Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not quite what I was looking for, but good to know it's not unheard of.

Thanks.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by sharim View Post
      Hey, I sincerely doubt this injury would be survivable, and that they would be able to cauterise it or continue fighting. Can't give you an ETA on death but it would be pretty damn quick, imo. Looks like that stabbing most likely crosses paths with some of the large vessels in the thorax including aorta/subclavian vein, as well as most likely stabbing right into the heart, particularly that second stabbing. Obviously lots of people survive severe looking injuries based on how lucky they are and important things get missed by mm, but generally speaking that looks pretty final to me.

The idea or merit behind cauterisation would be stemming blood flow to prevent blood loss, so depending on the nature of the injury cauterising may not change the outcome anyway, depending on where they've been hit.

If you want them to be able to continue a fight and want cauterisation involved, I think a "flesh" wound would be your best bet so you avoid vital organ damage. Abdominal stab wounds are another potential option if you want them to continue for a short period, because depending on site of stabbing and depth it's not unreasonable that they have a bit of time up their sleeve - they would most likely need abdominal surgery. I'm not really sure that cauterisation would help or hinder in this scenario though? There are still organs that could be penetrated in Abdo wound (liver/spleen/pancreas/kidneys/major vessels etc) so just depends on the context and nature of the injury you give them.

good luck!
      Alright, so you think impalement through the abdomen is the way to go? I'm looking for a wound that would be fatal in a few minutes if left untreated and cauterization turned it into a few hours.

sigpic
      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Random interesting fact. Here was a nice video about different blood colours which can help you to establish how alien blood should look like :

How Blood Evolved (Many Times)
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdjN4ddnl2E

It would be nice to build in such real scientifical facts into fanfics or future Stargate spinoffs. I always wanted a biologist character which could be connected to environment or evolution related problems too. And when I have seen this video it has just showed up in mind this idea again how much we could entertain and educate our readers or audience in SG projects.
        Last edited by Platschu; 21 July 2020, 01:39 PM.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
          I'm looking for a wound that would be fatal in a few minutes if left untreated and cauterization turned it into a few hours.
          Does it have to cauterization? Because with impalement, survival can be extended (and sometimes the wound can be survived) by simply not removing the item doing the impalement.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
            Does it have to cauterization? Because with impalement, survival can be extended (and sometimes the wound can be survived) by simply not removing the item doing the impalement.

Seaboe
            Well it doesn't have to be cauterization. But the stabbing implement can't be left in the body.

Scene plays out as two people get attacked. One guy gets injured by a sword or spear or something hand held and the other guy has to leave him behind. Wound is so bad that the runner thinks his friend is dead. Then it turns out his friend survived and cauterized or something else to buy himself more time but still needs proper medical attention. That's why I went for cauterization and the stab from the vid. But I wasn't sure if the internal bleeding would be too severe.

sigpic

Comment

This vid from 4 years ago: This gel stops bleeding in seconds. Would this be something beyond the capabilities of your characters?
              No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
              It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                This vid from 4 years ago: This gel stops bleeding in seconds. Would this be something beyond the capabilities of your characters?
                My characters could certainly do this, but it still raises the question what injury am I dealing that something like this would stall death from minutes to hours without proper medical treatment? I imagine internal bleeding has to happen or stopping the external one would be all that's needed. But where can I go pop without causing an injury too severe but still will kill in hours without proper treatment?

sigpic

Comment

Head wound maybe? They always bleed like buggery.

Maybe the character has undiagnosed haemophilia?
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

The trouble with giving your character a stab wound is not just bleeding. A gut wound that penetrates the liver is going to bleed like an SOB, if you penetrate the intestines you get a raging infection, etc. I'd think you'd need a fairly good knowledge of anatomy to determine what the wound is likely to hit and what the damage would do.

A head wound, like BruTak suggests, might be better. When I was 12, I hit the dashboard of a car (unpadded). I was not knocked out, but I cut my forehead. Despite my mom wrapping my head in a towel, and the use of gauze pads at the hospital, I lost enough blood in about an hour to need a 2 pint transfusion a few days later.

If your character is knocked out, he probably has a concussion in addition to all the blood.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                      The trouble with giving your character a stab wound is not just bleeding. A gut wound that penetrates the liver is going to bleed like an SOB, if you penetrate the intestines you get a raging infection, etc. I'd think you'd need a fairly good knowledge of anatomy to determine what the wound is likely to hit and what the damage would do.

A head wound, like BruTak suggests, might be better. When I was 12, I hit the dashboard of a car (unpadded). I was not knocked out, but I cut my forehead. Despite my mom wrapping my head in a towel, and the use of gauze pads at the hospital, I lost enough blood in about an hour to need a 2 pint transfusion a few days later.

If your character is knocked out, he probably has a concussion in addition to all the blood.

Seaboe
                      I could go with a liver stab. The infection part can be cleaned up in the actual medical treatment part. I just need it to at least appear that person will die from their wounds.

sigpic

Comment

If any law enforcement would read this, there would be some serious frowning happening, me thinks.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Ah yes, like the guys you see in true crime shows who are undone by stuff like "How to dispose of a body" in their internet search history.
                          sigpic

Comment

Always delete that search history... doesn't everyone know that by now?
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

You'd think so, wouldn't you?
                              sigpic

Comment

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before.

Was it ever established how long the stun effect from a Zat gun lasted?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X