This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
    I mostly read and write romances of various kinds. My preference is for there to be a bit of romance before the lead characters jump into bed. Mind, from that point on, all bets are off.
    Well, that eliminates my stories from interest for the most part. Not really a complaint, just speculation here.

Anyone here good at reading maps? I'm going to need some help estimating some timing soon (see, I would run into a new problem).
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
      Well, that eliminates my stories from interest for the most part. Not really a complaint, just speculation here.

Anyone here good at reading maps? I'm going to need some help estimating some timing soon (see, I would run into a new problem).
      Mostly romance, WR, mostly. I also like a good adventure and sometimes horror story. Tom Clancy and F. Paul Wilson are two of my favs!

What sort of traveling will be done? By foot or vehicle or a combination or what?
      sigpic
      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Mostly romance, WR, mostly. I also like a good adventure and sometimes horror story. Tom Clancy and F. Paul Wilson are two of my favs!

What sort of traveling will be done? By foot or vehicle or a combination or what?
        Still not sure if it's up your alley. Great, now I need help figuring out what genre this is (I always do).

Anyway, I'm wondering how long it'd take for a submarine off San Francisco to get to Oakland, and then a car from Oakland to Sacramento. I've always sucked at maps and driving plans.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Choo! How ironic, that your fic's initials are HT.
          Well i always refer to Hallowed Turf as HT just because two letters are just so much easier to type!

All grown up? Yeah right
          ('ew' was me being sarcastic btw. )
          [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Still not sure if it's up your alley. Great, now I need help figuring out what genre this is (I always do).

Anyway, I'm wondering how long it'd take for a submarine off San Francisco to get to Oakland, and then a car from Oakland to Sacramento. I've always sucked at maps and driving plans.
            Mapquest can estimate the car ride...but I can't help with the submarine.
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

What is the main theme of your story? Is it mainly adventure, iwth other stuff thrown in? That's one reason I like to write romance--there's no "trying to figure it out".

For the sub, I would use Google Earth. You can calculate distances (I believe even from one set of co-ordinates to another), then use a Google search to find out the average speed of a sub. That's how I determined how long a journey would have taken by horse in the late 13th century (using a horse, not a sub, people!). It's a rough guesstimate because I could not account for flora or buildings that might have been there; you may stand a better chance with calculating in for currents and drift and such.
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

San Francisco and Oakland just have a bay separating them. Is it deep enough for a sub? It's less than 2 miles, so it shouldn't take very long at all. Say it goes 30 mph, it would take about a 4 minutes. According to google maps it takes about 1.5 hours to drive from Oakland to Sacramento.

I like maps and figuring out travel times.
                Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                  *points at Whytewytch*

You. Go relax already!

(BTW, has anyone heard from Brooke lately? Feast of the Muse?)
                  I think it's my fault. She asked to read one of my fanfics, so I sent it to her and haven't heard from her since then.
                  Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

What type of submarine? Given the short distance and comparatively shallow waters (and possibly narrow channels) that seem to be involved, I'm guessing just a submersible - generally they move at only a few knots, up to maybe five or six. Given that a quick glance at a map suggests roughly three miles for a crossing, that's about half an hour.

If it's a big naval nuclear sub, they can move at twenty to twenty-five knots submerged, but generally only in open ocean. They are quite a bit slower on the surface, and I'm assuming the whole purpose of using the sub is to remain undetected? Don't know about the depth of the channel between SF and Oakland.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

That's how I determined how long a journey would have taken by horse in the late 13th century (using a horse, not a sub, people!). It's a rough guesstimate because I could not account for flora or buildings that might have been there; you may stand a better chance with calculating in for currents and drift and such.
                      I've got some links I've found helpful in dealing with equestrian journeys, because I discovered there's a lot more to it than "average speed" of the horse. Things like the ways you have to vary a horse's gait to get the best use and make the best time (and arrive with a still-useful horse) figure into it. Let me know if you want them for future reference.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                      sigpic
                      now also appearing on DeviantArt
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

What is the main theme of your story? Is it mainly adventure, iwth other stuff thrown in? That's one reason I like to write romance--there's no "trying to figure it out".
                        The themes are change and trust/distrust. Not sure what genre that works with.

Comment

The themes are change and trust/distrust. Not sure what genre that works with.
                          Maybe a thriller or some sub-genre thereof?

I know it's Wiki, but what the heck...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_(genre)
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                            I've got some links I've found helpful in dealing with equestrian journeys, because I discovered there's a lot more to it than "average speed" of the horse. Things like the ways you have to vary a horse's gait to get the best use and make the best time (and arrive with a still-useful horse) figure into it. Let me know if you want them for future reference.
                            Yeah, I kept the pace a walking pace, slowed it by a mile an hour since the horse was pulling a cart and factored in for rest stops as well as overnights. It didn't wind up factoring heavily into the story (see, Sara?) or I would have also factored in the possibility of a horse pulling up lame. I would love the website, though, Ana.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                              San Francisco and Oakland just have a bay separating them. Is it deep enough for a sub? It's less than 2 miles, so it shouldn't take very long at all. Say it goes 30 mph, it would take about a 4 minutes. According to google maps it takes about 1.5 hours to drive from Oakland to Sacramento.

I like maps and figuring out travel times.
                              *hug*

Maybe a thriller or some sub-genre thereof?

I know it's Wiki, but what the heck...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_(genre)
                              Definitely thriller. I love wiki.

Comment

Yeah, I kept the pace a walking pace, slowed it by a mile an hour since the horse was pulling a cart and factored in for rest stops as well as overnights. It didn't wind up factoring heavily into the story (see, Sara?) or I would have also factored in the possibility of a horse pulling up lame. I would love the website, though, Ana.
                                Okay, let me sort through my massive pile o' research bookmarks and find it, and I will send it along in a PM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                                sigpic
                                now also appearing on DeviantArt
                                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Working...
                                X