X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TragicComedy View Post
    Sheppard.

Everybody loves to whump on him.

The question is how do you feel about killing him?
    I'm a Rodney whumper... but I'd never kill him!

Although I'm not totally anti death fic. I just prefer to read and write in canon. Whumpers get their pleasure from seeing characters helping/comforting the one who has been injured. With death fics it takes away that promise and is a little unsatisfying.
    I have two possible endings. I could kill him (permanently *GASP*) or I could save him in a completely Sci Fi-y way.

I've had ascension and other ideas suggested to me but I'm sticking with one of the two I have planned.

Which would you as a reader be more interested in?

Death or Sci-Fi oooooh/ahhhh-ness?
    No killing! Please, no more! Of course it's up to you and what you would enjoy writing! You should write what you prefer and what you would like to share with the readers
    McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

Sheppard.

Everybody loves to whump on him.

The question is how do you feel about killing him?

I have two possible endings. I could kill him (permanently *GASP*) or I could save him in a completely Sci Fi-y way.

I've had ascension and other ideas suggested to me but I'm sticking with one of the two I have planned.

Which would you as a reader be more interested in?

Death or Sci-Fi oooooh/ahhhh-ness?
      Do whatever best serves the story and makes sense for the plot you have. Answer why and how he dies and then ask yourself, does staying dead best serve that purpose? Or alternatively, does a resurrection cheapen it?

Is the fic about why he dies (to do something, save someone, etc), or that he dies and the result is x (impact on Atlantis, other characters), or that he just simply dies? For the first two a resurrection could possibly lessen the impact of his sacrifice or the loss felt by the other characters.

Alternatively, it is possible to kill and subsequently resurrect someone and it all still works, it just depends how you approach the situation. But if the resurrection doesn't "feel" right, if your first impulse when you created this plot was to kill him dead [forever], then that's the route you should take.

Finally, on a personal note, when I read a fic and someone dies my first thought is "yeah, right." Killing characters and keeping them dead generally isn't done in Stargate fandom; a last minute resurrection is expected. So the more surprising thing, in my opinion, is killing people for real. Readers generally don't see it coming.

In the end you shouldn't let thoughts about how people will react, whether they'll like it or hate it, impact your decision. You're the writer, it's your story, and if you don't write what's best for the plot you are - in my opinion - doing a disservice to both the fic and your readers.

Comment

Originally posted by x Varda x View Post
        I'm a Rodney whumper... but I'd never kill him!

Although I'm not totally anti death fic. I just prefer to read and write in canon. Whumpers get their pleasure from seeing characters helping/comforting the one who has been injured. With death fics it takes away that promise and is a little unsatisfying.

No killing! Please, no more! Of course it's up to you and what you would enjoy writing! You should write what you prefer and what you would like to share with the readers
        Thanks for the vote. So far most people seem to want the Sci Fi-y save.

My story is after canon Atlantis so I don't have to worry with going against that.

Comment

you know, you could write two versions and then see which one you like best.

kill him and leve him dead - although the real angst and drama of the story comes from the fallout and dealing with it

then save him and see how it works

then, honestly, decide which version is the 'best'

at the end of the day, write what you want to write. someone will read it. trust me, no matter what you write, someone will read and love it
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sbz View Post
            Do whatever best serves the story and makes sense for the plot you have. Answer why and how he dies and then ask yourself, does staying dead best serve that purpose? Or alternatively, does a resurrection cheapen it?

Is the fic about why he dies (to do something, save someone, etc), or that he dies and the result is x (impact on Atlantis, other characters), or that he just simply dies? For the first two a resurrection could possibly lessen the impact of his sacrifice or the loss felt by the other characters.

Alternatively, it is possible to kill and subsequently resurrect someone and it all still works, it just depends how you approach the situation. But if the resurrection doesn't "feel" right, if your first impulse when you created this plot was to kill him dead [forever], then that's the route you should take.

Finally, on a personal note, when I read a fic and someone dies my first thought is "yeah, right." Killing characters and keeping them dead generally isn't done in Stargate fandom; a last minute resurrection is expected. So the more surprising thing, in my opinion, is killing people for real. Readers generally don't see it coming.

