswoman?) Maybe even the person's name or a nickname the POV character uses for or privately thinks of as pertaining to the boss?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

How about gaffer?

I used to work in a computer factory, and we informally referred to the supervisors and managers as gaffers (when we weren't roundly cursing their names and calling them naughty words).
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Bossman might work.

Thanks for the suggestions.
            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
              Up to you, C130s are more common. But the CV22 Osprey has only just entered regular service.

Plus of course, you can't fit a Humvee in the back of an Osprey. Well, you could, but you wouldn't be able to open the doors.

Helpful?
              I've chosen a C130. And the team will be rescued by a CV-22. And I didn't plan to use a Humvee. But the fic is still in the planning stages so things still may change.
              "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
              Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
              Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
              Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
              I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
              To thy own self... Be true
              May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                I've chosen a C130. And the team will be rescued by a CV-22. And I didn't plan to use a Humvee. But the fic is still in the planning stages so things still may change.
                Well, there's these things called Fast Attack Vehicles, which are basically militarized dune buggies.
                And there's also a vehicle called a Growler which was designed specifically to fit in the back of an Osprey.

Any help you need with weapons and/or terminology, let me know. I'll do my best to help.
                sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the offer BruTak. But I am OK with weapons. I have a sizeable reasearch library of books. Including a copy of 'Jane's' Handguns.
                  "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                  Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                  Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                  Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                  I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                  To thy own self... Be true
                  May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Quick question: are there regular doctors working at the AF Academy Hospital, or is it only military personnel? I didn't get the impression the few personnel we've seen from there were military and most wore regular doctor's outfits (unlike Janet Fraiser's AF outfit under her white coat), but I'm not sure if that was just an oversight from TPTB or realistic. I figured both options are possible considering several doctors at the SGC were civilians as well (like Dr Lam).
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I would imagine it'd be a bit of both.

There are new medical techniques being developed all the time.

Doctor Lam was a civvie, yes. But presumably she had a high enough security clearance to allow her to work at the SGC.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Does anyone know about the layers of security at Area 51? Has there ever been infiltration and/or break-ins? I just wanted to know the plausibility of it happening.

In my research, I read something about Red Cell having done so, but as with top-secret military facilities, who would really know if this has happened?
                          Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Difficult to say.

On the one hand, officially it's just a regular USAF base.
                            On the other hand, unofficially, they allegedly do ultra sneaky secret squirrel stuff for the CIA.

Wikipedia has this to say on the subject of Area 51's security - "Unlike much of the Nellis range, the area surrounding the lake is permanently off-limits both to civilian and normal military air traffic. Radar stations protect the area, and unauthorized personnel are quickly expelled. Even military pilots training in the NAFR risk disciplinary action if they stray into the exclusionary "box" surrounding Groom's airspace.
                            Area 51 border and warning sign stating that "photography is prohibited" and that "use of deadly force is authorized" under the terms of the 1950 McCarran Internal Security Act. A government vehicle is parked on the hilltop; from there, security agents observe the approach to Groom Lake.
                            Perimeter security is provided by uniformed private security guards working for EG&G's security subcontractor Wackenhut, who patrol in Humvees, SUVs, and pickup trucks. The guards are armed with M16s, but no violent encounters with Area 51 observers have been reported; instead, the guards generally follow visitors near the perimeter and radio for the Lincoln County Sheriff. Deadly force is authorized if violators who attempt to breach the secured area fail to heed warnings to halt. Fines of around $600 seem to be the normal course of action, although some visitors and journalists report receiving follow-up visits from FBI agents. Some observers have been detained on public land for pointing camera equipment at the base. Surveillance is supplemented using buried motion sensors."

Helpful?
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the head-ups on the security, BruTak.

So does that mean it's pretty much impenetrable? Even (non-military) people with McGuyver-ish skills or Sam Carter's brains can't physically get past the security barriers if they tried?
                              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Carter would be able to get past security without any difficulty because, as a senior officer with the Stargate Program, she would have a sufficiently high security clearance.

But I daresay someone uber sneaky - ninjas like Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow for example - would probably be able to get in.

Getting out again though, that's another matter entirely...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X