This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L4 of the WEST View Post
    hmm... i'm just going to take a look at the US nevy and see how there system works it was kinda what i was doing before but now i have terms to work with

yeah i think i'll meet my self half way and make it 3 light years per hour for most federation ship, for comparison a 304 goes 5,952 light years per hour.. what the heck? i just did the math on this number and if this is right they could cross the milky way in 17 hours... sigh dose anyone have the right number?

hmm you know i'm not sure what term to use
    i mean i' using codex for the the timeline, ranks, ships, and guns and armor (with the other 5 races info to be added later) but i have been thinking i would use the term series bible to describe the info on plot points and secretes i have in the works that i would be giving my beta.

edit
    ahh i finally have a speed for the terran ship and now i fine that ether stargate ships are much slower which is the upset of what i wanted it to be and that the 303 is faster then the 304 on the wiki... am i going to have to make up the numbers for them to?

edit of edit
    11 years that how long it would take to get across the milky way using the number i just found and beefed up from 25% the speed of light to full speed of light on the wiki... you there *point randomly* in your opinion who long would it take for the 303 when it first came online to get across the milky way.
    by using the milky way (100,000) as one point of reference and the distance to the Pegasus as another (3,000,000) i have found that
    A i hate math when is destroys a universe in sci fi
    B assuming that it can take 30 days to cross the milky way at a speed of 130 Ly/hr you can reach the Pegasus in the same time frame assuming there a empty space multiplier of 30
    C i hate math when is destroys a universe in sci fi
    there a 15 or more multiplier for hyperspace out side of galaxies that the only way the numbers i found can work... so dose gravity affect hyperspace? is there dark energy in the void that speeds it up? what do you think?
    Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
    You might want to take these questions over to the fic help thread. There are many people over there who have probably asked (and answered) just such questions.
    ...help...* falls over from headaches turning into migraines *
    I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    My Stargate SG1/Starship Toopers (based on Mongoose Publishing work) crossover
    7th Fleet Lost
    http://forums.spacebattles.com/threa...ssover.281314/
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9110517/1/7th-Fleet-Lost

Comment

I, as I have already said on another thread, have a simple theory on Hyperspace.
      It just works. No need for any Math at any time.

But then again there are many different types of 'Stardrive' out there.
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

yeah it works when your dealing with other Hyper drives but i have to deal with the Cherenkov Drive which is a different animal all together
        7th Fleet Lost

Comment

yeah it works when your dealing with other Hyper drives but i have to deal with the Cherenkov Drive which is a different animal all together
          Did Heinlein ever go into details about the Drive he employed L4?
          If not, why do you *as a fan-fic writer* feel the need to?

Just employ the Auld scifi adage, write what you want, let the geeks figure it out
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Did Heinlein ever go into details about the Drive he employed L4?
            If not, why do you *as a fan-fic writer* feel the need to?

Just employ the Auld scifi adage, write what you want, let the geeks figure it out
            yeah he didn't but i'm using the mongoose publishing miniature/roleplay/comicbook universe that was based of the tv show, the move, and the book and those guys gave a speed. a speed i did not fine till i started to get ready for a re wright but a speed non the less of at least 3 light years an hour(i may have beefed it up from a day) depending on fuel supplies and the interferences of gravity.

from the codex i have under production
            Cherenkov Drive
            The main form of FTL is called the Cherenkov Drive and relies on a form of magnetic phase shift that protects a vessel and insulates it from the mass-increasing effects of relativistic speeds in physical space. In effect, Cherenkov-equipped vessels travel through space without actually being physically in it. Only gravity can affect a Terran Federation ship and this often results in the ship having to ether go around the area or reduce speed greatly.
            and i can't, i do that again. at first i had the number at 80... because i had that 6000 number for the tau'ri but after looking it over both number are ridiculous. all i really know is i wanted the Terran to be slower then the tau'ri so they could not just go to earth and nuke it into submission (their nukes are light on radiation )

how about this, how long would it take a 303 with out a zpm cross across the milky way.(mouths, days, or years) give me that and i can do all the numbers from there
            7th Fleet Lost

Comment

yeah he didn't but i'm using the mongoose publishing miniature/roleplay/comicbook universe that was based of the tv show, the move, and the book and those guys gave a speed. a speed i did not fine till i started to get ready for a re wright but a speed non the less of at least 3 light years an hour(i may have beefed it up from a day) depending on fuel supplies and the interferences of gravity.
              Oh dear.
              If you want to look at a RPG system for your calculations, may I recommend instead the one used by Last Unicorn Games for their Star trek games. They are better explained than what you would find in anything made by mongoose. Yes, they operate under ST warp engine "lore", but they can give you speeds that would be consistant with what you seem to be after.

