X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all.
    I've been thinking.

Would a SG-1/Wonder Woman crossover work ?
    It's just an idea I had after watching the DC animated 'Origin' DVD.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

More technical questions, if anyone 'knows' or (if there is no canon) will speculate from what we do 'know':

1) Goa'uld queens are asexual (I think I remember this is canon) -question: does that mean that the offspring have only the genetic memory of the 'mother'. Additional question: why does a system lord take on a queen if it has no biological imperative for himself? Just as a sorce of prim'ta (sp?) for his Jaffa army?

2) Jack O'Neill was host to Kanan -Question: wouldn't that mean he would be left with traces of naquadah in his blood and could sense other Goa'uld just like Sam & Cassie Frasier do? It's not just the protien marker from Jolinar's absorption, because Cassie has no marker. If he could 'feel' it...would the effects be long term or short term?

Thanks!!
      sigpic
      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
        More technical questions, if anyone 'knows' or (if there is no canon) will speculate from what we do 'know':

1) Goa'uld queens are asexual (I think I remember this is canon) -question: does that mean that the offspring have only the genetic memory of the 'mother'. Additional question: why does a system lord take on a queen if it has no biological imperative for himself? Just as a sorce of prim'ta (sp?) for his Jaffa army?
        Goa'uld queens can reproduce sexually or asexually. Goa'uld offspring would carry the genetic memory of whichever parent or parents contributed genetically to that particular offspring's genetic makeup.

2) Jack O'Neill was host to Kanan -Question: wouldn't that mean he would be left with traces of naquadah in his blood and could sense other Goa'uld just like Sam & Cassie Frasier do? It's not just the protien marker from Jolinar's absorption, because Cassie has no marker. If he could 'feel' it...would the effects be long term or short term?
        One would think that anyone who had been host to a symbiote would have the ability to sense other symbiotes, if it's the naquadah that causes this. However, the show's writers were notoriously inconsistent on any number of things, and this is one of the prime examples of that.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

And now for a question of my own:

Is anyone aware of there being an actual Goa'uld/Tok'ra/Jaffa word for "death glider"? I mean, the other types of ships had names in that language, so there certainly ought to be a name for the gliders. Other than "udajeet" for the open-cockpit type used on Abydos, I haven't found a reference, and I need a name for the normal, closed-cockpit ones. If there isn't one, I'll invent a name, but if there's a canon name, or a commonly-accepted name in fanon, I'd prefer to use what exists.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
            Hi all.
            I've been thinking.

Would a SG-1/Wonder Woman crossover work ?
            It's just an idea I had after watching the DC animated 'Origin' DVD.
            *shakes the writers Magic 8 ball that i picked up at the liquidation sale*

"Why didn't WE think of that!?!" ... Wha? - I'd take that as a yes.

Although technically a 'secret all female tribe' of Jaffa turn up in Season 7/8 (Birthright), so maybe you could spring board off of that idea/episode??
            [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Oy… I’m not sure you want my very long explanation for this one, but it’s something I’ve encountered too for one of my fics. I have worked my theory into chapter 38 of Lost and in response to a review on Always&Forever, I gave the following explanation.

Review:
              Goa'uld are asexual but they appear to show preferences toward male or female, and we saw in the Hathor episodes that she required a human DNA donation to make the offspring compatible with their intended hosts.

Explanation:
              Yes, I know but asexual usually means not having sex organs. I know they have a preference towards male or female, although most hosts are male and those that do inhabit a female host are still referring to themselves as male (Osiris) or are Queens(Hathor).

I am aware of the fact that Hathor needed the DNA to ensure compatibility with the intended hosts (and maybe even the Jaffa who will carry them until maturity) and it makes sense that she needed to do this since she had been imprisoned in stasis for over 2000 years and genetic drift etc can cause DNA changes over time. However, it is stated in the lexicon that a Queen produces offspring through an asexual process as she is able to impregnate herself.

