This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fems View Post
    Another question: does anyone know when the IOA was officially called the IOA?
    Ok, the boring mundane "real world" explanation is - originally it was to the IOC, International Oversight Committee. But then someone pointed out that it would then share its initials with the real IOC, the International Olympic Committee
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Ok, the boring mundane "real world" explanation is - originally it was to the IOC, International Oversight Committee. But then someone pointed out that it would then share its initials with the real IOC, the International Olympic Committee
      Aha! So, I guess they didn't realize this for years, even though the RL IOC has been in existence for centuries? Thanks for the explanation.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Aha! So, I guess they didn't realize this for years, even though the RL IOC has been in existence for centuries? Thanks for the explanation.
        Well, a century or so.

The International Olympic Committee was founded on the 23rd of June 1894.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

And the IOC is viciously protective of its trademarks (they hate businesses on the Olympic Peninsula--for that matter, they hate the Peninsula itself--because the U.S. lets the businesses use the word Olympic in their names).

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

The US Army has recently updated its policy regarding tattoos etc. I imagine the USAF, USMC, and Navy regs will be fairly similar.

http://www.army.mil/article/122978/A...tattoo_policy/
            sigpic

Comment

I need some help with a story idea for SGA. I have written the outline to the story but I'm struggling with the end. I hope that this is the right thread to ask. I have read that during combat military nurses may take care of injured soldiers on the front line or in the field. Therefore, do you think that the expedition would let a nurses go off-world if there was a good reason to let them off-world? lol, I know it's a silly question but I had to ask because I want to make it as realistic as possible.

Comment

Yes, they would let a field medic go off-world, though this will probably only happen if the injured team can't come back on their own. And more importantly it should be kept in mind that if there are enemy forces threatening the safety of the field medics, then the injured will have to work it out on their own until reinforcements can save the day -- aka Lorne's team.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

This is why my OCs, Team SG-999 were formed. They're the SGC's dedicated combat search and rescue unit.

Think of them as being equal parts SWAT team, paramedic/first responders, and bomb disposal unit and you get the general idea.

Sort of The A-Team meets The Dirty Dozen with just a dash of G.I. Joe.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Caty91 View Post
                    I need some help with a story idea for SGA. I have written the outline to the story but I'm struggling with the end. I hope that this is the right thread to ask. I have read that during combat military nurses may take care of injured soldiers on the front line or in the field. Therefore, do you think that the expedition would let a nurses go off-world if there was a good reason to let them off-world? lol, I know it's a silly question but I had to ask because I want to make it as realistic as possible.
                    Janet Fraiser took a team of medics (presumably one or more were nurses) off-world with her in SG-1's Heroes when there were injured people...
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Janet Fraiser took a team of medics (presumably one or more were nurses) off-world with her in SG-1's Heroes when there were injured people...
                      Little good that did her...

Comment

Presumably a course in basic field medicine would be standard training for SG team members.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                          Presumably a course in basic field medicine would be standard training for SG team members.
                          Yes, Sam mentioned she has "medical field training" in Nemesis.
                          On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Well, she did try to help Jack when they got stranded in Solitudes -- was it Solitudes? The one where they landed in Antarctica?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Well, she did try to help Jack when they got stranded in Solitudes -- was it Solitudes? The one where they landed in Antarctica?
                              Yes, but apparently she sucks at making splints
                              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Yes, but apparently she sucks at making splints
                                Well, that one came back to haunt her when she got stuck in a hole with McKay and Jennifer.

Comment

Working...
                                X