from the codex i have under production

and i can't, i do that again. at first i had the number at 80... because i had that 6000 number for the tau'ri but after looking it over both number are ridiculous. all i really know is i wanted the Terran to be slower then the tau'ri so they could not just go to earth and nuke it into submission (their nukes are light on radiation )
              Terran/Tau'ri?
              Is this a SG/Starship Troopers blend?
              If so, I really recommend you find 2 members here, Darth Timon and Rise of the Pheonix as both have a far better grasp than I on this kind of "space mash up" Killman as well has a far more grounded physics knowledge than I, or most writers here (perhaps) have.

how about this, how long would it take a 303 with out a zpm cross across the milky way.(mouths, days, or years) give me that and i can do all the numbers from there
              Well, lets do the numbers.
              Distance to Pegusus: roughly 3 million light years.
              Distance from Earth to edge of the MW: roughly 100k light years.
              Time to get to Pegasus from Earth: Roughly 30 days.

That gives you an "average speed" of 100k light years a day, or roughly 4170 light years an hour, 69.5 LY a minute and 1.16 LY a second
              sigpic

Comment

Oh dear.
                If you want to look at a RPG system for your calculations, may I recommend instead the one used by Last Unicorn Games for their Star trek games. They are better explained than what you would find in anything made by mongoose. Yes, they operate under ST warp engine "lore", but they can give you speeds that would be consistant with what you seem to be after.
                ahh yeah i did try and look and star teck numbers... i found it to be the most confusing thing i have ever read... but maybe that will be better as i'm pretty sure all i was looking at was a show scale. hmm? have you seen other work by mongoose?

Terran/Tau'ri?
                Is this a SG/Starship Troopers blend?
                If so, I really recommend you find 2 members here, Darth Timon and Rise of the Pheonix as both have a far better grasp than I on this kind of "space mash up" Killman as well has a far more grounded physics knowledge than I, or most writers here (perhaps) have.
                it a starship troopers crossover not blend basic plot is 8 confirmed ships from the eastern front or the 7th fleet which is in a state of cold war end up in the stargate universe thanks the forth (half asgard half snake) who attack their battle fleet with a realty bending weapon.

Well, lets do the numbers.
                Distance to Pegusus: roughly 3 million light years.
                Distance from Earth to edge of the MW: roughly 100k light years.
                Time to get to Pegasus from Earth: Roughly 30 days.

That gives you an "average speed" of 100k light years a day, or roughly 4170 light years an hour, 69.5 LY a minute and 1.16 LY a second
                hmm
                according to what i found the milky way is only 100k in diemiter so if i pop that number in i get
                4170*24=100080= 100000/100080=0.9992... 23 hours that how long it would take them to get from one side of the milky way to that other, and that just seems wrong.
                7th Fleet Lost

Comment

ahh yeah i did try and look and star teck numbers... i found it to be the most confusing thing i have ever read... but maybe that will be better as i'm pretty sure all i was looking at was a show scale. hmm? have you seen other work by mongoose?
                  Yup, been a roleplayer for 30+ years, If I know nothing else, I know games and their systems and how they function. Mongoose tends to the fluff, which is good for a "old Skool gamer" (like me) when it used your imagination to fill in the blanks. More modern game systems tend to be far more rigid as they have adopted "game theory" rather than pure imaginative works.
                  (Nothing wrong with game theory mind you, it's a fascinating branch of psychology and work)

it a starship troopers crossover not blend basic plot is 8 confirmed ships from the eastern front or the 7th fleet which is in a state of cold war end up in the stargate universe thanks the forth (half asgard half snake) who attack their battle fleet with a realty bending weapon.
                  OK, so they have their tech VS "Stargate tech"
                  I feel sorry for them, cause they are gonna get boned at every turn because SG tech is so monumentally flawed it's not funny. They have *INSANE* speed via subspace (SG), but in the "real world" they are pathetically underpowered.
                  Again, I would ask Darth Timon, Rise of the phoenix, Killman or Mr Oreghan on their thoughts on this as they do have the tech backgrounds, or knowledge to "get it right", which is what you seem to be after here.

hmm
                  according to what i found the milky way is only 100k in diemiter so if i pop that number in i get
                  4170*24=100080= 100000/100080=0.9992... 23 hours that how long it would take them to get from one side of the milky way to that other, and that just seems wrong.
                  Nope, at the speeds you are talking, it's dead on right.
                  NOW
                  could you argue that you cannot go at such speeds in the confines of a *galaxy* due to random particles, shield requirements. etc etc, then sure, you can and put hyperspace in the crossing of the "galactic voids" at an even faster pace.
                  Pulling random numbers that are easy.............
                  It takes 7 days to get to the edge of the MWG due to matter constraints and 7 days to get from the edge of pegusus to say Atlantis. on an average trip then, you have a mere 16 days to cover the roughly 3 million LY of the "gulf between galaxies" to cover, meaning you are going............. VERY fast in that time period. The math may seem "off" to you, but that is what you are left with.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yup, been a roleplayer for 30+ years, If I know nothing else, I know games and their systems and how they function. Mongoose tends to the fluff, which is good for a "old Skool gamer" (like me) when it used your imagination to fill in the blanks. More modern game systems tend to be far more rigid as they have adopted "game theory" rather than pure imaginative works.
                    (Nothing wrong with game theory mind you, it's a fascinating branch of psychology and work)
                    yeah i was more into the mini... i only got the books because i thought it would have fluff i could use which it did a good time line to work with, pistols and and how the ships push them selves though space

