Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for Stargate know-it-alls: was the first name of Sutterfield ("Proving Ground", played by Grace Park) ever mentioned?
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0709150/fullcredits#cast

He had no name, just Lt.

oh and i wasnt refering to SGU, i thought SGU had bits of various SG VS's mixed in, Horizon, Destiny etc...but thought there was one about 9th cheveron and some kind of ancient space station.
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

it's Lt Satterfield and she doesn't have a canon first name (although her 'twin' sister on BSG certainly has enough names for both of them )
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          it's Lt Satterfield and she doesn't have a canon first name (although her 'twin' sister on BSG certainly has enough names for both of them )
          Indeed.

Thanks, both of you.
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Hi folks, I'm working on a long story and have a few questions . . . Who at the SGC (or on earth, for that matter) has the ATA gene naturally? Jack does, is there anyone else that was mentioned? Was anyone on earth given Beckett's gene therapy besides the Atlantis crew?

I haven't seen much of SGA this year but I heard the Asgard made an appearance, yes? Can anyone give me any info on where they came from? Did the planet/colony have a name?

Thanks in advance for the help!
            sigpic
            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

i think there's been no canon mention of who's got the gene, but my money would be on, once beckett found the gene, any member of the SGC being offered the opportunity to take the therapy, thus anyone can have it that you want to have it...and i doubt the show's canon will ever get around to contradicting you

as to the asgard, check out the story info for 'first contact' and 'lost tribe'

they'll fill you in on what info has been given about them

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                Hi folks, I'm working on a long story and have a few questions . . . Who at the SGC (or on earth, for that matter) has the ATA gene naturally? Jack does, is there anyone else that was mentioned? Was anyone on earth given Beckett's gene therapy besides the Atlantis crew?
                Pretty sure O'Neill, Sheppard, and Beckett were the only people we ever saw who carry the gene naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                  Originally posted by sbz View Post
                  Pretty sure O'Neill, Sheppard, and Beckett were the only people we ever saw who carry the gene naturally.
                  And Joe, from "Citizen Joe." So, apparently the gene is rare on earth as well as the Pegasus galaxy, but out there.

For your second question: it seems unlikely to me that the ATA gene therapy would be offered to anyone who wasn't scheduled to be shipped to Atlantis.

As for your question about the Asgard in "First Contact,"
                  Spoiler:
                  Far from the "buddies" we've come to expect from them in "SG-1," they were only interested in the survival of their own race. Not at all nice, uh, people.

Bucky

Comment

Thank for the info, guys. Was it ever mentioned if Hammond had a son or a daughter? I know he had grand daughters.
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

no, never said if his child was his only child or if there were more, just that he has two granddaughters, kayla and tessa

sigpic

Comment

Could you guys assist in clarifying something for me? I'm planning to write a fan-fic shortly and I was unclear on what exactly qualifies for it to be tagged as something?

What I mean is: say if it's set after Eatg and intended to be similar to the show itself, that would mean that McKay and Keller are in the story and are together, but if their relationship won't be going to be focal to the story much at all, Would the story be tagged as "McKeller"?

Hypothetical for example, If Sheppard spends time acknowledging he has/had feelings for Teyla and/or Weir (or whoever) but since Teyla's with Kanaan and Weir is "gone" nothing really comes of it, does that count as either as being a "Sparky" or "Sheyla" tag?

If romance is involved as a sub-plot but not the main one, is that "shipper" fiction?

Is there any definitive guidelines for this? I've never done this before.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                          Could you guys assist in clarifying something for me? I'm planning to write a fan-fic shortly and I was unclear on what exactly qualifies for it to be tagged as something?

What I mean is: say if it's set after Eatg and intended to be similar to the show itself, that would mean that McKay and Keller are in the story and are together, but if their relationship won't be going to be focal to the story much at all, Would the story be tagged as "McKeller"?

Hypothetical for example, If Sheppard spends time acknowledging he has/had feelings for Teyla and/or Weir (or whoever) but since Teyla's with Kanaan and Weir is "gone" nothing really comes of it, does that count as either as being a "Sparky" or "Sheyla" tag?

If romance is involved as a sub-plot but not the main one, is that "shipper" fiction?

Personally, What I would do is add a little description as an intro at the beginning of your first chapter of your story where you like you have done here, explain what your focus points are and what specific elements you bring to the story.

I use FanFiction.Net to distribute my stories and some things you should realize when you use FFN:
                          (Just ignore it, if you already know this, you did not specify this in your question, so adding it anyway.)
                          1. You can only add two genres to your story let's say: SciFi and Drama for example. OR SciFi and Romance or Suspense and Adventure... and so and so... Your choice.
                          2. On the same note you can only add two character tags to your story. Let's say R. McKay and J. Sheppard (or Rodney M. and John S. like FFN would propose.)
                          3. You can only add a little/limited description/summary with which you need to establish important things like heavy focus on a pairing, spoilers and summary.
                          4. There are C2/Communities to which your story can be added. For example if it's heavily focused on McKay/Keller, I after reading it, could add your story to the McKeller C2, as I'm a Staff member there. There are other similar communities for other pairings and genres like Whump.

