Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seconded, both your universes draw on American military designations.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

alright.... *sits back* now what do i do because the problem that then arises is the Federation has 16 rank level (not counting sky marshals i think) while the US has 24 not counting the warrant officers?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templat...parative_ranks
      I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
      My Stargate SG1/Starship Toopers (based on Mongoose Publishing work) crossover
      7th Fleet Lost
      http://forums.spacebattles.com/threa...ssover.281314/
      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9110517/1/7th-Fleet-Lost

Comment

How are the ranks a problem? If you've been using the US Navy as a model all along (and not the rankings of the people attached to each show with that show's ranking), then how is there any confusion?
        Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

ahhh who knows why my mind just want's to make it a problem because i was giving what i hope will be in the spoiler and it seems like there a few ranks that are not the equivalent of Navy, i'm mean WING commander what am i post to do with that.also planning on doing a big rewrite when i get my Beta/ co wrighter / what ever happens i figured i get some content straight

Spoiler:
          Cadet (Cdt.): Only used as a brevet rank for recruits during training at the Fleet Academy.

Ensign (Ens.): Automatic rank increase given upon graduation and initial assignment to a duty station aboard a ship or installation.

Mate (Mt.): This rank is indicative of leadership responsibilities within a Fleet vessel. Mates are a unique rank and are given authority over Ensigns assigned to them while answering directly to their commanders, a rank far exceeding their own.

Sub-Lieutenant (Sub-Lt.): Rank provided to Fleet officers placed in the command chain of a ship’s or installation’s decks. This rank is usually appended by adding the deck in question. For instance, a given Fleet officer might be a sub-lieutenant – Deck 12. Sub-lieutenants in charge of multiple related decks hold a position of authority above the Sub-lieutenants of the decks in question. A sub-lieutenant might, for example, be assigned to oversee the engineering decks of a starship.

Master (Mstr.): Not all vessels have a master aboard as part of the command structure. Generally this rank is reserved for combat vessels and Fleet assets which are home to a contingent of Mobile Infantry. Masters act as liaisons to these troops and handle all interactions between troopers and Fleet officers not specifically dealt with by the ship’s captain.

Lieutenant (Lt.): Lieutenant is the lowest rank normally held by bridge crew and denotes flight crew and those with a place in the upper ranks of a vessel or installation’s chain of command. Flight crew and trained pilots have this rank appended to flight lieutenant to indicate their position as bridge crew. This rank is often held by a captain’s first mate or the command staff of an installation not large enough to warrant the presence of a captain.

Wing Commander (Wg. Cdr.): A special rank awarded to flight lieutenants who command a wing of fighters. This rank only really carries any additional authority or responsibility when actually operating within the squadron, otherwise the wing commander is no more or less important than a lieutenant.

Lieutenant Commander (Lt. Cdr.): This rank is bestowed to deserving officers that earn promotions but do not wish to leave their current assignments. Lieutenant commanders are often assigned to important parts of a vessel or installation that a captain wants managed with the level of expertise and experience this rank represents.

Commander (Cdr.): Commanders are technically superiors to any officer on a vessel other than its captain and often have the unique flexibility of being placed in any command role or as a liaison between mates and captains.

Captain (Cpt.): Captains exist to be the commanding officer of a ship or large Fleet complex. Captain is also the honorific given to any officer placed in charge of such a facility by means of losses in battle or other fortunes of war. Captains are the highest rank allowed to permanently command an individual vessel in the Fleet.

Commodore (Com.): Captains promoted to serve the Fleet in an administrative capacity take this rank. This rank places an officer in charge of a Squadron, the designation for any small collective of ships assigned to a given mission for SICON. Commodores are usually given the responsibility of system defense when not part of the main Fleet.

Rear Admiral (Rr. Adml.): These officers are in charge of all the commodores in a single star system or sector of the Federation. They are expected to turn over their previous command to the commanding officer with the most time served in the Squadron or installation in question, but occasionally a Rear Admiral will choose a capable officer farther down the chain of command. While they wield great authority, rear admirals are usually forced to administrate from a permanent base and unable to personally command the vessels and installations their commodore’s control.