OK, so they have their tech VS "Stargate tech"
                    I feel sorry for them, cause they are gonna get boned at every turn because SG tech is so monumentally flawed it's not funny. They have *INSANE* speed via subspace (SG), but in the "real world" they are pathetically underpowered.
                    Again, I would ask Darth Timon, Rise of the phoenix, Killman or Mr Oreghan on their thoughts on this as they do have the tech backgrounds, or knowledge to "get it right", which is what you seem to be after here.
                    (book marking page so he has there names)
                    yeah it actually a lot more equal then you think, i mean the speed is something the Terran federation would love dearly and shield tech to but they have anti plasma armor by this time (20 years in to the bug war) thanks to their experiences with plasma bugs so they can take a hit from goa'uld weapons and they have ship mounted lazier cannon to fight back with.
                    also chapter 7 and 10 sorta even the odds for both tua'ri and Terran respectively

Nope, at the speeds you are talking, it's dead on right.
                    NOW
                    could you argue that you cannot go at such speeds in the confines of a *galaxy* due to random particles, shield requirements. etc etc, then sure, you can and put hyperspace in the crossing of the "galactic voids" at an even faster pace.
                    Pulling random numbers that are easy.............
                    It takes 7 days to get to the edge of the MWG due to matter constraints and 7 days to get from the edge of pegusus to say Atlantis. on an average trip then, you have a mere 16 days to cover the roughly 3 million LY of the "gulf between galaxies" to cover, meaning you are going............. VERY fast in that time period. The math may seem "off" to you, but that is what you are left with.
                    hmm something like this?
                    cross MWG 550*24/100000= 7
                    Cross void 550*14*24/3000000= 16
                    7th Fleet Lost

Comment

yeah i was more into the mini... i only got the books because i thought it would have fluff i could use which it did a good time line to work with, pistols and and how the ships push them selves though space
                      Old skool TTWG as well, from 3rd Ed Warhammer, Traveller, Battletech (original FASA days) and so on, We are speaking the same gamer language here

yeah it actually a lot more equal then you think, i mean the speed is something the Terran federation would love dearly and shield tech to but they have anti plasma armor by this time (20 years in to the bug war) thanks to their experiences with plasma bugs so they can take a hit from goa'uld weapons and they have ship mounted lazier cannon to fight back with.
                      Again, this is where you get into "universe disparities" in actual protection and firepower. Some would argue that the entire Goa'uld fleet could fire on the Enteprise and give it no more than a tickle, and a stray shot from a Quantum torpedo would wipe the Anubis mothership clean off the board. This level of "physics sense" is beyond a simple gamer such as I.

also chapter 7 and 10 sorta even the odds for both tua'ri and Terran respectively

hmm something like this?
                      cross MWG 550*24/100000= 7
                      Cross void 550*14*24/3000000= 16
                      If the Math works for you, sure. As long as you can logically define the disparities in speed, I would say you are all good
                      sigpic

Comment

Old skool TTWG as well, from 3rd Ed Warhammer, Traveller, Battletech (original FASA days) and so on, We are speaking the same gamer language here
                        hmm i did more of lord of the rings, legends of the old west and high seas and the starship troopers so i have no idea about traveller... battletech and warhammer i know enough about to understand it.

Again, this is where you get into "universe disparities" in actual protection and firepower. Some would argue that the entire Goa'uld fleet could fire on the Enteprise and give it no more than a tickle, and a stray shot from a Quantum torpedo would wipe the Anubis mothership clean off the board. This level of "physics sense" is beyond a simple gamer such as I.
                        ... hmm yeah all i say on that is never going to have something like in my story, kinda like even odds makes thing more interesting.

If the Math works for you, sure. As long as you can logically define the disparities in speed, I would say you are all good
                        YEAH
                        7th Fleet Lost

Comment

so i kinda need help with my fic in a non tech more rank thing would anyone be interested in gving there thoughts if i posted the problem here?
                          7th Fleet Lost

Comment

so i kinda need help with my fic in a non tech more rank thing would anyone be interested in gving there thoughts if i posted the problem here?
                            What do you mean?
                            sigpic

Comment

well i have the ranks for the Mobile infantry from the book now so i can stop looking at the US Marines rank system but the one for the fleet seems asinine and has dead ends when i look at it so i wounder if i should use it or stick to the US navy like i have been doing
                              7th Fleet Lost

Comment

Stick with what you have been doing.
                                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Working...
                                X