This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    The sheer amount of.... "stuff" that can sneak into a house.
    Better off NOT asking
    My mum lived for three years in Africa and regularly tells me of the snakes, scorpions, giant millipedes and other things that used to work their way inside the house.

Her favourite line in relation to this is "I wasn't afraid of spiders until one brought the cat in".
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by IamDKScully View Post
      Don't forget the black squirrels!!
      Oh, yes, lots of those. Actually, in Lakewood they've sort of been breeding their way west across town for years. Eastern Lakewood has lots of black squirrels, the middle has a more mixed population with lots of hybrids, and the western portion (where I currently live) has mostly gray and reddish ones, with a smaller number of black ones. But the black ones are especially cute. I watched one arguing with a bluejay the other day.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Is it just me, or would The Black Squirrel be a great supervillain name?
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
          Is it just me, or would The Black Squirrel be a great supervillain name?
          It doesn't really put the fear of god in me, but then I saw the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy and there was a raccoon. So maybe...
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            It doesn't really put the fear of god in me, but then I saw the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy and there was a raccoon. So maybe...
            Well, there's a villain called The Red Squirrel who pops up occasionally in "Penguins of Madagascar".

And if there isn't a Rocket Raccoon plush as part of the "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie merchandise, then I'll be sorely disappointed.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

The sheer amount of.... "stuff" that can sneak into a house.
              Better off NOT asking
              I would be utterly appalled; hence, I try not to think about it.

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
              My mum lived for three years in Africa and regularly tells me of the snakes, scorpions, giant millipedes and other things that used to work their way inside the house.

Her favourite line in relation to this is "I wasn't afraid of spiders until one brought the cat in".
              Hubby had a similar saying with the Texas cockroaches. He would tell the story of stomping on one with his Air Force issue, steel-toed boots and having it lift his foot off and say, "Excuse me. I'm trying to eat here."
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I need to poison my female lead: it needs to make her sick enough for medical intervention, but not fatal and not put her out of commission for the remainder of the story.

The antagonist is sneaky: it is a deliberate targeting and the purpose is to strike fear into the heart of the male lead and cause him to retreat to a place of protection (with the female and others he cares about).

I had considered Ricin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricin

Oral exposure to ricin is far less toxic and a lethal dose can be up to 30–40 milligrams per kilogram. ...By ingestion, the pathology of ricin is largely restricted to the gastrointestinal tract, where it may cause mucosal injuries; with appropriate treatment, most patients will make a full recovery.
                ...An antidote has been developed by the UK military, although it has not yet been tested on humans...Another antidote developed by the U.S. military has been shown to be safe and effective in lab mice injected with antibody-rich blood mixed with ricin, and has had some human testing.
                Because it is a relatively easy raw ingredient to come by,

Given ricin's extreme toxicity and utility as an agent of chemical/biological warfare, it is noteworthy that the production of the toxin is rather difficult to limit. The castor bean plant from which ricin is derived is a common ornamental and can be grown at home without any special care, and the major reason ricin is a public health threat is that it is easy to obtain.
                ...and it has the initial terror potential because the injection/inhalation exposure is so toxic (I thought the oral exposure would work to sicken but not kill her).

The only rather...icky part is that it sounds like one of the main symptoms is diarrhea. I don't really want my protagonist dealing with that. Am I being silly?

Am I on a good track here? Can you suggest anything else? BTW: The antagonist is a criminal mastermind that has a crime network that can get him just about ANYTHING.
                sigpic
                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

What about a Warfarin overdose?
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I think these will kill without a doubt but interesting information nonetheless --> 10 poisons used to kill people

More information on ricin poisoning.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

They say poison is often a woman's weapon, rather than a man's... probably because we're all sneaky back-stabbing b*tches and don't just fight it out (and forget about it) like the men do.
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                        They say poison is often a woman's weapon, rather than a man's... probably because we're all sneaky back-stabbing b*tches and don't just fight it out (and forget about it) like the men do.
                        Or maybe you're just more sophisticated...

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                          I need to poison my female lead: it needs to make her sick enough for medical intervention, but not fatal and not put her out of commission for the remainder of the story.

The antagonist is sneaky: it is a deliberate targeting and the purpose is to strike fear into the heart of the male lead and cause him to retreat to a place of protection (with the female and others he cares about).

I had considered Ricin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricin

Because it is a relatively easy raw ingredient to come by,

...and it has the initial terror potential because the injection/inhalation exposure is so toxic (I thought the oral exposure would work to sicken but not kill her).

The only rather...icky part is that it sounds like one of the main symptoms is diarrhea. I don't really want my protagonist dealing with that. Am I being silly?

Am I on a good track here? Can you suggest anything else? BTW: The antagonist is a criminal mastermind that has a crime network that can get him just about ANYTHING.
                          Not at all. While we would have sympathy for her, we'd also be going, "Ewwwwww." So, totally understandable. Plus, you probably want something that will weaken her, not make her have to use the bathroom every 10 minutes.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

What you'd want there, is medical grade laxative Sodium picosulfate. Known by the trade name Picolax (among others).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_picosulfate
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
                              Oh, and squirrels.
                              Rats with furry tails.
                              Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                              I had considered Ricin:
                              You probably don't want Ricin. While the ingredients are easy to come by, making the poison is apparently more difficult.

Have you considered nicotine (although that would have to be carefully administered, as it's really toxic)?

Seaboe
                              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

What about a Warfarin overdose?
                                That's less likely to make her sick than to either make her bruise really easily or just kill her from internal bleeding.

(I'm familiar with Warfarin and its effects, having been on it myself in the past.)

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                                sigpic
                                now also appearing on DeviantArt
                                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Working...
                                X