Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They wouldn't keep the gateway hanging about, risking anyone to figure it out on their own and coming through.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thinking of giving my OC a hobby.

Does the team think that visiting war memorials and taking pictures of them would be considered weird/creepy?
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

If part of the hobby is military history, then not at all. I would imagine that your OC would research what battles the memorials commemorate as well as any significance that particular battle had on the larger conflict it was a part of.
        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Partly it's military history, and partly it's to see if he can find any obscure family members.

It's kind of based on something my late father would do (much to mum's annoyance) when we went on holiday. He'd wander round old churchyards and cemeteries etc. looking for people who we may or may not be related to.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
            Does the team think that visiting war memorials and taking pictures of them would be considered weird/creepy?
            If that's considered weird and/or creepy then I'm in big trouble... cause I do that all the time when I'm on holiday. Especially when I see beautiful tombstones or engravings on tombstones.

I mean I have a whole album on the war memorials and commonwealth graveyards around Ypres.

Comment

Geneology & military history are both common hobbies, as is taking rubbings (photos being a modern version?) of interesting tombstones. I don't think most people would find them creepy.

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Supplementary question for the military history buffs (which only just occurred to me, and is useful background for my OC's family) - at any point during the WWII campaign in Normandy did the 101st Airborne come into contact with any Scottish Infantry Regiments?
                sigpic

Comment

As far as I can research the 101st did not meet up with any British Army units during combat operations of its Normandy campaign. The 101st after D-Day were primarily involved in battles around the town of Carentan after which they were withdrawn to England to prepare for what would become Operation Market Garden.

There is a small window of opportunity that as the 101st withdrew from the front lines to a secure area by the beach they may have come across some freshly landed British units sent to reinforce/relieve units which took part in Operation Overlord.
                  No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                  It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Does anyone know what the procedure is for an officer resigning their commission?
                    sigpic

Comment

My stargate canon knowledge has failed me! Is anybody aware of any instance in any of the three shows when a stargate was taken offline and could not be dialled but was not damaged or buried?

EDIT: BruTak, did you find what you needed about resigning a commission? What I've found suggests that basically the officer must have met the minimum service requirement for his commission unless he is resigning for religious reasons or under some circumstances can pay back the cost of training him, then gives a letter of resignation to his commander stating why he is resigning his commission.
                      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Stargates have been covered with a stone cover in order to make dialling in impossible. Technically that's not burying it. Any other instance, I know that in Atlantis they took the dialing chrystals from the DHD so that dialing out became impossible to do.

Comment

In Deadman Switch Aris Boch claims to have disabled the DHD.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

One for the Trekkies - Supposing that when she grew up, Molly O'Brien joined Starfleet. Would she be an engineer like her father, a botanist like her mother, or would she follow her own path?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Stargates have been covered with a stone cover in order to make dialling in impossible. Technically that's not burying it. Any other instance, I know that in Atlantis they took the dialing chrystals from the DHD so that dialing out became impossible to do.
                              Originally posted by Britta View Post
                              In Deadman Switch Aris Boch claims to have disabled the DHD.
                              My mistake, I should have specified dialling in. Can a stargate basically be taken offline as far as the rest of the network is concerned without burying or covering it?

For plot purposes it seems I'm probably going to have to write this in anyway as I can't find a way around it, I was just really hoping there was a precedent in canon.
                              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                                My mistake, I should have specified dialling in. Can a stargate basically be taken offline as far as the rest of the network is concerned without burying or covering it?

For plot purposes it seems I'm probably going to have to write this in anyway as I can't find a way around it, I was just really hoping there was a precedent in canon.
                                I suppose it is possible to fiddle with the crystals in the DHD, whether it be reconfiguring the stargate to take it out of the network for a while, or - as Falcon Horus states above - removing one or more crystals in order to disable the gate. Cannot recall the specific episodes, but I believe both McKay and Carter have changed the configurations of various stargates.

EDIT: Depending on your story angle and what kind of access to technology the characters have, it should also be possible to simply move the stargate so that the gate coordinates won't match. Also, you have the Avenger virus that the SGC sent to Ba'al's planet in 7x09 that scrambled the DHD. Maybe it's possible to modify it?
                                Last edited by neela; 20 October 2015, 08:18 AM.
                                "If I should die, think only this of me: / That there's some corner of a foreign field / That is forever [Earth]."
                                Earth is gone, but Atlantis must survive... Apoca!fic. Post-Season 5. John/Sam.

Comment

Working...
                                X