Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know how the Royal Navy has toasts drunk in the officers mess?
    For example, there's the Loyal Toast to the Queen - normally proposed by the most junior officer present.

Then there's toasts for each day of the week, "Absent friends", "Our ships at sea.", "A willing foe and sea room.", "A bloody war or a sickly season.", that sort of thing.

Since Starfleet sort of evolved out of the world's navies, do we think that it has any toasts and mess room traditions?
    The Loyal Toast being made to the Federation President maybe?
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Any real liquor I've seen on Starfleet vessels seem to come from personal stock and not part of the ship's official rations. Of course by the Next Generation era replicator supplied liquor was most likely to be synthehol based. Meaning, all one has to do is simply concentrate for a bit and all the inebriation and hangover is gone just like that.

If Starfleet does have toasts at meals it most likely be reserved for formal occasions as all regular meals the officers eat that I've seen in Star Trek, they eat what the crew eats using the same utensils. Unlike in wet navies today, enlisted crew eat in the mess buffet style with multi-section trays, paper napkins and utilitarian utensils. While officers eat in the wardroom with table clothes, cloth napkins, ceramic dinner plates, classier utensils, and waiters (called stewards) to serve and clear.

Star Trek was written by Americans and they mostly look towards the US Navy which is a dry (in terms of alcohol) navy. Contrast to the British Royal Navy which to this day each sailor has a daily ration of beers and ales with wine and harder stuff reserved for the officers. During WWII whenever British and American ships operated together, senior enlisted crews of both sides would barter with each other with the Americans getting real liquor and the Brits getting ice cream.
      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
        Any real liquor I've seen on Starfleet vessels seem to come from personal stock and not part of the ship's official rations. Of course by the Next Generation era replicator supplied liquor was most likely to be synthehol based. Meaning, all one has to do is simply concentrate for a bit and all the inebriation and hangover is gone just like that.

If Starfleet does have toasts at meals it most likely be reserved for formal occasions as all regular meals the officers eat that I've seen in Star Trek, they eat what the crew eats using the same utensils. Unlike in wet navies today, enlisted crew eat in the mess buffet style with multi-section trays, paper napkins and utilitarian utensils. While officers eat in the wardroom with table clothes, cloth napkins, ceramic dinner plates, classier utensils, and waiters (called stewards) to serve and clear.

Star Trek was written by Americans and they mostly look towards the US Navy which is a dry (in terms of alcohol) navy. Contrast to the British Royal Navy which to this day each sailor has a daily ration of beers and ales with wine and harder stuff reserved for the officers. During WWII whenever British and American ships operated together, senior enlisted crews of both sides would barter with each other with the Americans getting real liquor and the Brits getting ice cream.
        so, make a compromise, rum raison ice cream :-D

Comment

Do ribosones and cell components count as nanites? Everything I find on them calls them macromolecular machines. And I also see references to cell components when researching nanites. And would identifying these structures in a fluid be a good way to identify something as a noncellular organism?

sigpic
          Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
          https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

StargateMillenium, you might want to try in the fanfic helpdesk, as that is more specifically scientific and technical.

~~~~~~

What was the Pegasus alpha site like around the time of The Siege, I wanted to write a What-If fanfic about the Atlantis Expedition trying to survive in the Pegasus Galaxy in the timeline without the ZPM, (the ZPM was obtained in Moebius, a time travel episode, in case you didn't remember) but I don't remember what the Alpha site was.
            Me? take over the world? of course not.

Comment

What's the helicopter equivalent to a fixed wing aircraft waggling its wings?
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                A crash in the making...
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Truth be told I can't even imagine your description. The closest thing I can think of are tiltrotor aircraft like the V22 Osprey.

sigpic
                  Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I kind of thought that dipping the nose while in a hover might fit the bill. Does that sound about right?
                    sigpic

Comment

In the entire almost 55 year history of Star Trek, has there been any mention in any media - on screen, novels, comic books, games etc. - of Uplifts?

I.E. genetically and cybernetically enhanced primates.
                      sigpic

Comment

The military members of the expedition, would they have to be full time military members, or would they draft reservists. If say maybe someone had the ATA gene, or would be useful to the program.

It's for a character. She's RAF, but I was going to have her do some work with the Air Ambulance, probably London. I was going to have her as a reservist.

Although, I suppose I could have her doing voluntery work for the Air Ambulance. I have a friend who is US Navy, but she does some voluntary work at a fire station doing medic work....
                        sigpic
                        He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness, and warmth when I shiver in cold

Comment

A question about US police terminology.

What is the US name for the list of crimes a person has committed?

In the UK, it's a charge sheet.
                          sigpic

Comment

A question about US police terminology.

What is the US name for the list of crimes a person has committed?

In the UK, it's a charge sheet.
                            I think it's rap sheet....(I may have that wrong). I'm sure there's another term they use though. But I can't remember.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hmm, I was thinking more the formal, official, name. But I suppose rap sheet would do.
                              sigpic

Comment

Hmm, I was thinking more the formal, official, name. But I suppose rap sheet would do.
                                Yeah, I know it has another more formal name like you said, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Sorry I can't be any help. Maybe someone else can.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X