This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fems View Post
    You might have more luck in the GLBT thread with that question...
    I realise everyone's different, but for my purposes, Falcon Horus has answered my question to my satisfaction.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Aviation question for those in the know: for a non-Stargate present day original sci-fi story I'm working on I need to get an untrained, non-military character from Edwards AFB in California to Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Alaska in the absolute shortest possible time.

I've considered putting her in the rear seat of a two seater supersonic jet such as an F-15E or F-16D but I'm aware that even under ideal conditions these aircraft cannot remain supersonic for long due to fuel stores and engine issues, but assuming the situation is so severe that the USAF is willing to wreck a multi-million dollar combat aircraft if it will get this civilian expert to Elmendorf... what aircraft is the best choice and what kind of performance could it manage?
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

How about a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird?
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

I agree with BruTak the SR-71 is about the only supercruise (defined as the ability of an aircraft to sustain speeds above Mach 1 for extended periods of time) platform capable of carrying a second person in the USAF inventory.

The USAF does have a currently operational supercruise capable aircraft, the F-22 Raptor, but every Raptor built is a single-seater, there are no two-seat trainers. Pilots learn the plane in a simulator and the first time they strap-on a Raptor they solo.

One thing to remember is that all of the Lockheed Blackbirds are retired and would take months to restore to flying condition. They required a special fuel that no other aircraft used and the U-2s and UAVs were a lot cheaper to operate.

There is speculation that the follow-on manned bomber from the B-2 (if there ever is one) will trade some stealth for supercruise capability. So if your story allows you could use a prototype of one those bombers.
          No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
          It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

It seems with further research that (for now at least) the best solution is simply a business jet, most likely a Gulfstream G650 as these are built to cruise at very high subsonic speed for thousands of miles whereas the fighters cruise at lower speeds and can only make short supersonic dashes likely punctuated by regular refuellings.

It's not technically a USAF asset but I imagine its also probably not impossible to come by in the LA area either...

It doesn't have the same 'punch' as "Ma'am, there's no time, we need you to climb in the back of this fighter jet NOW", but hey ho, I'm the one who wanted to aim for realism and accuracy...

Thanks for your replies guys.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
              It seems with further research that (for now at least) the best solution is simply a business jet, most likely a Gulfstream G650 as these are built to cruise at very high subsonic speed for thousands of miles whereas the fighters cruise at lower speeds and can only make short supersonic dashes likely punctuated by regular refuellings.

It's not technically a USAF asset but I imagine its also probably not impossible to come by in the LA area either...

It doesn't have the same 'punch' as "Ma'am, there's no time, we need you to climb in the back of this fighter jet NOW", but hey ho, I'm the one who wanted to aim for realism and accuracy...

Thanks for your replies guys.
              There is one more business jet you can look at: Cessna Citation X. It goes Mach 0.935 VS the Gulfstream's 0.925.

It you want something more military, the fastest military transport craft to my knowledge is the C141 Starlifter with a cruise speed of 900 kmh.

sigpic
              Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
              https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Here you go Sealurk:
                http://www.lockheedmartin.com.au/us/...fications.html

http://www.distancefromto.net/distan...rnia/to/Alaska

http://www.travelmath.com/flying-tim...rnia/to/Alaska

If you refuel mid air, you are looking at around 1 hour 40 mins
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Hey there,

I'm finally finishing up a fic that I started writing three years ago (never published), but after taking a pretty lengthy break from Stargate, I've found that I've forgotten many details, ex. when does Jack stop calling Daniel "Danny"?

More specifically I was wondering about the locker rooms at Cheyenne mountain. I remember that in one episode, Vala strolled into what looked like a Men's only locker room, but for some reason I remember that in the earlier seasons, the men and women had to take turns?? Or the locker room has designated times for male and female personnel. This sounds ridiculous and likely not true; I don't even know what that's based on (fanfic probably). Does anyone know what the locker room situation was mid-series just to make sure?

