This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, a follow up question.

Do some C.O.'s still use different postings/courses etc. as a way of quietly getting rid of troublemakers?
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I'm sure they do, but I'm also sure there's no way to prove it one way or the other.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I hope this is the right thread for this, but I need some characterization help. I need some help on how my character, Andi (short for a Chinese name), can butt heads a bit with John and to connect a bit with Jack.

She's not affiliated with the military whatsoever (the closest is that her father was in the Coast Guard and has retired or changed jobs) and later takes a diplomat job. She doesn't trust the military much, especially top secret departments. Her godfather, whom she was close to, both worked for the IOA, but was also a host to a rogue 'snake'. She somewhat blames the death of her godfather (though the 'snake' lived), on the military. Her strategies often work like Todd's--half truths, secrets, calling bluffs, and trying to outplan the other person. She also hunts and fishes, plus she'd admire Jack's dedication to ethics, though I don't know how he'd feel about any of it.

She's also rather young, 17-18.
        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

How can she bond with Jack O'Neill? Simple, a shared love of The Simpsons.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

With John, on the other hand... try the Todd-way. They don't trust each other as far as they can throw one another, but have to work together to make it through the day or the next crisis, but both would sleep with a knife under their pillow in case the other decides to go at it alone.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I know military slang varies from country to country, but do Royal Navy personnel refer to leaving the service as being "beached", whether it's retiral or through injury?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                With John, on the other hand... try the Todd-way. They don't trust each other as far as they can throw one another, but have to work together to make it through the day or the next crisis, but both would sleep with a knife under their pillow in case the other decides to go at it alone.
                Sometimes, it'll be like that, sometimes you have to wake up early and rescue the other guy from some disaster you both caused.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

A US base on foreign soil is still considered a part of the US, yes?

Where does US authority begin and end? At the gatehouse and fence?
                  sigpic

Comment

Much depends on the specific treaty governing the presence of those bases. But in general the bases are not considered US soil but are lands leased according to the terms of the treaty.

US authority does generally stop at boundaries of the base. While US Federal laws and regulations hold sway on base, US personnel and command authority must respect and uphold local laws even to the point of handing over US personnel for local criminal proceedings. On that last point it only happens for certain very serious crimes such as but not limited to rape and murder as defined by treaty. These handovers always involve alleged crimes committed against locals. If the crimes are committed against other US personnel it usually handled by the local US authorities.

US MPs can patrol outside the base but only have jurisdiction over US personnel for minor offenses and to maintain discipline.

On the reverse, local authorities are limited by treaty to what they can do to US personnel on base. For example in Saudi Arabia, US females do not have to follow Saudi law governing females but once outside the base they are almost as limited as Saudi women are.
                    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

My specific scenario is, a multinational (but majority US) military unit, offshoot from main SGC organisation, based in Scotland in a run down stately home/country estate type of place which they're restoring in their downtime.

Nearest population center is a small town, quite a way off the main tourist route.

The locals think their new neighbours are great because they're bringing money into the area.
                      sigpic

Comment

Since the organization is multi-national its rules would hold sway. Just what those rules are is up to you and those rules would only apply in matters of internal discipline and operational security.

Is the unit undercover? Or are they operating in the open as military personnel with a misleading (something other than what is publicly declared) mission? If operating undercover local Scottish laws apply. If operating as overt military, it would be under whatever treaty governs foreign military bases in addition to whatever specific rules apply to their base.
                        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

It's a bit of both. Officially, they're there to act as "clean up" for any dangerous alien tech that gets left behind on Earth. But as far as members of the general public are aware, they're a training unit for counterterrorism operations.
                          sigpic

Comment

How maneuverable would hive ships be? I figured they'd be on par with speed and turning and all that jazz as Lantean ships of comparable size, but I got dissed on an rp for saying a hive could doge if they wanted.

Comment

Hmmmm.... That's a tricky one.

There are documented cases from WWII of lookouts on ships seeing the wake of torpedos, giving a warning, and the helmsman turning the ship just enough that the torpedoes miss and pass harmlessly by.

So I suppose for spacecraft, it's within the realms of possibility.

But I'd make a thing of it causing a lot of structural stress (maybe some damage as well) to the Hiveship, because it's an emergency maneuver.
                              sigpic

Comment

Does anyone have a map or schematics for Atlantis? I want something illustrated and I want to accurately show where the brig is in the city

Comment

Working...
                                X