This does not make a lot of sense if you look at Apophis and Klorel (who was claimed to be his son) and the fact that Goa'uld pass on genetic memory. If a Queen is merely used for producing offspring for their Jaffa armies then it will only be her genetic memory that will be passed on and those who came before her in her lineage. If it is an asexual process then how could Apophis have fathered Klorel and how could Klorel posses the genetic memory of Apophis (as he and Amaunet immediately fell into their roles upon implantation)?

Therefore, we have deduced that there is a possibility that Queens will impregnate themselves to produce prim'tas for foot soldiers with only (or no) genetic memory of herself. After all, if there are so many Jaffa there should be about 10 times more Goa'uld (as a Jaffa is capable of carrying about 12 symbiotes in his lifetime). However there are not, there are more Jaffa than Goa'uld or so it seems. It would also not make sense for Goa'uld to allow their Queens to produce batches of offspring who are essentially their future rivals; there will be more players on the same play field and Bra'tac once said (2x01 The Serpent's Lair) that a pharaoh's power is more often challenged by their sons than their enemies.

We can assume that Goa'uld have sex as they have mates and the Tok'ra (Jolinar and Lantash) also are capable of having an at least emotional bond that equals that of lovers. Amaunet was Apophis' mate, a mere queen not a Queen to produce offspring. However, if they have sexual intercourse there is a chance of producing an harsesis which is forbidden. With the snakes wrapped around the brain stem of the host and able to completely control the host's body it is safe to assume they can also regulate hormones/neurotransmitters and thus have their own way of birth control.

For a Queen to produce a Queen offspring or a 'true' Goa'uld offspring (like Klorel) there would have to be another partner to ensure the 'sex' of the offspring - perhaps a female will become a Queen and the other offspring regular Goa'uld who tend to have a preference for males. With Goa'uld being asexual and taking hosts for their survival it is possible that they use their host's body and reproductive organs to engage in sexual reproduction, mixing the DNA of the host with their own (Goa'uld) DNA to ensure all their traits and knowledge will be passed on. This theory (which I am using) could explain the preference most Goa'uld have for a male host as this would aid them in impregnating a Queen. We know that a Queen produces batches of offspring and uses a sort of egg sac for that, yet none was shown for Hathor - unless it was inside the host's body, for example in her uterus. Egeria was used to produce tons of larvae on Pangar without the aid of a host and as far as we know she did not produce a Queen offspring, only those mindless symbiotes.

If something about this is confusing, just let me know (Oh and I use the capitalized "Queen" to indicate a "female" Goa'uld that can produce larvae and a regular Goa'uld in a female host can be a "queen").

This is a tricky one, since there was never a real explanation on the show. Therefore, I rely on the lexicon’s explanation.

Kanan was a Tok'ra operative. During one of his earlier missions he had worked undercover as a minor Goa'uld in Ba'al's service, and he had used Ba'al's female lo'taur, Shallan, to access information about Ba'al's secret outpost for weapons technology and gravity field generators. During his last mission he had been an operative aboard Zipacna's fleet, and managed to escape during a battle with Lord Yu's forces. Although his mission objectives were completed, his host was mortally wounded and died before he was able to reveal details of the intelligence from the mission. The symbiote lived on, in dire need of a host, and when O'Neill faced death from the virus contracted from Ayiana, O'Neill agreed to become a temporary host in order to cure the virus and access the vital intelligence. However, a true blending never occurred. Kanan blocked his knowledge from O'Neill, and took control of O'Neill's body without his consent. Through his exposure to O'Neill's code of honor, Kanan was driven to return to Ba'al's outpost to rescue Shallan, but the rescue was unsuccessful, and the symbiote fled O'Neill's body to avoid capture by Ba'al. Kanan is presumed dead, and O'Neill became Ba'al's prisoner, with no memory of what had brought him there.
              In the episode guide there’s also no mention of true blending for Abyss or a note about Jack being able to sense naquadah etc, while there is one for Sam in Need.