Look here's a story I'm currently writing where I added a little note at the beginning about the characters/pairing/story elements/spoilers etc. etc.

EDIT/ I do mean the Author's notes not the prologue. That's another thing! There's a double horizontal line and title separating them!

Maybe that's a good example? You decide!

On another note:
                          1. You should distinguish between it being AU or AR (Alternate Universe or Alternate Reality) and it being the general lines of the established canon that you are following. However, seeing as EatG is the last episode, you can pretty much let everything turn out like you want it to. However this will become AU the moment the Atlantis movie comes out. If you're starting where TPTB left of, than this isn't so hard.... IF you're situating your story between two eps then if you want it to be not-AU you'll have to start where they left of and begin again where TPTB start up again. In general. Otherwise you should mark you story with: AU.
                          2. About pairings, only if you focus upon specific pairings you should add a warning in your summary, otherwise I'd solved this by describing it in the introduction like I've done in my story, see above.

Specific answers:

No it would not (EDIT/ sorry, my mistake) need to be tagged McKeller, but IMO you could add a little note in the beginning that you follow the established canon pairing set up by the TPTB. Then add you don't focus on it or if this is the case, that you don't mention it. OR you only just mention them being together and that's all. IMO this will earn you the respect of your readers/audience.

IMO, this depends on the relative percentage of your story goes on about this and how important you feel these elements are.
                          I would say if Sheppard hooks up with Teyla, or if he doesn't but you spend two chapters out of eight on it, you should mark it as Sheyla. Or a combination of these two. How important is it? To you and to the story. And how much 'screen time' does this get?
                          Same goes for Sparky. If you spend 2/8 on it, you should, IMO, mark it as Sparky. You can always add a note above the specific chapters. Anyway, just try to respect your audience I'd say.
                          If you stay true to what has happened in the show, this would not make it an AU. But, for exmaple, there's is no way for you to know if Kanaan/teyla are even together or stay together at the end of EatG.

How important is this subplot? How many other subplots are there? How important do you think it is? How much do you focus on this sub-plot... etc. Remember you can only have two main genres. You could just add as a note there are romance subplots for 'Sparky' and 'McKeller' for example.

On FFN there isn't a definitive guideline for this. Other sites may have them, though. I'm not sure. There are on FFN, however, guidelines for each C2.
                          Plus, there are definitions for the genres. Look them up!
                          IMO, the important thing is you show your respect for your audience by trying to point out the things you think are important. The most important things go first and next the lesser ones of course.

Hope this helps somehow, a little.
                          Please keep in my mind this is, of course, IMO always implied.

Jasper

EDIT/ I would however advise you to first write out your plot and everything and the first chapters or the first draft before starting with the tagging. As I know from personal experience getting sidetracked or adding subplots is a thing that happens often and easily.
                          You don't have to first think all these things over, not if you're not going to post the chapters right away. I, for example, wrote down the plot and basics for my current WiP, plus the first nine chapters before I published the first one. And even now I get sidetracked all the time.
                          Once you established main characters, paring, genre etc. you'll have to stay true to it, from the moment you first post your first part/chapter.
                          Last edited by Jper; 19 February 2009, 10:12 AM.
                          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post

Sparky? Seriously? Sparky! Ha! That's... that's... that's exactly why I hate all the weird names all the different pairings get. Sparky... *snerk*

Anyway, aside from my amusement, your question about tags. I guarantee that, with a few exceptions of things that definitely need to be noted (extreme violence/sex, language, non-con, and other such touchy subjects) you're going to get lots of different answers.

My philosophy is less is better. If people feel the need to be informed of every minute detail of what I write before they start reading well, tough. I personally hate reading through warnings that are longer than the first chapter and give away half the fic; that informs my decisions when I write up warnings for my work. The problem with tags is that it snowballs and the question becomes where do you stop. You could easily write a full page of tags and warnings and still miss something that someone thinks is important.

So, if your fic is all about getting character x and y together, as in primarily a romance, you're better off to put the relationship on it since people get bent out of shape about that kind of thing in Stargate. But if it's just a very minor subplot couched in action, adventure, angst, etc etc then I'd say don't bother. But other people will tell you that if the relationship is even mentioned in passing that you'd darn well better warn for it.

In the end every writer needs to decide for themselves what tags are necessary and live with any backlash their chioces (or omissions) may lead to. If you don't want to risk ticking anyone off then by all means tag it to death.

Comment

what i would do is....if you take the ship out of hte fic, is there still a fic left?

if you take the ship out and there's no story left, then it's a ship fic. But if you can take the ship out and there's plenty of story left and it doesn't drastically change....then the most it needs is a 'mention of.....' comment in the warnings/notes

sigpic

Comment

Hi all,

Quick Air Forceprotocol question, in the hopes someone knows or might have heard in some behind-the-scenes or con chat:

What are the chances and process for AF pilots to take friends or family members up for a jet joyride? (I'm guessing rare to nil given liability and likely demand, but just in case.)

Many thanks in advance!

mirwalker

Comment

Working...
                                X