X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
    A question of military protocol.

When an officer boards a ship, does he (or she) first salute the nation's flag and then the officer of the deck?

Or is it the other way round?
    Your first option is correct. When boarding a naval vessel, at the top of the gangway first pay respect to the ensign then the OOD.
    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

That's what I thought. It never hurts to double check.

Thanks.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Is it still possible to pick the lock on a set of modern handcuffs?
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

With standard issue handcuffs certainly. Since one set of handcuff keys will work with any set of handcuffs, if you can pick a regular handcuff you should be able to pick them all.

If the handcuffs come with a different locking set (and there some), then I don't know.

Comment

Apparently dislocating your thumbs can also do the trick. It is, perhaps, slightly more painful but it doesn't require lockpicking skills.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I was thinking more of the Hiatt Speedcuffs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiatt_speedcuffs
              sigpic

Comment

Speedcuffs use the Universal Handcuff Key. The locks themselves should be fall to the standard lockpicking tools and methods.

All modern cuffs use a spring loaded ratchet mechanism, an appropriate lever can push the ratchet up and release the cuffs. (I've done so myself when playing with a set of cuffs I had access to.) The double lock prevents this by immobilizing the ratchet when a pin is pushed in usually by the pointy end of the handcuff key. The double lock is released by inserting the key and first turning it the opposite way to the standard unlocking direction.

Since Speedcuffs are rigid, how the cuffs are applied matters. How are the hands positioned when the 'prisoner' is cuffed? Where is the keyhole when the cuffs are applied? Does the 'prisoner' have the appropriate tools as well as the dexterity to manipulate them? Is the double lock activated?

If the 'prisoner' or their ally has the tools and the dexterity to use them, then getting out shouldn't pose too big a problem.

Comment

Would it be appropriate for a military officer to wear their uniform and awards/decorations to their 25th school reunion?
                  sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't know why they wouldn't. Unless they retired or something.

Comment

It's more a case of "You all thought I'd never make anything of my life, look at me now ha ha ha!"
                      sigpic

Comment

I guess an officer could wear his/her uniform to a school reunion, just don't really see a need to.

I've seen loads of pics where male veterans wear their medals (usually the miniature versions) with their formal wear at gala events. Also, I've seen people wear their medals on their civilian attire at events celebrating/honoring military service.

I guess your military officer could wear their medals with their civilian attire as a compromise.

Anyway here are the relevant sections from the USMC uniform regulations (dated Mar 2003) school reunions are not listed as acceptable venues, but it doesn't prohibit it either (at least according to my reading).

Chapter 1

1003. RESTRICTIONS ON WEARING UNIFORMS
                        1. Members of the Marine Corps and Marine Corps Reserve, including retired
                        Marines, are prohibited from wearing the Marine Corps uniform while engaged
                        in any of the following activities, functions or circumstances unless
                        specifically authorized by the CMC (PA):
                        a. Soliciting funds for any purpose from the public outside of a
                        military base or establishment.
                        b. Participating in any type of show or event which is commercially
                        sponsored for advertising purposes, where it could be implied or construed
                        that the Marine Corps "endorses" the product advertised.
                        c. "Endorsing" commercial products in such ways as to involve the
                        uniform, title, grade or rate, or in any way establish or imply their
                        military affiliation with such products.
                        d. Appearing or participating in any event in public that would
                        compromise the dignity of the uniform.
                        2. Whenever any doubt exists as to the propriety of wearing the Marine Corps
                        uniform under circumstances similar to those enumerated above, specific
                        requests should be directed to the CMC (MCUB/PA). For further information on
                        those laws and directives, which govern the authority to wear the uniform,
                        refer to chapter 11.

