Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the DHD control crystal? Aris Boch removed it in 'Deadman Switch' and it prevented SG-1 going through the Stargate. It's also pretty small. Here's the only screengrab I could find that shows it: http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis..._display_media
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

It's a possibility, yes.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        The only thing I can think of is his dislike of Russians. But I wouldn't call that racist.
        what about the Tok'ra? he is kind of racist against them (he does not even try to like them, he shies away from even entertaining the thought that they are not just arrogant slimy little parasites (also: the arrongant part is kind of right) that are not worth it - with the exception of Jacob Carter maybe)

greetings LAX

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
          what about the Tok'ra? he is kind of racist against them (he does not even try to like them, he shies away from even entertaining the thought that they are not just arrogant slimy little parasites (also: the arrongant part is kind of right) that are not worth it - with the exception of Jacob Carter maybe)

greetings LAX
          That's because of the goa'uld. He can't shake the idea that the Tok'ra are not much better than goa'uld. He has yet to see any real proof that they are. Jacob is an anomaly because he's from earth and has been blended with a Tok'ra, and Jack grudgingly has some respect for Selmac. If all Tok'ra behaved a bit more like Jacob/Selmac, he probably could and would see them in a different light. Jack is a person that has to be shown proof that someone is worthwhile before he'll trust them.

Comment

This may sound silly but are there any people who play, or at least know how to play, (American bar) pool? I'm writing a pool scene but I'm not sure about how to designate the pockets (are they numbered or just lower/upper right/left corner and right/left center?) and whether all shots should be called or only the 8-ball.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              This may sound silly but are there any people who play, or at least know how to play, (American bar) pool? I'm writing a pool scene but I'm not sure about how to designate the pockets (are they numbered or just lower/upper right/left corner and right/left center?) and whether all shots should be called or only the 8-ball.
              The pockets are just "corner" and sides, after that it depends on exactly what you are playing. "8 ball" where you sink the balls according to "big" or "small" and then go for the black is probably the most common, in which case, you only have to call the black. If your setting is a pub, that's probably what you would use.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                The pockets are just "corner" and sides, after that it depends on exactly what you are playing. "8 ball" where you sink the balls according to "big" or "small" and then go for the black is probably the most common, in which case, you only have to call the black. If your setting is a pub, that's probably what you would use.
                Thanks!
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

No probs
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    "8 ball" where you sink the balls according to "big" or "small" and then go for the black is probably the most common, in which case, you only have to call the black.
                    I always played "stripes" or "solids" in 8-ball. Being careful not to sink the cue ball.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                      I always played "stripes" or "solids" in 8-ball. Being careful not to sink the cue ball.

Seaboe
                      Yes, I read bigs and littles or highs and lows are used as well to indicate the striped and solid ones, but those terms are rarer. I'm simply using solid/stripes but got the reference.
                      On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Sometimes in British pubs with a pool table, the only numbered ball is the eight ball. The other balls are either red or yellow.

I've always assumed that this is because Snooker is more popular in the UK, and it's easier (and cheaper) to get red and yellow Snooker balls rather than numbered Pool balls.
                        sigpic
                        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          Well, I used to play a LOT, and I've never encountered the pockets being numbered. Just "corner pocket" or "center pocket", etc, with exactly which pocket generally being indicated by a gesture. As for calling shots, whether or not to call them other than the 8-ball seems to vary widely according to where and with whom one is playing. I've played some very informal matches where we never called anything except the 8-ball or complicated shots involving banking off the rails or using one ball to send another ball someplace. I've played others where every shot was expected to be called (this is fairly common in league play, for example), often when the game involved money or else was in a venue where people took their game very seriously.

Also, the only terminology for the balls that I've ever encountered in the 30 years since I began playing was "stripes" and "solids". I suppose that might vary according to geography. My own play has taken place mainly in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Kentucky, Indiana and Michigan.

Now you've got me wanting to go and shoot pool. I haven't done that in a while. I'll have to remedy that.
                          Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 31 May 2013, 09:18 AM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                          sigpic
                          now also appearing on DeviantArt
                          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Thanks guys!
                            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                              Also, the only terminology for the balls that I've ever encountered in the 30 years since I began playing was "stripes" and "solids". I suppose that might vary according to geography. My own play has taken place mainly in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Kentucky, Indiana and Michigan.
                              Over here in Scotland, they're "spots" and "stripes".
                              sigpic

Comment

Oh, and one more thing: do you have to call out the suit (striped vs solid) you're playing for after breaking or isn't that necessary? I mean, it's kinda obvious you'll be playing for the ones you've potted any/the most of after breaking, but I guess you could be aiming to pocket one (your favored, but unspoken, suit) and accidentally pocket the other if you hadn't called out the shot/suit first... So, is it a rule to call a suit after breaking but before your second shot?
                                On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X