Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are scripts equivalent to plays? Some plays do not have directions besides "enter" and "exit", especially ancient ones, where stage directions have been added - mostly - by modern editors.

I find it difficult to read a script also.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Sometimes though, script style can be quite effective.

Using it to illustrate a cop questioning a suspect for example.
      What? I don't see how this is more effective than actual dialogue and description of body language etc. That gives you a hell of a lot more insight into the interrogation than mere dialogue lines without any inflection etc.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

What I meant was someone else was reading it after the fact.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

A script and a transcript are not the same thing (mostly due to format). Yes, a transcript can be effective for relating interrogations, but that's due in part because of the way it presents itself to the eye.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

What I meant was someone else was reading it after the fact.
            I think you mean a transcript of an interrogation presented to someone who wasn't actually present, but this is done in the context of a story that's otherwise written normally rather than as a script, right?

If so, that isn't even remotely the same thing as writing a story in script style.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I've got a question for you all. Well, maybe not everyone but to those who are familiar with (fic) ratings and romance/sex. Normally I write mature fics so I don't really have to mind my words be that in sexual terms, violence or language. But my current fic is T-rated and this is what it says on FFnet:

T - Contains content not suitable for children. Suitable for teens, 13 years and older, with some violence, minor coarse language, and minor suggestive adult themes.

The next rating is M, which should have content suitable for mature teens and older. Not suitable for children or teens below the age of 16 with possible strong but non-explicit adult themes, references to violence, and strong coarse language.

Another archive I post on has an R-rating instead of T.

Anyway, I'm not sure what is and is not acceptable for T-rated fics when it comes to romance or sex. Obviously I can't have graphic sexual stuff but at the same time is "minor suggestive adult theme" rather vague. Someone said I should probably stick to kissing and heavy petting to be on the safe side (although I'm not entirely sure if there's a difference between heavy petting and groping for example), but also said I was probably already close to pushing it with the make-out session I'd written. In my opinion it was pretty tame, just some kissing, tongue and the mention of a hand on his inner thigh (and her nails digging into the denim of his jeans).

I think the problem is that we all know what 13+ year olds are capable of these days and how familiar they are with fooling around and sex. This is pretty clear with all the reports of sexual active kids (13-15 year olds), mostly in the US and UK and at the same time television and ratings like these are very tame there (especially the US). Not to mention the high rates of teen pregnancy there... But you know, you see one boob or have a "nipplegate" and all hell breaks loose. Considering some of the reactions of foreigners who watch TV in my country ("oh my god, there are naked people in your shaving/shower gel/body lotion commercial!" etc) I think ratings are probably a bit less strict here, hence my confusion.

So in short, how much heavy petting/groping and descriptive language do you think is allowed in a T-rated fic?

Never mind, finished the fic weeks ago.
              Last edited by fems; 18 June 2012, 01:20 PM.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Hi guys, I was wondering if I could get some help with my Stargate Atlantis fic. I am trying to plot a scientific solution to a plot line but need some people who understand the in-universe science mumbo-jumbo that I'm coming up with.

I have two plot lines. The story is set just after The Return. In my story one of the Asurans had rid himself of his corporal body and downloaded himself into the Ancient mainframe with the sole purpose of destroying Atlantis from the inside out.

I have decided that the Ancient mainframe is protected from the disruptor field that the team use so they need another way to kill the asuran. I thought Sam Carter could help McKay to convert the disruptor field technology into an anti-virus that could be uploaded into the mainframe. I know that the disruptor technology stops the nanites from communicating with each other so I just need to know if this is feasible.

Also I'm not familar with SG-1 season 10 so does anyone know where Carter would be around the Tao of Rodney episode and what she would be doing? Thanks for any help you could give me.
                My In-Progress SGA - Team Fic with Added Shep Whump
                http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3802826/...ly_b_bEffect_b
                When Sheppard develops some mysterious powers the Atlantis team is faced with a difficult choice: To save the city or to save their Colonel...

Comment

You could say that while the anti-virus/counter-measure is inspired by the disruptor technology, it is nevertheless a wholly new virtual construct that is merely similar in principle to the disruptor tech in that it is intended to permanently break and rewrite the code links between clusters of Asuran programming dispersed over the Atlantis mainframe, rendering much of it inert enough for conventional security software to mop it up. Or, you know, something...

As for Carter and the Tao of Rodney... if you want to go by air dates for rough guesses of when Stargate events happen in their own timeline (hardly an ideal answer, but often useful), the corresponding SG-1 episode for that time frame seems to be The Shroud, i.e. Prior Daniel steals the Odyssey, gives it a cloak and plans to kill the Ori with the Sangraal. Precisely where Carter is during all of this I cannot recall, but I hope that helps.
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi...! You're my only hope.

Sorry I just couldn't resist...
                    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                    To thy own self... Be true
                    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                      Help me Obi Wan Kenobi...! You're my only hope.

Sorry I just couldn't resist...
                      Oy vay!
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Does anyone know anything about Alcoholics Anonymous?

I just kind of need the broad strokes. A character I'm writing is a recovering alcoholic.

If you don't feel comfortable sharing on the forum, PM me.
                        sigpic
                        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Does anyone know anything about Alcoholics Anonymous?

I just kind of need the broad strokes. A character I'm writing is a recovering alcoholic.

If you don't feel comfortable sharing on the forum, PM me.
                          I've got some experience with Narcotics Anonymous - unfortunately not the kind you might find helpful. I went as support for a friend when he had to go on a court order. I understand the two organizations work similarly. It was a very humbling experience. Interesting note: it doesn't matter why you're there, you have to introduce yourself when they go around the room. Another interesting note: I wasn't the only one there who wasn't an addict - there were several of us there to support loved ones.

I'd be happy to try answer any questions you've got if you don't find a more knowledgeable resource.
                          Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Anyone know any Irish Gaelic?

I'm after some terms of endearment.
                            sigpic

Comment

I had to learn a bit for one of my fics and I had notes, but they went away when my hard drive crashed. My Irish character called her husband, Mo Croi, which means "My heart". Also, check out this website; use the CTRL F to find phrases to do with "love" or "heart". Down about May 2011, is "Tá grá agam duit" which means "I love you". Hope that helps!
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

It'll do for a start, thanks.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X