This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
    How heavy is uranium? Can a grown man pick up a brick?

How large is a brick? Are we talking size like a brick for building houses? I remember that lead bricks (used for building small protective walls around experimental setups at the university, for instance), are a bit shorter than building-bricks, but a good deal higher. And they are heavy enough that you think they are glued to the table when trying to pick them up, but you can if you pull yourself together And lead is much less heavy than uranium.

Never mind, I will go from the size of a standard building brick (Sweden), which is 10 × 4¾ × 2½ in or 250 × 120 × 62 mm, and then calculate the weight if it was made of uranium:

Volume = 118¾ in^3 = 186000 mm^3 = 1860 cm^3

Density of Uranium at room temperature = 19.1 g/cm^3

So, weight of a brick of Uranium = 35526 g = 35.5 kg = 78.32 pounds

So, pretty heavy. Can be picked up, but not with one hand.

And naquadah is supposed to be much much heavier - it is a superheavy element, located somewhere much higher in the table of elements/periodic table (or whatever that is called in English) than any currently known elements.

In the episode "Upgrades", I think we see two Jaffa carry one small block of naquadah, with difficulty?
    sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
      In the episode "Upgrades", I think we see two Jaffa carry one small block of naquadah, with difficulty?
      this is what I meant. If it doesn't take the equivalent to lift a brick of uranium (same dimensions), it's naqadah is heavier.
      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
        this is what I meant. If it doesn't take the equivalent to lift a brick of uranium (same dimensions), it's naqadah is heavier.
        Most definitely. Naquadah is much MUCH heavier than uranium.
        sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
          How large is a brick? Are we talking size like a brick for building houses? I remember that lead bricks (used for building small protective walls around experimental setups at the university, for instance), are a bit shorter than building-bricks, but a good deal higher. And they are heavy enough that you think they are glued to the table when trying to pick them up, but you can if you pull yourself together And lead is much less heavy than uranium.

Never mind, I will go from the size of a standard building brick (Sweden), which is 10 × 4¾ × 2½ in or 250 × 120 × 62 mm, and then calculate the weight if it was made of uranium:

Volume = 118¾ in^3 = 186000 mm^3 = 1860 cm^3

Density of Uranium at room temperature = 19.1 g/cm^3

So, weight of a brick of Uranium = 35526 g = 35.5 kg = 78.32 pounds

So, pretty heavy. Can be picked up, but not with one hand.

And naquadah is supposed to be much much heavier - it is a superheavy element, located somewhere much higher in the table of elements/periodic table (or whatever that is called in English) than any currently known elements.

Holy cow! I don't understand a word of the math, but that's awesome! Thanks, everyone! And Hathor, that's cool info about the building bricks in Sweden--my grampa was born there and was a carpenter.
          sigpic
          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

We do know the weight of a Stargate, and its approximate dimensions:

Outer diameter: 20 ft = 6.096 m
            Inner diameter about: 13-14 ft = 3.9624-4.2672m
            Thickness of gate (from side) about: 2 ft = 0.6096 m
            Weight: 64,000 lb = 29,090.9 kg = 29090900 g

That gives a Stargate volume of approximately:

(thickness*pi*outer_radius^2) - (thickness*pi*inner_radius^2) = 342.0409 ft^3

Which is approximately: 9.6855 m^3 = 9685510 cm^3

So, density of Stargate is: 187.1121 lb/ft^3 (= 3.00355 g/cm^3)

Way too little, compared to the 11.34 g/cm^3 for lead, or 19.1 g/cm^3 for uranium, above, so I am guessing either

1) the Stargate is not made of 100% naquadah
            2) the writers screwed up when giving a number, feeling 64000 lb was an enormous amount
            3) My guestimates for its dimensions were wrong
            sigpic

Comment

Going into complete guess-mode...

1) Assuming an "average" human can lift 150 pounds...

2) Assuming an average Jaffa is twice as strong, two Jaffa should at least be able to carry 300 pounds (136.4 kg = 136400 g) for a distance.

3) Assuming a brick of naquadah has about the same dimensions as the above uranium brick (118¾ in^3 = 186000 mm^3 = 1860 cm^3)

This gives the density of naquadah about:

136400 g/1860 cm^3 = 73.33 g/cm^3

A reasonable weight for a Stargate made of pure naquadah, for dimensions close to my guesses, would be (Volume = 9685510 cm^3):

73.33 g/cm^3 * 9685510 cm^3 = 710270733.33 g = 710270.73 kg = 1,562,595.6 pounds

Totally guestimating!
              sigpic

Comment

Hathor, you're making me laugh! "Totally guesstimating" indeed!
                sigpic
                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

*swoons at all the lovely math*
                  Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Hi mp! **waves**
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                      *swoons at all the lovely math*
                      Yeah. math makes me dizzy to.
                      I like Sharky
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                        Yeah. math makes me dizzy to.
                        It makes my head spin, too, unless there's dollar signs in front of it. Hubby says I could find a route to the next galaxy if they put dollar signs in front of all the lovely numbers.
                        sigpic

Comment

Maths was never a good subject for me...
                          Even though I enjoyed it.
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Depended on the math for me. Failed Algebra 1 (well, that was because I was doing everything except paying attention in class). Aced Algebra 1 in summer school, Algebra II & Geometry. Now, Calculus in college was another matter entirely...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                              It makes my head spin, too, unless there's dollar signs in front of it. Hubby says I could find a route to the next galaxy if they put dollar signs in front of all the lovely numbers.
                              $ signs make my head spin too but for a complettly diff reason then math....too bad it dont' happen that often.
                              I like Sharky
                              sigpic

Comment

Hathor girl...your notes above make me think of Sam writing on a dry erase board...

...and my face would have the same puzzled, slightly vacant expression it had when I tried to follow the math.

*also waves at mathpiglet* -sorry teach...mine 'twere a BA degree...

I don't "do" the math...though I wish I could. ;P
                                sigpic
                                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X