This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
    I looked it up for this year. Still, we can't support a hundred planets with military aid, two space ships, a spacestation-city (even a grounded one), our regular Coast Guard, Army, Air Force, Marines, all the weapons we have, and military aid on our own planet with that.
    There have been budgetary changes in recent years. You're better off looking at earlier budgets, from the actual years you're writing about. Also bear in mind that in the SG'verse, the US is probably NOT embroiled in some of the conflicts it is in our own. In short, you don't really have to worry about this too much; just wing it.

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
    Goverments will always find a way to fund the 'Black' and 'Grey' projects that they have.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Another way to fund project like this is the development of products for sale in the world market. New "miracle" drugs developed from plants found in the "rain forest" (of some other planet or other). Other medical advances, weapons advances, etc that are brought into line so that it is feasible that they could have been developed by someones (yup, that's plural--no focus on an individual) here on Earth. In either the medical field or the development of weapons, small changes can mean billions of dollars. If I'm not mistaken, that's how the guy who kidnapped Jeanne Miller made his fortune. A few companies like this, with the SGC taking only a percentage of the profits, would fund such missions, I would think. Maybe?

ETA: I'm a frakkin' computer genious! This is my first post after setting up my parents' first modem in their house.

**Waves to Ana, just across the state line**
      Last edited by Whytewytch; 15 June 2011, 06:03 PM. Reason: Blowin' my own horn
      sigpic
      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
        Sara, as Sky said, you need to do enough for your credibility, not so much to "prove" your knowledge. The best knowledge comes across seemlessly, flowing through the story gently instead of smacking the reader across the head. Even though I'm using the gate in my story, I don't need to know Gate Mechanics 101. Even though I'm using a character well-versed in holistic and natural medicine, I don't need a degree. As for your writer's block, I find it best to just sit and write, even if it's just your "to do" list. The act gets your brain working in that direction. And once you start writing, don't self-edit, not yet. Just write. I just finished a chap of ITB that I am not happy with, but it is a rough draft. Even if the chap needs some of the knowledge that you need to gain, just leave those sections alone. I usually type in a different color "need info here" or something. Hope that helps!
        Oh yes, it does help. Just knowing it happens to you as well improves my mood. Writing fanfic has been a great exercise in learning to navigate around writer's block. I have my notebook and pen and I just start writing, and as the ink flows, so sometimes does the story...and I'll sometimes begin to lose the thread and write stream of conciousness, but it usually ends up being a GREAT starting point.

It's just the 2 rough chapters I wrote 2 weeks ago turned out badly and that kinda threw me into a dark mood...started doubting my ability and what I'm doing here. I think that I'm doing better now, because I'm sitting here typing in those chapters an intent on 'fixing' them. Redemption is part of the process.

Thanks for the idea of the different color to go back and insert info...I'll start using that.

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
        I do that same thing! I'll write a chapter, and for the parts I'm not yet sure about, I use a placeholder of some sort, and type in a reminder to insert that information once I have it. I also do that when I'm writing a chapter where I have some scenes fleshed out but not others; I'll write the part that's ready to be written and leave gaps where I need them, with reminders to insert whatever it is that I think belongs there.
        Great idea also! will use that technique also...
        sigpic
        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Another way to fund project like this is the development of products for sale in the world market. New "miracle" drugs developed from plants found in the "rain forest" (of some other planet or other). Other medical advances, weapons advances, etc that are brought into line so that it is feasible that they could have been developed by someones (yup, that's plural--no focus on an individual) here on Earth. In either the medical field or the development of weapons, small changes can mean billions of dollars. If I'm not mistaken, that's how the guy who kidnapped Jeanne Miller made his fortune. A few companies like this, with the SGC taking only a percentage of the profits, would fund such missions, I would think. Maybe?
          Problem: I'm not sure the US military runs any pharmaceutical firms and since military weapons get sold to the military by their manufacturers (I don't think the SGC is going to develop advanced weapons to sell to other countries, are they?), I don't think that would earn any money for the SGC's budget either. Also, remember Senator Kinsey complaining about how the SGC was being funded by the government and he wanted to cut their funding? That assumes the SGC was an item in the normal budget, only masked. So I doubt that it would be self-funding.

ETA: I'm a frakkin' computer genious! This is my first post after setting up my parents' first modem in their house.

**Waves to Ana, just across the state line**
          Woo-hoo on setting up their modem! Which state line are you waving across? PA, WV, KY, IN or MI?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
            Goverments will always find a way to fund the 'Black' and 'Grey' projects that they have.
            I think that's the answer. Business ties, grants, donations from politicians and companies, and give-and-take (yes, just like Henry Wallace's company) would certainly make sense.

I had a vague idea and Wytchy his the nail on the head for me.

You're just on a roll today, aren't you?