CHAPTER 11
                        LAWS AND DIRECTIVES
                        11000. GENERAL
                        1. In addition to these regulations and other directives issued by the CMC,
                        U.S. Navy Regulations and Department of Defense directives, State and Federal
                        laws have also been promulgated which pertain to Armed Forces uniforms.
                        Portions of these regulations, directives, and laws that are applicable to
                        Marine Corps personnel, or to Marine Corps uniforms, are contained in this
                        chapter.
                        2. No attempt has been made to excerpt or interpret the laws of any State.
                        Commanders are responsible for becoming acquainted with and publicizing any
                        State law that may affect the administration of their commands.
                        11001. U.S. NAVY REGULATIONS PERTAINING TO UNIFORMS
                        1. Article 1161 states that regulation clothing will not be disposed of
                        except when authorized by proper authority; and that no enlisted person will
                        possess, without proper permission, any clothing articles belonging to any
                        other person in the naval service.
                        2. Articles 1245 and 1251 indicate what uniforms are required in connection
                        with official visits.
                        3. Articles 1286 and 1289 set forth the requirements for the wearing of the
                        mourning badge.
                        11002. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE DIRECTIVES PERTAINING TO UNIFORMS
                        1. Implementing 10 U.S.C. 772, the President, by Executive Order 10554 of 18
                        August 1954, delegated to the Secretary of Defense the authority to prescribe
                        regulations under which persons may wear the uniform. The following excerpts
                        from DoD Directive 1334.1 of 11 August 1969 outline these regulations:
                        a. Members of the Armed Forces (including retired members and members of
                        reserve components). The wearing of the uniform is prohibited under any of
                        the following circumstances:
                        (1) At any meeting or demonstration which is a function of, or
                        sponsored by an organization, association, movement, group, or combination of
                        persons which the Attorney General of the United States has designated,
                        pursuant to E.O. 10450, as amended as totalitarian, fascist, communist, or
                        subversive, or as having adopted a policy of advocating or approving the
                        commission of acts of force or violence to deny others their rights under The
                        Constitution of the United States, or as seeking to alter the form of
                        Government of the United States by unconstitutional means.
                        (2) During or in connection with the furtherance of political
                        activities, private employment or commercial interests, when an inference of
                        official sponsorship for the activity or interest could be drawn.
                        (3) Except when authorized by competent Service authority, when
                        participating in activities such as public speeches, interviews, picket
                        lines, marches, rallies or any public demonstration (including those
                        pertaining to civil rights), which may imply Service sanction of the cause
                        for which the demonstration or activity is conducted.
                        (4) When wearing of the uniform would tend to bring discredit upon
                        the Armed Forces.
                        (5) When specifically prohibited by regulations of the department
                        concerned.
                        b. Former Members of the Armed Forces. Unless qualified under another
                        provision of this Order or under the provisions of 10 U.S.C. 772, former
                        members who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose
                        most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the
                        uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only upon the
                        following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:
                        (1) Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.
                        (2) Parades on national or state holidays; or other parades or
                        ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any active or reserve United
                        States military unit are taking part. ‘Wearing of the uniform or any part
                        thereof at any other time or for any purpose is prohibited.’
                        c. Medal of Honor Holders. Persons who have been awarded the Medal of
                        Honor may wear the uniform at their pleasure except under the circumstances
                        set forth in Subsection a., above."
                        2. Pursuant to DoD Instruction 5410.20, unauthorized use of approved Marine
                        Corps uniform emblems or insignia on civilian attire, or other non-uniform
                        attire, is prohibited.
                        3. The President, by Executive Order 10113 of 24 February 1950, delegated to
                        the Secretary of Defense the authority to prescribe the quantity and kind of
                        clothing that shall be furnished to enlisted Marines, or the cash allowance
                        to be provided in lieu thereof. Department of Defense Directive 1338.18 of
                        29 Jul 85 outlines the policies and regulations pertaining thereto.
                        11003. SECRETARY OF THE NAVY POLICY PERTAINING TO UNIFORMS
                        1. Pursuant to subparagraph 11002.1a(5), the Secretary of the Navy has
                        prescribed that:
                        a. The exercise of the rights of freedom of speech and assembly does not
                        include the right to borrow the inherent dignity, prestige, and traditions
                        represented by uniforms of the naval service to lend weight and significance
                        to privately held convictions on public issues.
                        b. Members of the Navy and Marine Corps (including retired members and
                        members of Reserve components) are prohibited from wearing uniforms of the
                        naval service while attending or participating in, or continuing to attend or
                        participate in, a demonstration, assembly, or activity with knowledge that a
                        purpose of such demonstration, assembly, or activity is the furtherance of
                        personal or partisan views on political, social, economic, or religious