I had forgotten how hard it is to write in Teal'c's voice; I keep feeling bad for giving him so few lines, but when I try to picture his reaction to something, it's usually just him giving a small bow and slight smile.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comment

Ok, going from memory (it's been a while since I've watched any Stargate as well), you might be getting the locker rooms (with showers etc.) mixed up with the Gear Up Room (where the team's weapons and equipment is stored).
                    sigpic

Comment

The facilities of the SGC were converted from an ICBM missile silo and attendant facilities and were rather limited at the start thus men and women had to take turns in using the locker room and shower facilities. As they geared up with more SG teams they started converting other parts of the missile complex probably ending up digging new tunnels by season 6 and later.

Comment

Originally posted by Selj View Post
                        Hey there,

I'm finally finishing up a fic that I started writing three years ago (never published), but after taking a pretty lengthy break from Stargate, I've found that I've forgotten many details, ex. when does Jack stop calling Daniel "Danny"?

More specifically I was wondering about the locker rooms at Cheyenne mountain. I remember that in one episode, Vala strolled into what looked like a Men's only locker room, but for some reason I remember that in the earlier seasons, the men and women had to take turns?? Or the locker room has designated times for male and female personnel. This sounds ridiculous and likely not true; I don't even know what that's based on (fanfic probably). Does anyone know what the locker room situation was mid-series just to make sure?

I had forgotten how hard it is to write in Teal'c's voice; I keep feeling bad for giving him so few lines, but when I try to picture his reaction to something, it's usually just him giving a small bow and slight smile.

Watch S1 Ep 7 "cold Lazarus"
                        When the Faux O'neill comes back, Sam reminds him that the locker room has a designated "changeover time" from Male to Female.

As for the scene with Vala.
                        At the point in time she did it, she was in Jacksons body via the comm stones, so everyone just saw Daniel.

To my knowledge, the locker room issue is never brought up again in the series.

Good luck
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Selj View Post
                          Hey there,

The one where Vala walked into the men's shower room (where Cam was standing in front of a mirror, wrapped in a towel, and shaving) was Season 9, Crusade.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                            Ok, going from memory (it's been a while since I've watched any Stargate as well), you might be getting the locker rooms (with showers etc.) mixed up with the Gear Up Room (where the team's weapons and equipment is stored).
                            I hadn't even thought of that!

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                            The facilities of the SGC were converted from an ICBM missile silo and attendant facilities and were rather limited at the start thus men and women had to take turns in using the locker room and shower facilities. As they geared up with more SG teams they started converting other parts of the missile complex probably ending up digging new tunnels by season 6 and later.
                            This definitely makes sense; I think I'm going to write the story as though they had two locker rooms (season 4-7). By then, surely they must have expanded/renovated the complex by then.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            Watch S1 Ep 7 "cold Lazarus"
                            When the Faux O'neill comes back, Sam reminds him that the locker room has a designated "changeover time" from Male to Female.

As for the scene with Vala.
                            At the point in time she did it, she was in Jacksons body via the comm stones, so everyone just saw Daniel.

To my knowledge, the locker room issue is never brought up again in the series.

Good luck
                            Not my imagination then! I vaguely remembered something like that, but I rarely re-watch season 1. Thank you!

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            The one where Vala walked into the men's shower room (where Cam was standing in front of a mirror, wrapped in a towel, and shaving) was Season 9, Crusade.
                            Thanks!

Thank you guys for such quick responses, what a cool resource!

Comment

I have a situation in mind where two SG personnel are in New York on a recon op, they're in civilian clothes and unarmed.

However, their situation becomes such that they need to get arm themselves in a hurry.

I'm assuming they couldn't just show up at a National Guard armoury, flash their military IDs, and procure a couple of pistols and ammunition.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                                I have a situation in mind where two SG personnel are in New York on a recon op, they're in civilian clothes and unarmed.

However, their situation becomes such that they need to get arm themselves in a hurry.

I'm assuming they couldn't just show up at a National Guard armoury, flash their military IDs, and procure a couple of pistols and ammunition.
                                They could do that provided they have written orders with them allowing them to do so.

More likely is that in planning for this op is that they will have a means in place should they need support including weapons such as the written orders above.

Comment

Working...
                                X