Admiral (Adml.): These officers are placed in direct command of a Battle Fleet. In much the same way as generals in the Mobile Infantry form an advisory board for the Sky Marshals; admirals fulfill l the exact same role within the Fleet. When SICON orders a combined operation between both branches of the military, it is the responsibility of Fleet admirals to see that their forces operate with maximum efficiency.

just so you have a comparison and in case you tell e i'm making things way to difficult here the Mobile infantry after a slimming down to the impotent stuff
          Spoiler:
          Rank Structure of the Mobile Infantry, and Military Intelligence

Recruit (Rct.): boot camp only
          Private (Pvt.):
          Lance Corporal (L. Cpl.):
          Corporal (Cpl.): half a Squad
          Sergeant (Sgt.): Squad
          Sergeant Major (Sgt. Maj.): Two squads
          Officers
          Lieutenant Third Class (Lt. 3rd): Two squads
          Lieutenant Second Class (Lt. 2nd): Platoon
          Lieutenant First Class (Lt.): Platoon
          Captain (Cpt.): Company
          Major (Maj.): Battalion
          Lieutenant Colonel (Lt. Col.): Regiment
          Colonel (Col.): Brigade
          General (Gen.): Division
          7th Fleet Lost

Comment

Just cut the ranks that have no direct correlation. That does not mean they don't exist if you need them, but you don't really need to use them if they make a problem for you.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

hell i just realized what going on it star trek this guy used star trek as the template aaaaaaa*face palms*
              7th Fleet Lost

Comment

i'm to stubborn to fail
                Spoiler:
                Rank Structure of the Fleet and Fleet Engineers
                Cadet (Cdt.): Fleet Academy only
                Petty officer Third class (PO2):
                Petty officer second class (PO2):
                Petty officer first class (PO1): squad
                Master chief Petty Officer of the fleet (MCPON): Platoon
                Officers
                Ensign (Ens.):
                Lieutenant Junior Grade (LTJG) bridge and fighter crew
                Lieutenant (Lt.): Ship
                Lieutenant Commander (Lt. Cdr.): Flotilla
                Commander (Cdr.): Squadron
                Captain (Cpt.): Task group
                Commodore (Com.): Task group
                Rear Admiral (Rr. Adml.): Task Force
                Admiral (Adml.): Battle Fleet,
                7th Fleet Lost

Comment

Anyone know any Japanese?

The language that is.
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                  To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                  And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I'm afraid to say I don't know any Japanese...
                    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                    To thy own self... Be true
                    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                      Anyone know any Japanese?

The language that is.
                      My SIL might--she taught English to Japanese students while living in Japan for a couple of years, but that was probably a decade ago. I can find out for you.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

For my own question--does anyone know if doctor/patient confidentiality extends past death? Say a husband dies and there's something a wife should know, but it's not life-threatening--would a doctor or nurse volunteer the info? Would they be jeopardizing their job to do so?
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                          My SIL might--she taught English to Japanese students while living in Japan for a couple of years, but that was probably a decade ago. I can find out for you.
                          Groovy.

It's a couple of individual words, and a few phrases that I need.
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                            For my own question--does anyone know if doctor/patient confidentiality extends past death? Say a husband dies and there's something a wife should know, but it's not life-threatening--would a doctor or nurse volunteer the info? Would they be jeopardizing their job to do so?
                            I direct quoted your question on Facebook and here's an answer from a doctor:

Still would be a breach of HIPPA
                            An answer from a home health care worker:

Not if is a suspected homicide. Beyond that I don't know.
                            Also, I received answers from people who don't know anything about anything. :/ If I get more feedback from other medical pros in the family and friends list, I shall let you know!

EDIT: From a long-time (now Hospice) nurse:

You keep confidentially trusted information protected always. Even after death.
                            Last edited by Amara D'Angeli; 08 March 2014, 11:23 AM.
                            Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                              Groovy.

It's a couple of individual words, and a few phrases that I need.
                              Haven't heard back from her yet--weekends are busy for her, as she's heavily involved in her church.

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
                              I direct quoted your question on Facebook and here's an answer from a doctor:

An answer from a home health care worker:

Also, I received answers from people who don't know anything about anything. :/ If I get more feedback from other medical pros in the family and friends list, I shall let you know!

EDIT: From a long-time (now Hospice) nurse:
                              Dang it, dang it, dang it! I thought so, but I was afraid of that. No worries, the muse is working on another route.
                              sigpic

Comment

How many troops in full battle rattle could get in the back of a Puddle Jumper?

Ten? Twelve?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X