This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*meekly raises hand*

I don't know how to condense this question down, so I'm just going to do the best I can:

I want to make sure my main plot device in my fic is sound. I have a Goa'uld/Tok'ra who lives on a planet that is not known to other Goa'uld system lords (it is not on the Abydos cartouche). She has voluntarily exiled herself to this planet to keep her "son" stranded there because he is typical of Goa'uld (the main character has pulled and Egeria and no longer follows the old goa'uld ways) -she has hidden the Stargate in a cave on an island and this world has several strong Naquada deposits (so her son can't just go right to the gate like Hathor did on Earth).

SG-1 blunders onto the gate address and comes through the gate.

I want to strand them on the planet for a time until they meet the main character, so to impede them from just leaving, I had thought to have my main character remove a crystal from the DHD (leaves no evidence of tampering that could be picked up by the MALP), and set a booby trap that divides the DHD from the gate (so that they cannot manually dial out by turning the rings). I explain this elaborate setup as a trap set by the female goa'uld to capture any jaffa or other goa'uld who may inadvertently find her planet so that her secret is kept safe and her son is kept contained.

The force shield is the only thing I can think of to prevent SG-1 from manually dialing out. I think that I still want radio signals to pass through the shield, so they can still communicate with SGC.

Sound good? Any other ideas?
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki Alexander View Post
      I have an idea for a deleted scene/prologue type fic for my SG-3 off world fic, which will mostly focus on an original character who was kidnapped by rogue NID and will explain why and how she comes to be stranded on the planet that SG-3 end up getting stranded on four years later, or would that be something you wouldn't really be interested in.

I could tack it onto the beginning of this SG-3 fic, but it would probably make it longer then planned, and I'd kinda like to separate them. I may end up writing it anyway even if no one would be interested, and just not publish it. But I wanted to get people's opinions before I start working on it.
      It is always helpful to write backstories for your characters, even if it is not published as a whole, you will find that you draw from it quite a lot and it gives the character added dimension, but don't bog yourself down with writing something perfect -just flesh it out and move on.
      sigpic
      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Anybody here got any tips for breaking up an extended back and forth dialogue between two characters? By this stage of the story there aren't really any other characters that can be used, and it's devolved into Character #1 always asking and Character #2 always answering and it's really, really boring... I'm already trying to wedge in bits of stage action but I think it needs something more.
        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
        sigpic
        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
          *meekly raises hand*

I don't know how to condense this question down, so I'm just going to do the best I can:

I want to make sure my main plot device in my fic is sound. I have a Goa'uld/Tok'ra who lives on a planet that is not known to other Goa'uld system lords (it is not on the Abydos cartouche). She has voluntarily exiled herself to this planet to keep her "son" stranded there because he is typical of Goa'uld (the main character has pulled and Egeria and no longer follows the old goa'uld ways) -she has hidden the Stargate in a cave on an island and this world has several strong Naquada deposits (so her son can't just go right to the gate like Hathor did on Earth).

I want to strand them on the planet for a time until they meet the main character, so to impede them from just leaving, I had thought to have my main character remove a crystal from the DHD (leaves no evidence of tampering that could be picked up by the MALP), and set a booby trap that divides the DHD from the gate (so that they cannot manually dial out by turning the rings). I explain this elaborate setup as a trap set by the female goa'uld to capture any jaffa or other goa'uld who may inadvertently find her planet so that her secret is kept safe and her son is kept contained.

The force shield is the only thing I can think of to prevent SG-1 from manually dialing out. I think that I still want radio signals to pass through the shield, so they can still communicate with SGC.

Seems okay to me.
          No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
          It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

*meekly raises hand*

Like in S9 (or was it 10) when they find Merlin and he's making the weapon and there's that obelisk that sends them to different planets using the Stargate but it's disconnected from the rest of the gate network. But anyway, what you've mentioned there already looks good, I like the idea it's good.
            sigpic
            McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
            Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
            ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

*meekly raises hand*

You could also look over the details of The Fifth Race where Jack used the knowledge of the Ancients to draw the blueprints of the DHD because "SG-1" (Sam, Teal'c and Major Castleman) was stranded on P9Q-281 because the DHD was seizing up or something and they also couldn't dial the gate manually for some reason. Perhaps that could give you an alternative to the shield.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Whoa, does Colonel Reynolds really become a Lieutenant General,
                Not that I know of. I just think he should. Actually, he'd probably only be a Brigadier by 2012.
                Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                Anybody here got any tips for breaking up an extended back and forth dialogue between two characters? By this stage of the story there aren't really any other characters that can be used, and it's devolved into Character #1 always asking and Character #2 always answering and it's really, really boring... I'm already trying to wedge in bits of stage action but I think it needs something more.
                What are they doing? If it's not urgent action, you might try throwing in some description. Have the characters acknowledge the boredom. Have Character #1 become exasperated with always having to ask and either try to figure stuff out (internal dialog) or demand Character #2 expand on the answers to make subsequent questions unnecessary.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

To break a gate, you pull the control crystal the gate doesn't work. The red control crystal is the main battery/mother board. With nothing to hold hte power, doesn't matter if you try to manually dial, it won't work. The only way through is with a naqahdah generator or to rig something like they did in Torment of Tantalus.

Then all you need is to keep someone from dialing in, what if this goa'uld has stumbled across the idea of an iris, and one closes as soon as the team comes through. The control crystal is the key to removing the iris and dialing out, the planet can be far enough away that help can't come anytime soon and you can still have them in contact with the SGC if you want, or have the iris so far within the event horizon that the gate is as good as buried.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Is there a difference between disobeying and defying an order? For example, in SG-1's season one finale the team is disobeying orders by going through the gate [to stop Apophis] and in Upgrades the team sneaks off base to eat steak etc and Jack tells Hammond they were defying orders.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Thanks everybody!

Sky: Thanks for the info on the red crystal. The gate address is so far off the grid that she's not too worried about anybody dialing in, and she has set minions in place to collect anybody that does make it through (I think in my plot, though, SG-1 will be the first that have).

I also watched 'Prisoners' today, and was reminded that manual dialing is not possible if you have no power! I will rewatch 'The Fifth Race' to try to tease out more info.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Totally locking out the gate will depend on whether or not the SGC will send help.

Now if SG1 was fleeing from another planet, then the SGC has no idea where they are so can't come after them. But if they were leaving from the SGC and didn't make their return, SOP is to open the gate, try for communication, send a UAV and possibly a rescue team.

All depends on your plot of course.

You said a cave on an island.....what if the cave holding the gate is under the high tide line? and, on this planet, high tide lasts for days. Add some turbulence and waves and rocks and you make it suicide to try and dial out, or for the SGC to dial in.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          Is there a difference between disobeying and defying an order? For example, in SG-1's season one finale the team is disobeying orders by going through the gate [to stop Apophis] and in Upgrades the team sneaks off base to eat steak etc and Jack tells Hammond they were defying orders.
                          I would say not, but I am not and never have been in the military.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

What do you do about massive flames that not only insult you but your readers?
                            sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

^ Are they anonymous or signed on, because I was going to say if they have an account then maybe you could report them or something. Or maybe just tell them if they can't leave nice constructive critism then to stop leaving reviews at all.

I'm sorry, I'm not really much help.
                              sigpic
                              McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
                              Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
                              ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

^ Are they anonymous or signed on, because I was going to say if they have an account then maybe you could report them or something. Or maybe just tell them if they can't leave nice constructive critism then to stop leaving reviews at all.

I'm sorry, I'm not really much help.
                                This person actually was signed in. And yes, I reported them. Now I just have to wait to see what is done about it.
                                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Working...
                                X