• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

may I direct you to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

hopefully this explains it for you
    sigpic
    JPJ = John's PuddleJumperJPJ: pssss Lorne I'm a 60%er!
    Major Lorne/Kavan Smith Thunk Thread, Lorne Whumpage Thread, Crazy Alternate Universe Thread, My ff.net account
    Banner sigs :- Shanthaia, CKO, Smurfettethatdoesnotshare, Fenrir Foxz, Kali1, SciFiSGFan and others

Comment

Yeah, didn't help. Too many words, got confusing. I was hoping for a simple explination. You know, one that I could actually understand. I'm just not that smart I guess. Thanx for the help/link anyway JP.

Anyone else wanna give it a shot?
      sigpic
      Sig by ME.

Comment

Essentially, a Mary Sue is a character that is too good to be true. Too perfect.

Is either too smart, or too well-versed in all forms of martial arts, speaks too many languages, etc... and none of these character traits can be reasonably justified.

Even calling this person a genius as a means of justification would be unbelievable because they are just too good at anything they do.

Additionally, usually these types of characters are very brave, kind, etc... thus making almost without flaw.

In essence, this is a character that even the normal supension of disbelief that we sci-fi have become accustomed to wouldn't suffice to make the character acceptable.

Hope that helps.
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you!
          sigpic
          Sig by ME.

Comment

Obscure question, but I wanted to see if anyone knew this before I put it in print:

Has there been a human female with the Ancient's gene, in canon? I know of Jack, Sheppard, Lorne and those men on Atlantis that Kolya captured all had the gene. Adria, I assume, doesn't count!

Just sayin', I could probably get around it by saying the character "might be the only known female" or "one of a handful" to have the gene. The character is prominent and the info effects the storyline. Thanks!
            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
            sigpic
            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1 View Post
              Obscure question, but I wanted to see if anyone knew this before I put it in print:

Has there been a human female with the Ancient's gene, in canon? I know of Jack, Sheppard, Lorne and those men on Atlantis that Kolya captured all had the gene. Adria, I assume, doesn't count!

Just sayin', I could probably get around it by saying the character "might be the only known female" or "one of a handful" to have the gene. The character is prominent and the info effects the storyline. Thanks!
              Not a named character that I recall but in Season 4's Adrift, when Sheppard
              Spoiler:
              gathers together all the remaining gene carriers in the city to pilot the jumpers, at least a couple of them are female.
              So I don't think the occurence of the gene is necessarily rarer in women than men, it's just that we haven't yet had a named female character who's been specifically mentioned as having the gene (probably because there are less Earth women characters in the cast than there are men).
              Last edited by Alipeeps; 15 July 2008, 02:48 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

I haven't heard of any women having the gene, so can't help. All I know is I have written 2 sotries in which my OC who are female, who have the gene, one native to Pegasus the other native to Milkly way.

Whilst I'm here, Does anyone do or know of a beta, mine normal one is very busy and there are a few pages left of one of my stories!

Thank you!
                sigpic
                JPJ = John's PuddleJumperJPJ: pssss Lorne I'm a 60%er!
                Major Lorne/Kavan Smith Thunk Thread, Lorne Whumpage Thread, Crazy Alternate Universe Thread, My ff.net account
                Banner sigs :- Shanthaia, CKO, Smurfettethatdoesnotshare, Fenrir Foxz, Kali1, SciFiSGFan and others

Comment

there has been no canon female carrying the gene
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    Yes there has - see my answer above regarding Season 4's Adrift. Not named characters but they had women flying jumpers.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                      Not a named character that I recall but in Season 4's Adrift, when Sheppard
                      Spoiler:
                      gathers together all the remaining gene carriers in the city to pilot the jumpers, at least a couple of them are female.
                      So I don't think the occurence of the gene is necessarily rarer in women than men, it's just that we haven't yet had a named female character who's been specifically mentioned as having the gene (probably because there are less Earth women characters in the cast than there are men).
                      Originally posted by John's PuddleJumper View Post
                      I haven't heard of any women having the gene, so can't help. All I know is I have written 2 sotries in which my OC who are female, who have the gene, one native to Pegasus the other native to Milkly way.

<<snippy-zippy>>
                      Thank you!
                      Yes there has - see my answer above regarding Season 4's Adrift. Not named characters but they had women flying jumpers.
                      Wow, thanks for the responses. Alipeeps I know the ep you mentioned, but it's not clear if these were gene-therapy recipients like their male counterparts of not; even Rodney pilots a jumper now. But thanks for reminding me of it; I'll do a recon and see what may help there.

Just sayin', I appreciate the answers and thank you one and all!
                      sigpic

Comment

Wow, thanks for the responses. Alipeeps I know the ep you mentioned, but it's not clear if these were gene-therapy recipients like their male counterparts of not; even Rodney pilots a jumper now. But thanks for reminding me of it; I'll do a recon and see what may help there.

Just sayin', I appreciate the answers and thank you one and all!
                        Ah well, you didn't specify that you were asking about natural gene carriers. Other than Carson, Rodney and Sheppard, we don't know the natural/artificial gene status of any of the gene carriers.
                        sigpic

Comment

in other words...there were females amongst the extras cast to play jumper pilots, so you can interpret it as there being females that carry it, but there is no specific 'it is distributed across gender lines' comment...so do whatever you want with it
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Ah well, you didn't specify that you were asking about natural gene carriers. Other than Carson, Rodney and Sheppard, we don't know the natural/artificial gene status of any of the gene carriers.
                            That is true.

in other words...there were females amongst the extras cast to play jumper pilots, so you can interpret it as there being females that carry it, but there is no specific 'it is distributed across gender lines' comment...so do whatever you want with it
                            Just sayin', thanks again; your responses were really helpful. I know how I want to deal with it now.
                            sigpic

Comment

Dr Miko Kusanagi is the only ATA-gene carrying woman that I can think of that was actually named and she's an easy one to miss. She's only been spoken of once and seen once ("Letters from Pegasus"). She's named in the ep where Rodney's working on something in the Chair Room and picked Carson to help him, but Carson gets called away to the Infirmary. As he leaves, Rodney tells Radek to go get Miko. (Of course, Rodney doesn't actually know her name, he just starts describing her and Radek understands who he means.)

Of course, you could always name an extra and make her your main character. (Would that count as making a Mary Sue?)
                              : How much time do you need?
                              : ...a week... : ...a couple of hours.
                              : I'll take the second estimate. Go.
                              to : What are you? Union?

My LJ Got Ghosts? Gadzooks!

Comment

Originally posted by whiskeygirl406 View Post
                                Dr Miko Kusanagi is the only ATA-gene carrying woman that I can think of that was actually named and she's an easy one to miss. She's only been spoken of once and seen once ("Letters from Pegasus"). She's named in the ep where Rodney's working on something in the Chair Room and picked Carson to help him, but Carson gets called away to the Infirmary. As he leaves, Rodney tells Radek to go get Miko. (Of course, Rodney doesn't actually know her name, he just starts describing her and Radek understands who he means.)

Of course, you could always name an extra and make her your main character. (Would that count as making a Mary Sue?)
                                Wow, that's good lookin' out, whiskeygirl406! Thanks much!

Just sayin', can't comment on the Mary-Sue stuff; this is all I needed. So, much obliged!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X