Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgently seeking help with FF.net. When I upload my chapters into the document uploader, all the " and ' are converted to either " as an A or ' as either an = sign or *. Can anyone tell me what's going on? This is so fruatrating and I really don't know what to do. I've tried re-doing them in notepad and wordpad, but the result is always the same.
    My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
    sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
      Urgently seeking help with FF.net. When I upload my chapters into the document uploader, all the " and ' are converted to either " as an A or ' as either an = sign or *. Can anyone tell me what's going on? This is so fruatrating and I really don't know what to do. I've tried re-doing them in notepad and wordpad, but the result is always the same.
      From personal experience, FF.net has issues with signs like % and a few others, never had any issies with quotation marks though. can you link me?
      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

they do strip out everything but punctuation. it's an anti-spam thing (but, my gripe, TOTALLY fraks up your fic, made most of mine unreadable since they took out all the page breaks and smashed all the paragraphs together.)

ahem

it could just be a bug, they have those all the time
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          they do strip out everything but punctuation. it's an anti-spam thing (but, my gripe, TOTALLY fraks up your fic, made most of mine unreadable since they took out all the page breaks and smashed all the paragraphs together.)

ahem

it could just be a bug, they have those all the time
          They've reworked it a bit so now you just need to -------------- (any size really) in the fic to seperate the scenes, and it'll come out as a horizontal line. i guess i just lucked out in that that's how i always did page breaks ]

as far as smashing paragraphs together, i write using indents and it automatically upgrades it into a full space. When was the last time you published on FF.net?

it does piss me off about the synbols though, the % sign especially
          Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

just last week.

i started using either letters or ::::::: as my page breaks

when ff.net decided to strip out all symbols, they frakked up over 300 of my stories. I took them all down because they were unreadable messes and it took me over a year to reformat them. so while i put fic on the site, their heavy handed manner of management leaves me cold.

wehn i have long fic, i'm not going to go through and reformat it twice, once for my site, once for another one and then a third time for ff.net just cause of their 'rules'

what their uploader does is, for example you have 2-3 carriage returns between different points of view, they're gone. all space gets turned into a singular carriage return.

sigpic

Comment

So, is there another way to upload and avoid this hassle? I was thinking of editing it on site, but that's like forty or more pages, not to mention what I'll post in future.

Comment

So, is there another way to upload and avoid this hassle? I was thinking of editing it on site, but that's like forty or more pages, not to mention what I'll post in future.
                It honestly sounds like it's just another FF.net glitch, with such a massive repository, it's a pain in the fron more often than not

Comment

"Did he say fron? I'm sure he did."
                  "No I did not, I said ......arse"

Comment

What is SG's policy to non-English fics? I know there is many who don't speak English that is good enough to write a fic and I think many of us write fanfic in our native languages and we could use some shameless self advertisement It is understandable that GW uses mainly English and maybe doesn't want many non-English threads, but how about sticky to non-English fic? A bit like it's own 'subforum' but not a one.

Just thinking loud

Comment

I think i you want a thread to announce non-english fic, i'm fine with it.

sigpic

Comment

I'm looking for some input for the start of my next story (Continuing on from Continuum) - I'm having trouble deciding which events should happen first and generally in what order. If it was some how possible I would have it all happen at the same time but then there would probably be five people talking about different things at the same moment and that would only lead to mass confusion (for me and any readers). Anyways, here is what I can share without giving away too much of the story:

Backround: Sequel to my story Unending Revised, and takes place around the events of Continuum (first story is not a must read for this one to make sense)

Events to take place:
                        - Previously dead character returns
                        - Lunch scene with General O'Neill and SG-1
                        - Shippy S/J Moment
                        - O'Neill's plans for the future of the SGC, himself, ect.
                        - umm... some other random scene running around in my head (of which there are quite a few)

I know that this is really cryptic, but I have been thinking about the start of this story for more than 6 months now and instead of getting a clearer picture I keep on coming up with additional pieces to add. I figured I would see if there is any input prior to me writing it, as opposed to after, to hopefully make it easier, and more fun, to read. Keep in mind that all of these events, and more (especially in regards to the S/J ship), will happen but in an unknown order.

Thanks!
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Comment

^^^ Depending on how long you think your story might be, you need to write a synopsis out. A brief detail of each chapter and character events and so on. This is a good reference tool for your timing and chronolgy as well. For me, I am for about forty five to fifty pages for a decent read, about an hours worth, from that I can write a page and a half of my synopsis, hope this helps

Comment

Maybe you can do an inadvertent and unknown side affect of that whole alternate time alteration fiasco. Something that spins out of control. If you're continuing with your previous story, mind giving us a summary of what that was? I like spinning stuff.

