This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
    My google chrome says the link doesn't work. I know I've cannibalized several onomastkons for my own personal use, though.
    Works fine in the Chrome loaded on my laptop...

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
    That was not a bad site, but I noticed some things missing. I do like how it's divied up by male/female/surnames and also by country. Usually, I just Google the nationality + names and that tends to work pretty well.
    What I like about this site is that it isn't just modern names, but rather it uses historical names.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

All this talk of names...
      It got me searching for my Dictionary of First Names.
      Which is now near my PC.
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I got a dictionary of baby names from a charity shop and a dictionary of British surnames from a bookshop. Both have been invaluable, but the film credits thing is always a lifesaver.
        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
        sigpic
        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
          Works fine in the Chrome loaded on my laptop...
          I can try it again. I wanted to know it it screwed up for anyone else that way.
          Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Doesn't work for me either, tried it earlier today and now that I'm home (different computers) and GC said it didn't work both times.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

That's completely weird, because it works for me in all three browsers that I have (Firefox, Chrome and IE).

Try this?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
              sigpic
              now also appearing on DeviantArt
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

That one works.
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                  A ghost writer is someone who does the work for you while you get the credit.

Seaboe
                  Ohhh I definatly like that idea better then the other one.
                  I like Sharky
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                    Ohhh I definatly like that idea better then the other one.
                    Unfortunately, the ghost writer gets money. You'd just get publicity.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I'm reading a copy of my latest fic that has been edited and returned by a beta, and I've run into a bit of an issue.

The bulk of my knowledge regarding proper English comes from just reading a lot and slowly developing a sense of what is correct or incorrect rather than from formal education. Admittedly, this isn't ideal for a writer and has led to me being a little ignorant of some rules and developing a few bad habits.

The problem is that with this edited fic, I'm having a little difficulty picking apart what is genuinely grammatically incorrect and what is simply personal style or preference. For example, I've always started dialogue in a new paragraph:

O'Neill leaned forward and cleared his throat.

"I've always thought there was something wrong with that."
                      ...whereas the beta repeatedly corrects it to:

O'Neill leaned forward and cleared his throat. "I've always thought there was something wrong with that."
                      Is either one of us actually incorrect or is it just a matter of personal preference?
                      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I actually don't know if there are rules about that, but there certainly should be I also prefer your beta's suggestion. It keeps it clearer who's saying/thinking what if you keep it together in one paragraph. It also makes it easier to follow when you have two/more people of the same sex and you use he/she instead of continuously using their names, if you know what I mean. Plus it prevents about every line being in its own paragraph.

I think it's comparable to the following:

O'Neill said (as he leaned forward and cleared his throat).
                        vs.

"I've always thought there was something wrong with that," O'Neill said (as he leaned forward and cleared his throat).
                        Or do you use the former as well in your writing?
                        On FFnet or AO3

Comment

No, I use the latter. I've always put dialogue on a new paragraph, never starting in the middle of an existing one, but if there is following text that is attached to that dialogue, it stays on the same paragraph, exactly like your second example.

It doesn't always help that English is flexible enough to accommodate a considerable degree of personal preference, but in other areas there are rather inflexible rules, making it harder to determine whether any given text is correct or not.
                          sigpic

Comment

Then would you write the following?

"Ah yes..." O'Neill leaned forward and cleared his throat.

Because I always find such things very confusing since I interpret it as someone else saying something if it's on a new paragraph (unless it's continued dialogue from the previous paragraph that hadn't been closed with quotation marks).

I would write:

"Ah yes..." O'Neill leaned forward and cleared his throat. "I've always thought there was something wrong with that."

It doesn't help that when 'publishing' fic online it's easier to have more paragraphs or at least white/spaces because that reads better on a screen.
                            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

I learned that when you switch to a new speaker you start a new paragraph. So, even if a speaker speaks after the first sentence, it stays in that paragraph.

My source.
                              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Fems: I would write the second example (can't seem to quote the quoted text at the moment). I start new dialogue on a new paragraph, but I don't break it into separate paragraphs just because there is a line of non-dialogue in the middle, as long as it remains the same speaker.

Like Mathpiglet said, I was always taught new speaker, new paragraph. However, reading that source, I'm still possibly in the wrong as the following would appear to be correct.

O'Neill leaned forward and cleared his throat. "I've always thought there was something wrong with that."
                                For some reason, I've always seen this as looking clumsy and wrong, but apparently not. I must just be reading the wrong sort of books!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X