Originally posted by lexicon
              Since the experience with Jolinar, Carter can share some of Jolinar's memories and sense the presence of a Goa'uld.

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
              And now for a question of my own:

Is anyone aware of there being an actual Goa'uld/Tok'ra/Jaffa word for "death glider"? I mean, the other types of ships had names in that language, so there certainly ought to be a name for the gliders. Other than "udajeet" for the open-cockpit type used on Abydos, I haven't found a reference, and I need a name for the normal, closed-cockpit ones. If there isn't one, I'll invent a name, but if there's a canon name, or a commonly-accepted name in fanon, I'd prefer to use what exists.
              Wasn't it basically the same as a death glider, only with an open cockpit? It could just be an updated version... but to answer your question, no I haven't come across a different term.
              Last edited by fems; 20 July 2011, 10:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

If they were truly asexual, they wouldn't have sexes (or they'd have both sexes). I think they need sexual reproduction, but females are capable of either parthenogenesis or holding onto the DNA of male for a long time.
                Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                  If they were truly asexual, they wouldn't have sexes (or they'd have both sexes). I think they need sexual reproduction, but females are capable of either parthenogenesis or holding onto the DNA of male for a long time.
                  That's the way I've always understood it. They can do it either way.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                    That's the way I've always understood it. They can do it either way.
                    Just like my pet stick-bug, Ed.
                    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Thanks everyone! The concept that the Queen can reproduce both ways would seem to satisfy the apparent inconsistencies.

(and I meant Asexual in the sense of the tapeworm -it has both male and female organs and fertilizes itself).

And thanks for the thing on Jack and naquadah -I'll chalk it up to writing inconsistency.

Another thought: maybe he does feel it but, being Jack, he doesn't like to talk about it? What do you think?
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Thanks everyone! The concept that the Queen can reproduce both ways would seem to satisfy the apparent inconsistencies.

(and I meant Asexual in the sense of the tapeworm -it has both male and female organs and fertilizes itself).
                        That's not so much asexual as hermaphroditic.

And thanks for the thing on Jack and naquadah -I'll chalk it up to writing inconsistency.

Another thought: maybe he does feel it but, being Jack, he doesn't like to talk about it? What do you think?
                        Hard to say, but possible.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I doubt Jack would keep something like that to himself, but even if he would I think Sam, Cassie or Teal'c (who still had his symbiote at the time) would have mentioned something or hinted at it.
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

True.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I was just thinking... we know Vala used to be a host to Qetesh, that the Tok'ra removed the symbiote from her and that Qetesh is dead. Vala, however, can still use Goa'uld healing devices etc (although I'm not sure if she can sense naquadah/symbiotes too). As far as I know it's never been explained whether Qetesh was already dead/dying and leaking toxins into Vala when the Tok'ra removed her (since she was tortured).

What I'm trying to say is that the difference between Jack/Kanan and Sam/Jolinar & Vala/Qetesh could be that in the latter two the symbiote died in the host, leaving them with naquadah and a protein marker in their blood. Kanan, however, left Jack's body and was then killed.

I believe Thor's Hammer also killed the symbiote (in the host/Jaffa) instead of simply beaming it out, which could explain why Kendra was also capable of using Goa'uld devices.
                              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

my interpretation

Jack's symbiote was in him such a short time that it never had a chance to leave behind any naqahdah, and it left him so nothing was left behind

Jolinar decomposed in sam (ick) and left behind the naqahdah, which is why she can use goa'uld toys, but jolinar never really had time to teach sam how to use them, so her skills are rocky at best (coupled with what might be a mental block of 'do i really want to use this stuff??)

Qetesh was in Vala for years. She had plenty of time to absorb naqahdah from Qetesh, so vala's body is permeated with it, likely more than Sam or as much as Sam because Sam absorbed the whole body, Qetesh was taken from Vala, but Vala hosted her for years.

I'm thinking as the years go by and the symbiotes absorbe sustenance and excrete waste, dead skin cells, etc, the human body just absorbs it. which can explain Kendra and vala.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X