Comment

^^^ Depending on how long you think your story might be, you need to write a synopsis out. A brief detail of each chapter and character events and so on. This is a good reference tool for your timing and chronolgy as well. For me, I am for about forty five to fifty pages for a decent read, about an hours worth, from that I can write a page and a half of my synopsis, hope this helps
                              That's really helpful, Thanks! I had briefly thought about quickly writing down some sort of outline but dismissed it not really understanding how helpful it could be. I guess I just needed someone else to tell me that it's the best approach, so thanks again

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                              Maybe you can do an inadvertent and unknown side affect of that whole alternate time alteration fiasco. Something that spins out of control. If you're continuing with your previous story, mind giving us a summary of what that was? I like spinning stuff.
                              There is definately going to be some changes to the timeline as a result of the events of Continuum, but it will be more through flashbacks (it's the best way I can think to put it) than anything else - a lot of what I have planned is for the S/J undertone that will be throughout the story. As far as the previous story goes, aside from the general plot of Unending, here are some of the high points that I really enjoyed

Jack Related:
                              - continued 'throwing' (pottery) from when stuck in time loops
                              - prior to events on the Odyssey he could read and write Ancient, Goa'uld, and the languages of the Nox and Furlings (to a degree)
                              - during the events he began to write an autobiographical book

S/J:
                              - took a while but they finally got together and married with a nice set of wedding bands

The rest really keeps with the original events of the episode... wow, didn't think I would be able to sum it up so shortly

If you have any suggestions for 'something that spins out of control' I'm always open to ideas - I just don't want to give away any specific details about the new story (I like to go for the surprise factor when I can)

Thank you both for the help and suggestions!
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Comment

i would like to help you...but my own plotbunny (which i started writing just now (it's 3:50 AM here ATM - and i can't sleep)) is threatening me (i think its eyes glow...hm...glowing eyes...that does remind me of something...hm...nevermind)

i am doing a rewrite of "in the line of duty" (i might also go beyond - like changing that event and having SG-1 continue from there...at least i plan to, if i don't hit writing blockade again - i have had that for one and a half years now....

as for the changes i am making:

1. Jolinar ends up in Jack, she survives the "ashrak encounter"
                                2. Jolinar has some forces of her own left (she didn't loose everything once apophis entered the battle and destroyed her "uprising")
                                3. Jack keeps the Symbiote! (yes, having been blended might do that, also he hates thinking of it (yes he was blended to Kanaan in the series for a short time, still this was a negative encounter, as Kanan used him for his own goals))
                                4. Earth gets technology much earlier (mid-end season 2 in comparison to season 5 (X-302) and season 6 (X-303 - Prometheus))

I just want to know one thing:

Would you have Jolinar found out in the way they did to Sam? Or would you do something else entirely?

I was thinking of "something else"....got the happenings in my head already (so i'll show you what I think should happen, at least for the first chapters)

1. Of course the scene on the planet (with the changes of who gets the "snake")
                                2. SGC (medical check out - with nothing out of the ordinary...jolinar is not found out)
                                3. Jack (jolinar using his body) getting home to his house
                                4. Jolinar taking leave (telling Hammond that Jack wants to do a fishing trip after all that excitement (the almost invasion of apophis did happen of course))
                                5. Jolinar recognizing that the ashrak followed her
                                6. A long talk between host (jack of course) and Jolinar
                                7. Them both deciding that they need to fight the ashrak
                                8. them going of to egypt - looking for left over goa'uld technology (i mean: Osiris had a hand device, a set of rings and a ship still there) as jolinar remembers were some of it is (we know that jolinar was a powerful goa'uld (just short of a systemlord) once, so it is reasonable that she is also older then the standard tok'ra by deducing she might have used the sarcophagus (and maybe still does) - so she might have been on earth once already!)
                                9. daniel and rest SG-1 getting that jack left and they follow - and the ashrak follows them
                                10. the fight with the ashrak (after he has taken out the team (without killing them - the harakesh can do that as far as we know) - he dies in the end
                                11. jolinar leaving earth in a left over goa'uld ship (in order to check up on her forces...finding only the abandond space station (the jaffa left when they ran out of symbiotes), a few hatak vessels + other smaller craft (some damaged - they fled from the fight with apophis) and the rest almost out of reactor fuel)
                                12. return to earth and talking to General Hammond...(jolinar tell them of the tok'ra of course, but as she knows them, she tells them not to approach them directly)
                                13. enlarging the team
                                14. change in the mission profile: Jolinar helps earth to develope technologies faster, she also tells them were they might find more allies (no blind stumbling from planet to planet again) and they now need to get naquadah - in order to fuel the spaceships left on the space station - and later on, their own ships of course.
                                ...(that's it so far)

so, what do you think? would you go that way (or would you lock jack up like it happened with sam in that episode?)

if you have any advice, please go ahead.

thanks in advance,

greetings, LAX

Comment

Working...
                                X