PS: Congrats.
            Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Problem: I'm not sure the US military runs any pharmaceutical firms and since military weapons get sold to the military by their manufacturers (I don't think the SGC is going to develop advanced weapons to sell to other countries, are they?), I don't think that would earn any money for the SGC's budget either. Also, remember Senator Kinsey complaining about how the SGC was being funded by the government and he wanted to cut their funding? That assumes the SGC was an item in the normal budget, only masked. So I doubt that it would be self-funding.
              Mainly, I was thinking of the medical aspect, just sorta threw in the weapons aspect for poohs and giggles. It's been awhile since I've seen SG-1, mainly I do the SGA thing. Would someone else (like the IOA) be able to act as silent investors to collect a percentage on pharmaceutical sales? I honestly don't know how the stuff works, just was sorta throwing out ideas.

Woo-hoo on setting up their modem! Which state line are you waving across? PA, WV, KY, IN or MI?
              My first ever modem set-up! Hubby usually does it, but he's not here with us. I thought you were in NY? I'm in CT right now.

Spoiler:
              Dad's hip replacement went well; Mom's Alzheimer's is definite, no matter what any doctors say. She's asked me how old her grandsons are about 10 times in the last day and a half that we've been here. In a span of an hour and a half yesterday, she took her morning medicine and forgot twice that she had. Etc.
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                Oh yes, it does help. Just knowing it happens to you as well improves my mood. Writing fanfic has been a great exercise in learning to navigate around writer's block. I have my notebook and pen and I just start writing, and as the ink flows, so sometimes does the story...and I'll sometimes begin to lose the thread and write stream of conciousness, but it usually ends up being a GREAT starting point.

It's just the 2 rough chapters I wrote 2 weeks ago turned out badly and that kinda threw me into a dark mood...started doubting my ability and what I'm doing here. I think that I'm doing better now, because I'm sitting here typing in those chapters an intent on 'fixing' them. Redemption is part of the process.

Thanks for the idea of the different color to go back and insert info...I'll start using that.

Great idea also! will use that technique also...
                Glad we could help, Sara! Ana & I were separated at birth or so it seems.
                sigpic

Comment

My first ever modem set-up! Hubby usually does it, but he's not here with us. I thought you were in NY? I'm in CT right now.
                  Heheh. No, I haven't lived in NY since 1987, and I was way over in that little far-western corner up against Lake Erie and the PA border. I'm in Cleveland, Ohio now.

Spoiler:
                  Ack! My dad is just going home to the nursing home from the hospital today, after another UTI. Blargh.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Heheh. No, I haven't lived in NY since 1987, and I was way over in that little far-western corner up against Lake Erie and the PA border. I'm in Cleveland, Ohio now.
                    Oops! **Waves across two state lines to Ana?** I'm definitely closer now than in FL!

Spoiler:
                    Ack! My dad is just going home to the nursing home from the hospital today, after another UTI. Blargh.
                    Spoiler:
                    Hope your dad gets to feeling better. My poor dad still works driving a school bus plus taking care of the house, the yard and my mother; he'll be 75 in a couple of weeks. And Mom is definitely a chore. She was spazzing out when I was setting up the modem, thinking that she would no longer be able to use the phone nor the computer that we gave them ten years ago, to play her solitaire. While I was on hold for a technical question, I cleaned some of their office and found grocery receipts from 199*, scrap paper, etc. I went through their fridge--there were jars of salad dressing that expired in 2006. My mom is diabetic (type 2, beginning) and there are more cookies, ice cream and candy than at a 6 year-old's birthday party. "Ve are most displeased." I think I may be back this way before the year is out to help them dig out of the crap. Dad's had it with the mess & has given me carte blanche.
                    sigpic

Comment

Mainly, I was thinking of the medical aspect, just sorta threw in the weapons aspect for poohs and giggles. It's been awhile since I've seen SG-1, mainly I do the SGA thing. Would someone else (like the IOA) be able to act as silent investors to collect a percentage on pharmaceutical sales? I honestly don't know how the stuff works, just was sorta throwing out ideas
                      I thought it was the army secured the raw materials/geographic territory, gave/sold it to the company, and bought the actual supplies later. As an example.

I mean, imagine if we found a planet that grew cocoa beans.

PS: congratz.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I thought it was the army secured the raw materials/geographic territory, gave/sold it to the company, and bought the actual supplies later.
                        It doesn't work that way in reality, but if you're not talking about our reality then *shrug*.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

It doesn't work that way in reality, but if you're not talking about our reality then *shrug*.
                          It's worked pretty often in history. Now we just make deals with drug companies (and oil, depending on your views).

Comment

It's worked pretty often in history. Now we just make deals with drug companies (and oil, depending on your views).
                            The modern US military (which is, after all, the basis for the SGC) doesn't give or sell raw materials to companies. They have to buy them from their producers, just like everyone else. What may or may not have happened in previous centuries doesn't really apply.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

The modern US military (which is, after all, the basis for the SGC) doesn't give or sell raw materials to companies. They have to buy them from their producers, just like everyone else. What may or may not have happened in previous centuries doesn't really apply.
                              The US is still fighting a war that's backed by money. Oil, opium, and tons of natural mineral resources are keeping this going.

Comment

But that isn't the same as the military going out and selling those things for a profit.

Remember Kinsey. If the Stargate Program had been self-supporting, he wouldn't have been complaining about the budget and trying to shut it down. Hammond had to fight him on this.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X