This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    I think she's referring to sam an jack always and forever..maybe sam and jack.net

Good if your fic focuses on them. Not applicable if its about someone else.
    Thanks, sky! Unfortunately, not into them at the moment--more of an SGA girl with no real ship preference (there are some I DON'T like, though! )
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
      Ahh, thank you. I had no idea. Although that still requires re-editing the chapter docs and the master document, but I'm sure it'll come in handy.
      Well, once you've made your edits at FF.net, you can download the chapter(s) and preserve them as Word docs, and you can cut & paste from there into whatever master document you have on your computer. That's what I've done.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

True, but sometimes the edits are so minor it's easier to manually change them. But I'll definitely look into it for my future fics, since I already have some changes in my master document that aren't in the separate chapter docs or online (and vice versa, I'm afraid) because I was too lazy to change it all at once. And with so many chapters it's a lot of work to use the Word compare function too.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Oh, I agree, because I have the same problem sometimes. ATWLB is up to over 172k words already and 38 chapters, in the version on FF.net. Considering that I also have it hosted on my own website and two other archives, it can be a lot to keep track of.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Yep, lots and lots of work. Especially if it's just one typo you want to fix... Oh, by the way, have you compared your downloaded version to your original doc for word count? FFnet usually adds a couple of words to the Word word count, I have no idea why (perhaps the scene breakers and paragraphs count as extra 'words' or something), but I was just wondering if that's still normal even if you download your version from FFnet.
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

You know, I haven't actually done that comparison. I do know that my word count is different from FF.net to AO3 to Symbiotica, although I chalk some of that up to the differing use of notes and other inconsequentialities between these archives. I have no idea how closely any of them compare in word count to the actual Word doc on my computer, however, as I haven't checked.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                Actually, you can go into the story manager and do an Export of whatever already-published chapter you need to change. That will bring the chapter, along with all of its FF.net-specific formatting, back into the Editing utility, where you can then insert, delete or otherwise edit whatever you need to in the document. When you finish doing that, simply do a Replace in the story manager to replace the originally-published version of that chapter with the new one. Easy-peasy!
                *scribbles that note down for future use*

Thanks SF -I had no idea!
                sigpic
                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                  Fly--glad you got help.
                  Yes. People have been telling me to do that for years.. what what? Oh yes. I did finally figure out the dl'ing bit. I would swear that every time I went back it seemed to have some new bit to do that wasn't there before.
                  Now to just be able to get around to writing the other odd 90 chapters or so.....I am going back under the bed.
                  I like Sharky
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                    *looks around at her own stacks of boxes, both packed and unpacked*

Hmmm.....

If we both build forts, we can throw wads of wrapping paper at each other. It'll be like a snowball fight, minus the freezing weather.
                    Sweet, sounds like a plan to me! And then afterwards we can go around a TP a few houses... that way it won't go to waste and no one will feel left out - hehe
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Comment

I could really use help with this over pms, but asking for this seemed to best fit here. I need help writing summaries, especiall for WTF.
                      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I haven't read your stories, but what is the problem you encounter with writing summaries? Are they too long, too short, inaccurate, not catchy enough...?
                        On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          I haven't read your stories, but what is the problem you encounter with writing summaries? Are they too long, too short, inaccurate, not catchy enough...?
                          Too short and I doubt they are catchy enough. I either put too much or too little and fanfics give you so little space to sum things up, I tend to go with the shorter version.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Is naquadria supposed to be heavier (yup, I'm talking weight, not mass) than uranium?
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                              Is naquadria supposed to be heavier (yup, I'm talking weight, not mass) than uranium?
                              How heavy is uranium? Can a grown man pick up a brick?

Comment

Well, I found this, which says that one pound (~450 grammes) of uranium would make a sphere only 1.3 inches (~3.3 cm) in diameter. So in other words, uranium is heavy, but a well-built person could probably pick up an average size brick of it without too much difficulty.
                                My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Working...
                                X