                        issues except:
                        (1) In connection with official duties or as otherwise authorized in
                        advance by competent authority; or
                        (2) Incident to attendance at or participation in a bona fide
                        religious service or observance.
                        c. Authorization to wear the uniform should be granted by a commanding
                        officer when reasonably assured that the service member's appearance in
                        uniform at the particular event, viewed objectively, is not for the purpose
                        of lending substantial weight or significance to privately held convictions
                        or interests; would not be so construed by an observer; and that the
                        demonstration, assembly, or activity does not relate to matters in public
                        controversy.
                        2. To implement 10 U.S.C 773, the Secretary of the Navy has prescribed the
                        following distinctive mark for wear by members of military societies which
                        are composed entirely of honorably discharged officers and enlisted
                        personnel, or by the instructors and members of duly organized cadet corps.
                        a. The distinctive mark will be a diamond, 3-1/2 inches long by two
                        inches wide, of any cloth material. A white distinctive mark will be worn on
                        blue, green, or khaki clothing; and a blue distinctive mark will be worn on
                        white clothing.
                        b. The distinctive mark will be worn on all outer clothing on the right
                        sleeve, at the point of the shoulder, the upper tip of the diamond to be 1/4
                        inch below the shoulder seam.
                        11004. LAWS PERTAINING TO THE UNIFORM
                        1. Per 10 U.S.C. 771, no person, unless otherwise authorized by law, may
                        wear the uniform or a distinctive part of the uniform of which is similar to
                        a distinctive part of the Marine Corps uniform.
                        2. According to 18 U.S.C. 702, whoever wears the Marine Corps uniform
                        without authority, in any place within the jurisdiction of the United States
                        will be fined not more than $250 or imprisoned not more than six months, or
                        both.
                        3. According to 10 U.S.C. 772, the Marine Corps uniform may be worn by
                        personnel not on active duty under the following conditions:
                        a. Retired Marine Corps officers may bear the title and wear the uniform
                        of their retired grade.
                        b. Former Marines who are discharged honorably or under honorable
                        conditions from the Marine Corps may wear their uniform while going from the
                        place of discharge to their home of record, within three months after
                        discharge.
                        c. Former Marines not on active duty who served honorably in time of war
                        in the Marine Corps may bear the title, and as authorized by regulations
                        prescribed by the President, wear the uniform of the highest grade held
                        during that war (subparagraph 11002.1).
                        d. While portraying a member of the Marine Corps, an actor in a
                        theatrical or motion picture production may wear the Marine Corps uniform
                        provided the portrayal does not tend to discredit the Marine Corps.
                        e. While attending a course of military instruction conducted by the
                        Marine Corps, a civilian may wear the uniform prescribed by the commander of
                        the installation conducting the instruction.
                        4. According to 10 U.S.C. 773, a person for whom one of the following
                        uniforms is prescribed may wear it, if it includes distinctive insignia
                        prescribed by the Secretary of the military department concerned to
                        distinguish it from the uniform of the Marine Corps (subparagraph 11003.2).
                        a. The uniform prescribed by the university, college, or school for an
                        instructor or member of the organized cadet corps of:
                        (1) A State university or college, or a public high school, having a
                        regular course of military instruction.
                        (2) An educational institution having a regular course of military
                        instruction, and having a member of the Marine Corps as instructor of
                        military science and tactics.
                        b. A uniform prescribed under subparagraph 11004.4a, above, may not
                        include insignia of grade the same as, or similar to, those prescribed for
                        Marine Corps officers.
                        c. Under such regulations as the secretary of the military department
                        concerned may prescribe, any person who is permitted to attend a course of
                        instruction prescribed for members of Reserve Officers' Training Corps, and
                        who is not a member of that corps, may, while attending that course of
                        instruction, wear the uniform of that corps.
                        5. According to 18 U.S.C. 244, whoever, being a proprietor, manager, or
                        employee of a theater or other public place of entertainment or amusement in
                        the District of Columbia or in any territory, or possession of the United
                        States, causes any person wearing the uniform of any of the Armed Forces of
                        the United States to be discriminated against because of that uniform, shall
                        be fined not more than $500.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                          It's more a case of "You all thought I'd never make anything of my life, look at me now ha ha ha!"
                          Oh, hell yeah, I would totally flaunt it.
                          But that would be me.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            Oh, hell yeah, I would totally flaunt it.
                            But that would be me.
                            "And I'm married to a beautiful woman who loves me to bits! Ha ha ha!" just to rub salt in the wound.
                            sigpic

Comment

Isn't that what highschool reunions are all about?

Comment

Are they? I've no idea. Never been to any of mine.

My 25th would've been in 2011, and the 30th was last year.

Probably wouldn't have gone anyway. With one or two exceptions, the people I was in school with were a bunch of a-holes.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X