Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is veering into Monty Python territory here.

"It's spelled Luxury Yacht, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler-Mangrove."
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
      I go with the theory that if a character has a speaking part longer than a cameo, they need a name. I was told about over-naming in a panel on names. The speakers set out a few rules (don't use random apostrophes, don't use unpronounceable names, don't name every single character), then the panel was hijacked by some goon in the audience who was so proud of himself--yet he'd broken all three of those rules in his novel-in-progress. He didn't seem self-aware enough to realize he was bragging about violating the tenets the speakers had just given.

Seaboe
      For me it also depends what kind of function or relation to the main characters the character has, as well as the length of your scenes/chapters. For example, if your chapters are 10K there's a good chance a cameo with lines has a bigger role than when your chapters are no more than 2500 words.

If the 'extra' is a random airman, soldier, cashier, customer etc that has a dozen or so spoken lines I don't think they necessarily require a name, as you can refer to them by occupation, sex, appearance and so on. A relative, especially a parent (or in-law) also doesn't necessarily need a name in my book if they're not that vital to the story, even if they have a handful of lines in a couple of scenes as they can be referred to by their last name (in-law) or mother/mom, father/dad.

However, if these relatives have only a handful of lines in maybe five scenes throughout your entire story but their contributions influence the actions of the important characters, then they do require a name in my opinion. The same goes for some random person who maybe only makes one appearance, in which he makes a huge discovery or screw something up etc; they need a name because of their function in the story.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
        I go with the theory that if a character has a speaking part longer than a cameo, they need a name. I was told about over-naming in a panel on names. The speakers set out a few rules (don't use random apostrophes, don't use unpronounceable names, don't name every single character), <snipped>
        Seaboe
        *cough* Teal'c *cough*

Bwahahaha...

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
        This is veering into Monty Python territory here.
        "It's spelled Luxury Yacht, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler-Mangrove."
        *snort*
        sigpic
        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I pull character names from the phone book, or TV, for example, when I was writing one fic of mine I was watching West Wing....so there's a sgt seaborne and another one named Sam, a commercial for David Copperfield came on so one character was named lt copperfield, etc.

I've also pulled out the company phone book, pick one person's first name, another's last name.

If i'm going for alien names, i can take 'earth' ones and tweak the spelling or i look at a map, it's amazing how many 'alien looking' names there are for towns. Galena, Rantoul, etc.

A baby book is also good if you're looking for a specific nationality. I once wrote a fic based on the premise that they were the descendants of the 'lost 13th tribe' of Israel, so i pulled out Hebrew names then tweaked the spelling for all the aliens.

I've also found it quite cathartic to name doomed red shirt characters after co-workers that have annoyed me
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            I pull character names from the phone book, or TV, for example, when I was writing one fic of mine I was watching West Wing....so there's a sgt seaborne and another one named Sam, a commercial for David Copperfield came on so one character was named lt copperfield, etc.

I've also pulled out the company phone book, pick one person's first name, another's last name.

If i'm going for alien names, i can take 'earth' ones and tweak the spelling or i look at a map, it's amazing how many 'alien looking' names there are for towns. Galena, Rantoul, etc.

A baby book is also good if you're looking for a specific nationality. I once wrote a fic based on the premise that they were the descendants of the 'lost 13th tribe' of Israel, so i pulled out Hebrew names then tweaked the spelling for all the aliens.

I've also found it quite cathartic to name doomed red shirt characters after co-workers that have annoyed me
            sigpic
            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I'd look up most forgettable last names and pair it with an equally forgettable first name if there's an unimportant character and use that, especially if they're just mentioned but not taken any further!

As for alien names and races...well, I'm still making my way through that!
              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Anyone have an extra invite for AO3?
                sigpic
                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I have a quick military-related question that I couldn't find the answer to by googling, so I was hoping someone here might know the answer: are Jack's BDUs in season 8 (when he's base commander) appropriate/according to regulations or not? I'm asking because he's the only general/base commander we've ever seen wearing BDUs and it's also the first time we see BDUs with sewn-on ranks on the collar, I believe.
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I've seen other TV shows where the base commander's wore BDUs. I've also seen pics and videos of military events where senior officers (including flag officers) wore BDUs on duty at bases and other facilities.

As base commander it is up Jack to declare what the uniform of the day is supposed to be. Since Jack prefers a more relaxed style he usually wears the BDUs and probably made it a standing order that BDUs were the uniform of the day. Since the SGC is an Air Force command, BDUs in this instance would include flight suits.

Jack would probably keep a set of Service Dress uniforms on hand at the SGC for when wearing them would be required.

Of course I think a large part of seeing Jack mostly in the BDUs would be Rick's preference of BDUs over dress uniforms.
                    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                      Anyone have an extra invite for AO3?
                      I checked, but I didn't have any and when I requested more, it said I can't have any more right now...the scrooge!!!
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                        I checked, but I didn't have any and when I requested more, it said I can't have any more right now...the scrooge!!!
                        Thanks for checking. I know they're trying to grow slowly, but I've been a member for about a year (I think); would've thought I'd get ONE by now to invite a friend...
                        sigpic

Comment

Whytewytch, I'll play help desk and ask the obvious question: you did ask them for one, didn't you?

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Well, when I went to request one, this is the message I got:

"Sorry, new invitations are not currently available. If you're a challenge mod or are looking to preserve works from another site, please contact Support."

I'm not either of those things.

There's some silly stuff on there, like them counting my postings of new chaps as hits for that story (unless someone's stalking me and reading them immediately as I put them up--). Ah, well--every site has its quirks, I guess.
                            sigpic

Comment

I have a question regarding military jurisdiction vs. civilian jurisdiction which I tried googling but couldn't quite get around the legalese. If, for instance, a member of congress or the house of senate gets arrested for a crime such as illegal international weapons trading - would he/she be arrested by the FBI, or the military police? On the contrary, should a high-ranking military officer be arrested for the same crime, would he/she fall under military jurisdiction?

I'm not entirely sure if the military and civilian legal boundaries are kept entirely separate in a case like this.

Thanks in advance!
                              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
                                I have a question regarding military jurisdiction vs. civilian jurisdiction which I tried googling but couldn't quite get around the legalese. If, for instance, a member of congress or the house of senate gets arrested for a crime such as illegal international weapons trading - would he/she be arrested by the FBI, or the military police? On the contrary, should a high-ranking military officer be arrested for the same crime, would he/she fall under military jurisdiction?

I'm not entirely sure if the military and civilian legal boundaries are kept entirely separate in a case like this.

Thanks in advance!
                                I won't pretend to know about this, but if it's for Stargate purposes I would take a look at what happened in Smoke&Mirrors, as it had Jack (a military officer) supposedly killing a senator and the Trust (rich business men) being hunted down by the NID (and Sam).
                                On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X