In the end you shouldn't let thoughts about how people will react, whether they'll like it or hate it, impact your decision. You're the writer, it's your story, and if you don't write what's best for the plot you are - in my opinion - doing a disservice to both the fic and your readers.
            I think this is the best advice I've gotten yet. My first impulse was to kill him dead. I thought of a way to save him later and the idea was intriguing and unique which is mainly the only reason why I'm having issues with whether to save him or not.

My main concern with saving him would be that it would cheapen the storyline. You're right. It is expected that they will either not die or be brought back from the dead one way or the other.

Thank you so much for the insightful questions. It's helped me make my decision, even though the majority of votes have been for the other option.

I'm going to kill Sheppard. (That sounds so evil without the context!)

I think to save him would cheapen the story I have in mind and the emotional effect his death will have on other characters will make for great story telling. Molding and adding another layer of depth to the people who were closest to him.

Also, I can still use the Sci Fi coolness I've thought up - only not have its potential realized until after Sheppard's dead. More angst potential.

Thanks again, sbz. I really shouldn't be surprised you gave such a great answer with the sheer magnitude of your writing ability!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              you know, you could write two versions and then see which one you like best.

kill him and leve him dead - although the real angst and drama of the story comes from the fallout and dealing with it

then save him and see how it works

then, honestly, decide which version is the 'best'

at the end of the day, write what you want to write. someone will read it. trust me, no matter what you write, someone will read and love it
              Thanks, Skydiver. I've kind of "written" them both out in my head already. Reading over yours and sbz's comments helped me reach a decision.

I'm going to kill Sheppard. (It still sounds so evil!)

I think it's the most compelling and interesting of the two stories I have playing out in my head.

Comment

it's kinda fun ot kill the characters.

sometimes i practice 'fic therapy'...got an annoying person in real life, name a character after them and kill them off in a fic

but sometimes, once you kill a character you cross that line and, it's kinda enjoyable. you're no longer bound by the 'must fix them before the end' thing

sigpic

Comment

sometimes i practice 'fic therapy'...got an annoying person in real life, name a character after them and kill them off in a fic

but sometimes, once you kill a character you cross that line and, it's kinda enjoyable. you're no longer bound by the 'must fix them before the end' thing
                  Ahahaha! I may have to take that 'fic therapy' into consideration sometime. Sounds like a great idea!

Comment

I think this is the best advice I've gotten yet. My first impulse was to kill him dead. I thought of a way to save him later and the idea was intriguing and unique which is mainly the only reason why I'm having issues with whether to save him or not.

My main concern with saving him would be that it would cheapen the storyline. You're right. It is expected that they will either not die or be brought back from the dead one way or the other.

Thank you so much for the insightful questions. It's helped me make my decision, even though the majority of votes have been for the other option.

I'm going to kill Sheppard. (That sounds so evil without the context!)

I think to save him would cheapen the story I have in mind and the emotional effect his death will have on other characters will make for great story telling. Molding and adding another layer of depth to the people who were closest to him.

Also, I can still use the Sci Fi coolness I've thought up - only not have its potential realized until after Sheppard's dead. More angst potential.

Thanks again, sbz. I really shouldn't be surprised you gave such a great answer with the sheer magnitude of your writing ability!
                    You're welcome! Happy to help.

I've always thought that killing characters opens a whole other dimension to your story. The idea of a "happy perfect ending" is actually very restrictive and the drive to create it can end up compromising otherwise great fics.

I can't help but have more respect for the fics and writers who dare to really "go there" and make the potentially unpopular decisions becasue they make the most sense for the story. That's the braver thing to do.

Good luck!

Comment

Hehehehe... I like the way you think Although I already do this!
                      Maybe I'll have to go over to the dark side to see what it's like...
                      McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

*evil laugh*

In my fic-verse, poor Jack has died more times than Daniel. Only once was it a misidentification and OUR Jack was still alive.

I really got annoyed at the expected 'happily ever after' endings to ship fics I was reading. I did one that was warm and fuzzy right up until the last page. *evil laugh*

3 Steps Behind
                        You're never too old to do something goofy.
                        sigpic
                        Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

what annoys me even more are those that give me heck and berate me for not ending the fic how THEY wanted it to end

sigpic

Comment

I know. If they wanted a certain story, why didn't THEY write it?
                            You're never too old to do something goofy.
                            sigpic
                            Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

i've asked that very question many times...never got a good answer

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a name for the goa'uld flash-bang grendade things?
                                sigpic
                                Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X